Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    ^^^ truth
  • lyndsaysmith2013
    lyndsaysmith2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I'm sorry if my comment offended. That wasn't my intent. I was commenting ONLY on the TV show, which is exactly that: a show for ratings and not reality. It was not directed towards reality nor anyone who has dealt with this in real life.

Congrats on your success! I'm sorry you are still dealing with stigmas. I have serious issues with my mom as well, but for other reasons so I can somewhat empathize. I'm sure Whitney's parents were / are in some way enablers but I can't say for sure as I don't know any of them personally. Wishing you continued health and happiness![/quote]

No offense taken!!! It wasn't your comment by any means. This show in general, and the other WLS show(s) make me mad. Mad enough that I have to leave the room when I'm visiting someone's house and they watch it, and then try to compare me to the show.

It's my issue, not anyone elses. :) and thank you!! It's definitely not the easy way out, and each day is different after surgery. I've lost about half of what I want to lose, and just keep on going.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Government pays more than 50% of healthcare costs now in the US. I'm not okay with the "their choice" crap either.

And this is why I oppose socialized medicine. It makes people like you think you have a right to control my body.

In America, you'd be driving somebody else's premium up. I've never known anybody in real life who had a problem with their taxes covering someone else's lifestyle related issues.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I watched several episodes a while back. I think she was getting a diagnosis of pre-diabetes then. On the shows I watched, she *was* trying to lose weight. She just seemed totally uneducated about how to do it correctly. She was not paying any attention to her diet & was trying to just exercise it off. I don't think that's uncommon for people who don't have any idea about calorie counting.

I do remember thinking that she was doing so well physically because she's still young. I didn't have a lot of health problems when I was morbidly obese, but my joints were definitely damaged & that stayed with me even after I lost the weight. If she feels good about herself at her size, then good for her. That is an acceptance that I was never able to find for myself when I was nearly 300 lbs. Based on the shows I saw & what I've seen in this thread, I'd say that her being healthy at that size is less than accurate. I do remember watching the show & thinking that she should look into a good weight loss surgery program (with good pre-education & post-surgical support). I don't think she's different than a lot of people. Most of us spent a good number of years in denial & making excuses & trying things that didn't work before we hit the bottom & really committed.
  • slava977
    slava977 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The following is somewhat off topic but an interesting observation... I live in Vancouver, Canada and there is A LOT of social pressure to be thin/normal and physically active. I'm 39, 5'7 and 172 lbs (spread proportionately - my stomachs is almost completely flat) - and I feel VERY BIG when I attend a party or a social gathering around here. Three weeks ago I attended a bridal shower with 35 women in attendance and I was BY FAR the largest person in the room. Most women were size 4-6. And those were just random women from all walks of life (between the ages of 27 and 45), only the bride was their common connection for the most part..

Then a week ago I drove to Washington state to visit a friend. I was just north of Seattle (about 30 minutes from downtown). On the way to her place I stopped at a local Safeway to pick up some groceries. Something caught my eye and I started paying attention. About 85% of women (customers/staff) in that store were larger than me.. I'd say about 30% of women were over 250 lbs. Even most young girls were heavy. It really made an impression on me. There must be something very wrong overall with people's diet in the US. I'm not saying it to offend anyone (US is a great country and I have many friends there) - I just don't understand how and why is it the case? And why is it so different from Vancouver?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    slava977 wrote: »
    The following is somewhat off topic but an interesting observation... I live in Vancouver, Canada and there is A LOT of social pressure to be thin/normal and physically active. I'm 39, 5'7 and 172 lbs (spread proportionately - my stomachs is almost completely flat) - and I feel VERY BIG when I attend a party or a social gathering around here. Three weeks ago I attended a bridal shower with 35 women in attendance and I was BY FAR the largest person in the room. Most women were size 4-6. And those were just random women from all walks of life (between the ages of 27 and 45), only the bride was their common connection for the most part..

Then a week ago I drove to Washington state to visit a friend. I was just north of Seattle (about 30 minutes from downtown). On the way to her place I stopped at a local Safeway to pick up some groceries. Something caught my eye and I started paying attention. About 85% of women (customers/staff) in that store were larger than me.. I'd say about 30% of women were over 250 lbs. Even most young girls were heavy. It really made an impression on me. There must be something very wrong overall with people's diet in the US. I'm not saying it to offend anyone (US is a great country and I have many friends there) - I just don't understand how and why is it the case? And why is it so different from Vancouver?

Never been to Vancouver but I know of it. From what I've gathered, Vancouver is almost like a mini Manhattan. Very walkable, you can take buses and trains everywhere instead of cars. Some places in Washington are not like that and you need a car to get anywhere.

If you go to Manhattan you'll see the same thing. People walking everywhere and most people look normal weight wise. It's usually the tourists that are bigger.
  • Peregrymj
    Peregrymj Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Vancouver's very health conscious, walkable, and has a very large food culture, but they're all about quality over quantity. Lots of Asian cooking influence. I love visiting there.
    In contrast the US, whenever we go down there (from Canada) we are baffled by their massive food portions, one American portion feeds two-to three of us, not to mention the food is always covered in butter, cheese, pasta and for some reason Nutella. Them calories add up fast!
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Peregrymj wrote: »
    Vancouver's very health conscious, walkable, and has a very large food culture, but they're all about quality over quantity. Lots of Asian cooking influence. I love visiting there.
    In contrast the US, whenever we go down there (from Canada) we are baffled by their massive food portions, one American portion feeds two-to three of us, not to mention the food is always covered in butter, cheese, pasta and for some reason Nutella. Them calories add up fast!

Don't make assumptions about the US and Canada on just two samples.

I live in Buffalo, NY. The people there seem far more healthy than the people right across the border in Fort Erie, ON. Fort Erie has a depressed economy. It seems like everyone there is fat, on government assistance, hangs out in Bingo Halls and Tim Hortons. Buffalo, on the other hand has a great network of bicycle routes, and is a walking city.

Then go to Toronto, where people walk all the time, and the people there seem slimmer. That's equivalent to the people you see in New York City.

I've been to Europe. In London, the people seem slimmer than the people 20 miles outside of London. Again, I attribute that to people walking more living inside the city.

Denver is one of the healthiest cities. Probably compares favorably to Vancouver, as there is so much to do in the outdoors.
  • april1779
    april1779 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can't stand TLC. I remember years ago when it had shows like Birth Story or whatever it was called, those were the kinds of reality shows they had, and I'm pretty sure TLC stood for "the learning channel". Now it's like they specialize in cashing in on people's misery, creating drama for ratings. I've never seen this show, and I can't see myself ever tuning in.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    haviegirl wrote: »
    april1779 wrote: »
    I can't stand TLC. I remember years ago when it had shows like Birth Story or whatever it was called, those were the kinds of reality shows they had, and I'm pretty sure TLC stood for "the learning channel". Now it's like they specialize in cashing in on people's misery, creating drama for ratings. I've never seen this show, and I can't see myself ever tuning in.

TLC=Tawdry Lifestyle Channel. Ugh. I'm thinking now of the shows that featured people who ate couch cushions and such.

Oh goodness. That sounds really familiar. Was that show called My Strange Addiction?
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options

TLC=Tawdry Lifestyle Channel. Ugh. I'm thinking now of the shows that featured people who ate couch cushions and such.

Oh goodness. That sounds really familiar. Was that show called My Strange Addiction?

Something like that, yes. One woman drank nail polish. Glorifying pica was the gist of that show.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Something like that, yes. One woman drank nail polish. Glorifying pica was the gist of that show.

Tell me about it. I remember another woman ate nothing but potatoes. :neutral:
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

I don't think it's a Canada/U.S. thing. Our stats are very similar. What stuck out to me is that you were at a party in Vancouver with women from " all walks of life" which means affluent to super-affluent. When you stepped into a Safeway you were probably in a regular town with a normal economic cross section of people.

Vancouver is a very special place ;)
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    A million shows like this is the reason I dumped cable 5 years ago.

I also don't slow down to look at car accidents.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the title of that show has one too many "f"s in it...
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

Peregrymj wrote: »

Why are we lumping all of the US into one place? We certainly do not all eat the same or engage in the same level of activity across the country.

I'm in Dallas. It has enough public transport to get by and some walkable neighborhoods, but it is definitely not a walkable city as a whole. It's also in the south, which is stereotyped for deep-frying everything and adding lard or butter to vegetables. Within the city, there's a wide range of sizes. In my neighborhood, a walkable one inhabited primarily by young professionals, most people aren't overweight. I'm a size 4, and I'm larger than most of the women in my condo complex. In an affluent suburb, you'll see a mix - some people are negatively impacted by driving everywhere and not compensating for it, while others are putting their their money toward gym memberships and healthy eating. In a poorer part of town, there will be more overweight people.

As far as restaurants go, I rarely dine at establishments that give me huge portions. I primarily cook at home, but when I dine out I choose to spend my money on upscale restaurants that serve smaller portions with high-quality, local ingredients. My friends in a lower economic bracket opt for places that give them a big volume of food - they want to feel like they're getting their money's worth. It's a different mindset.

I will say I think the US is guilty of the trashiest of all trashy reality television. We romanticize the most ridiculous ideas.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I've watched it for a while, and yes, she is in total denial. I think last week she said she likes being fat, but how on earth can she feel good being that heavy? She does have a bubbly personality, but I think it is covering up how she really feels. Plus, I think she's using PCOS as an excuse also.

Agree with Mom22dogs...it's like a train wreck but you keep watching anyway!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I don't think it's a Canada/U.S. thing. Our stats are very similar. What stuck out to me is that you were at a party in Vancouver with women from " all walks of life" which means affluent to super-affluent. When you stepped into a Safeway you were probably in a regular town with a normal economic cross section of people.

Vancouver is a very special place ;)

Yeah, I see big differences in social groups. I live in a big city in an upper middle class neighborhood and interact professionally mostly with similar groups, and obesity is pretty rare. I also constantly see people biking and running or doing something active in the park. But in the city/metro area as a whole there's lots of obesity, and in some areas/stores outside of my neighborhood it would be a high percentage of people.

My parents live near Portland, OR, and I find the prevalence of obesity really changes depending on what store you are in or who you are hanging out with. My dad is into outdoorsy activities, and if you hung out with his mountain biking friends you'd think everyone was thin. Go into a suburban Safeway, and yeah, a much greater mix (although not everyone being overweight where he is).