Need to lose weight urgently

Options
Hi everyone.

In planning on losing weight before the 27th of July( my births)

Can anyone assist

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Can anyone assist

How much would you like to lose before your birthday (presume births means birthday)?

What are your stats?

I'm not trying to be rude, but why such an urgency to lose weight before your birthday when it comes up once a year. If I've misunderstood the use of the term births, then please explain to me what it is. Still, there should be no urgency.

So, here's the deal about weight loss: the only thing required is a calorie deficit. In other words, eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. The less amount of weight you have to lose, the slower it is and the longer it takes. How you get a calorie deficit is individual, but I've chosen to weigh my food, log everything I eat and drink, so that I am aware of just how much I am eating. I only eat cardio exercise calories back using numbers rendered from my heart rate monitor, any other exercise is logged but counted as zero calories.

The less weight you have to lose, the smaller your calorie deficit needs to be. If you have 25 or less, then a half pound a week. More than 25, it's a pound a week, more than 50. a pound and a half a week, and finally more than 75 is two pounds a week. No matter how you look at it, you will not be able to lose any significant amount of weight before July 27 because it's only four weeks away. :)
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Without more information, there's not much any of us can assist you with aside from eat in a calorie deficit. What are your stats an goals?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    In five weeks you can expect to lose up to(1) 10 pounds of fat, if you do everything correctly.
    Set an appropriate(2) calorie goal, weigh everything you eat (and drink that has calories), check every entry with food label or USDA database before you log, log everything, and aim to hit your calorie goal every day(3).

Notes:
    1 - Maximum weight loss rate depends on how much you have to lose. The more fat you have on your body, the faster you can lose. The "last" pounds, depending on where you set your cutoff, will come off very slowly, maybe half a pound per week. This is normal, and good, and nothing you can do to change.

Weigh yourself regularly, under similar conditions. Your body consists of lots of different components, each of different density, and weight fluctuates naturally, independently from fat loss or gain. Do not give up a good plan just because the scale shows a higher weight. If you are doing everything correctly, your weight will go down.

2 - The right amount of calories is important so that you lose weight, but don't suffer from eating too little. You shouldn't feel more hunger than is acceptable. Trying to force weight loss by eating too little, will only backfire. You WILL get hungry, and you WILL eat too much to compensate.

3 - You can "bank" calories and for instance eat more on weekends. But don't "cheat". Your body keeps track even if you don't log.

You can eat anything you like, but to be able to stick to the correct level of calories, you'll soon notice that some foods and habits are more efficient than others, and you learn how to tweak and adjust to suit your needs, preferences and schedule. So - be patient, have realistic expectations, be open minded, be creative, be critical.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    In five weeks you can expect to lose up to(1) 10 pounds of fat, if you do everything correctly.
    Set an appropriate(2) calorie goal, weigh everything you eat (and drink that has calories), check every entry with food label or USDA database before you log, log everything, and aim to hit your calorie goal every day(3).

Notes:
    1 - Maximum weight loss rate depends on how much you have to lose. The more fat you have on your body, the faster you can lose. The "last" pounds, depending on where you set your cutoff, will come off very slowly, maybe half a pound per week. This is normal, and good, and nothing you can do to change.

Weigh yourself regularly, under similar conditions. Your body consists of lots of different components, each of different density, and weight fluctuates naturally, independently from fat loss or gain. Do not give up a good plan just because the scale shows a higher weight. If you are doing everything correctly, your weight will go down.

2 - The right amount of calories is important so that you lose weight, but don't suffer from eating too little. You shouldn't feel more hunger than is acceptable. Trying to force weight loss by eating too little, will only backfire. You WILL get hungry, and you WILL eat too much to compensate.

3 - You can "bank" calories and for instance eat more on weekends. But don't "cheat". Your body keeps track even if you don't log.

You can eat anything you like, but to be able to stick to the correct level of calories, you'll soon notice that some foods and habits are more efficient than others, and you learn how to tweak and adjust to suit your needs, preferences and schedule. So - be patient, have realistic expectations, be open minded, be creative, be critical.

Number one is not accurate. The original post is generic, and she has not provided any information.
  • yesiamkat
    yesiamkat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Can anyone assist
    Hi everyone.

Can anyone assist
    Hi everyone.

Can anyone assist

Add me!
  • kommodevaran
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Notes:

Number one is not accurate. The original post is generic, and she has not provided any information.

It's accurate enough. You can lose more/faster, if you're morbidly obese, but 2 pounds per week is the maximum MFP will allow. You will most probably lose less, that's what "up to" means. Uh, I even provided an elaboration.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Notes:

It's accurate enough. You can lose more/faster, but 2 pounds per week is the maximum MFP will allow. You will most probably lose less, that's what "up to" means.

What if the OP has 10lbs to lose total? Can they safely lose 10lbs in 5 weeks? How many daily calories would that put them at?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Notes:

It's accurate enough. You can lose more/faster, if you're morbidly obese, but 2 pounds per week is the maximum MFP will allow. You will most probably lose less, that's what "up to" means.

No it's not accurate enough.

If she's obese, maybe 10 pounds will come off.

If she's smaller and close to normal weight, she will not lose much because it comes off much slower. This is even if she sets her goals to lose 2 pounds a week
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Notes:

It's accurate enough. You can lose more/faster, but 2 pounds per week is the maximum MFP will allow. You will most probably lose less, that's what "up to" means.

What if the OP has 10lbs to lose total? Can they safely lose 10lbs in 5 weeks? How many daily calories would that put them at?

Of course not. Is the last part of my post, and the "up to", invisible? If a loss of 10 pounds gives you a BMI of 21, that will take maybe 20 weeks. It's not recommended to eat less than 1200 calories per day.

I'm starting to think you're kidding with me, both of you :p
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Notes:

Of course not. Is the last part of my post, and the "up to", invisible? If a loss of 10 pounds gives you a BMI of 21, that will take maybe 20 weeks. It's not recommended to eat less than 1200 calories per day.

That is how people get unreasonable expectations though. Oh, I should lose up to 10lbs, why have I only lost 3? I should do more and restrict further.

And the OP needs to provide more information before any practical advice can be given.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Are "up to" and "depending on" such difficult concepts to grasp? If they don't mean anything to you, and can't be explained, I'll just silently withdraw from this conversation.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Notes:

That is how people get unreasonable expectations though. Oh, I should lose up to 10lbs, why have I only lost 3? I should do more and restrict further.

And the OP needs to provide more information before any practical advice can be given.

Agreed. While "up to" is technically correct, people hang onto that wording and don't read the fine print that the last little bit of weight is lost much more slowly, etc. Heck, IMO only women in the mid-obese plus range should even be aiming at 2 lbs per week, which means that even the disclaimer that the last little bit of weight is not helpful.
  • SLLRunner
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Are "up to" and "depending on" such difficult concepts to grasp? If they don't mean anything to you, and can't be explained, I'll just silently withdraw from this conversation.

I'm a bit floored at this response. ;)

To quote you again:

Do you realize how such a statement opens a doorway to unrealistic expectations, especially to a person who wants to lose weight urgently? If she does not lose that expected up to ten pounds of fat in such a short while, does that mean she has not done everything correctly?

A person can certainly lose quite a bit of water in a short time by cutting way back on carbs, but that's not actual fat. Fat loss takes time and patience and goes way beyond doing things "correctly".

Many of us have been through that urgency to to lose fat fast and set ourselves up with unrealistic expectations that kept us running around in circles. In fact, that's how many of us ended up at these weight loss sites. :)

By the way.....I LOVE your avatar! :D
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    That's just over a month.... you could lose several pounds by then but it depends on how much you were hoping/wanting/needing to lose...
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    That's just over a month.... you could lose several pounds by then but it depends on how much you were hoping/wanting/needing to lose...

Again....an unrealistic expectation.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Can anyone assist

Yes. Put your information (age, height, weight, activity level) into the My Fitness Pal tool. Choose a weight loss goal. You will be told how many calories to eat to lose weight.
    Weight loss is about calories. Stick to your calorie goal. Eat a portion of any calories you earn from exercise.
    1200 is the minimum daily calories for women and 1500 is the minimum for men to get enough nutrition. Don't eat below 1200.
    Log everything you consume as accurately as you can. Use a food scale.
    Watch your sodium intake.
    Get enough protein, fats and fiber.
    Drink water.
    If you are 50+ pounds overweight you might choose to lose 2 pounds a week. If you are 50 lbs or less overweight 1 lb a week is more reasonable. If you are 20 lbs or less overweight then .5 lbs a week is what you should probably aim for. If you are not technically overweight you probably won't see much change in that time period unless you do unhealthy things.
    You might lose 0-10 lbs by July 27 depending on how close you are to a healthy weight and how much you stick to your goals.
    You may retain water due to sodium, exercise, period, etc.
    Don't waste money and time on detox teas, shakes, pills, waist trainers, weird unsustainable/unsafe diets.