Calories needed & No weight movement

Options
A_poetiq
A_poetiq Posts: 52 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I weigh (sadly) 374 lbs. I'm 5'7 and i'm fairly active. I hit the gym at least 3 days per week, always active at home, but I do have sedentary job.I probably take on average 8000 steps per day and sometimes that hurts. My poor joints/ligaments/bones are just tired of supporting this weight overload.

So i'm a bit confused here. MFP and just about every calorie "estimate" on how much I should have to lose 2 pounds per week say I should eat around 2400 calories (YIKES). However, my trainer is dead set on dropping me to 1500, which to me is a bit unrealistic because I know i'll have to drop eventually, but if I start at 1500, what am I going to drop to since I know i'll have to drop more than once.

I am currently eating 1800-1900 calories and I do not eat exercise calories back. The last time I started this journey, I was dropping pounds like snapping fingers at 2200 calories. This time, I'm just yoyoing around the same 2 pounds for almost 2 weeks, but eating less, and eating healthier. I was losing for the first few weeks. Am I eating too much? Trust me, on days I do intense workouts at the gym, I feel sluggish if I'm not getting the 1800. I eat alot of veggies, moderate fruits, chicken and fish. I've for the most part given up red meats....

Do you all have any suggestions? I don't feel discouraged currently, just aggravated as hell.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,470 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to measure your food?
    Trust me, if you're not losing weight then you're not eating too little but too much.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Do not drop to 1500 calories at your weight.

With that out of the way, let me give you my stats for comparison. I'm 6'0" and 321lbs, down from 368, so almost the same starting weight as you. Even when I was completely sedentary (less than 2,000 steps a day) I never ate 1500 calories a day to lose. Your body at that weight needs more calories just to keep going.

I eat between 1800 and 2400 calories a day, depending on how many miles I walk that day (I usually aim for 6 or 7). You're free to check out my diary to see proof that eating enough to keep your body going and giving it enough energy to workout does work.

If MFP says to eat 2400 calories, eat them. There's no need to cut certain types of food out of your diet unless you just want to, just be sure you're weighing your solid food and measuring liquids to ensure that your logging is accurate.

You can do this! I know what it's like to be in your position. Just be kind to your body and fuel it like it needs. I know you might want the weight off now and fast, but feeling well and having energy feels so much better than headaches and fatigue from not eating enough.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Trust me, if you're not losing weight then you're not eating too little but too much.

this
  • A_poetiq
    Options

I do use a food scale for every meal. I weigh and measure everything. I'm 95 Percent certain my calories are accurate because i'm very cautious and often OVER guess my calories.
  • A_poetiq
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Do not drop to 1500 calories at your weight.

With that out of the way, let me give you my stats for comparison. I'm 6'0" and 321lbs, down from 368, so almost the same starting weight as you. Even when I was completely sedentary (less than 2,000 steps a day) I never ate 1500 calories a day to lose. Your body at that weight needs more calories just to keep going.

I eat between 1800 and 2400 calories a day, depending on how many miles I walk that day (I usually aim for 6 or 7). You're free to check out my diary to see proof that eating enough to keep your body going and giving it enough energy to workout does work.

If MFP says to eat 2400 calories, eat them. There's no need to cut certain types of food out of your diet unless you just want to, just be sure you're weighing your solid food and measuring liquids to ensure that your logging is accurate.

You can do this! I know what it's like to be in your position. Just be kind to your body and fuel it like it needs. I know you might want the weight off now and fast, but feeling well and having energy feels so much better than headaches and fatigue from not eating enough.

Thanks! It's just frustrating this time around because I'm eating less and better foods and not seeing the same results. I've been cutting foods only because some are just not necessary and terrible for me.

Thank you for your support! I'm not even pushing for fast, but I do want to see some results. I am trying to change my life entirely, not just see results on a scale. It would be nice to see them there too!
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you started? Only 2 weeks? It might take longer to show progress especially if you are new to workout (extra water weight is common with new exercise routines)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    A_poetiq wrote: »

I do use a food scale for every meal. I weigh and measure everything. I'm 95 Percent certain my calories are accurate because i'm very cautious and often OVER guess my calories.

how do you "over" guess if you are using a scale?

with logging here on MFP and losing weight the key is this..

logging accurately and consistently using a food scale for all solids and measuring cups/spoons for liquids and choosing the correct entries...

if you are somewhere you can't use a food scale try the internet or "best" guess.

but if you aren't losing I have a few questions...

is the exercise new?
    possibly getting close to Time of the month?
    sodium?
    are you choosing correct entries? diary is locked so hard to tell.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is too early to panic. You could be retaining water if you just started exercising (or if TOM is due soon).

For what it's worth, I never ate less than 1650, and I had less to lose than you did, so yeah, 1500 seems extreme to me too. 1800-1900 sounds good to me... don't listen to your trainer, it's crazy to eat so little if you're weak because of it.

But make sure that you're logging as accurately as possible.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    MFP wanted me at between 2200-2400 and I dropped it to 1800. I also have been slacking on all this diet and exercise so I haven't had any results yet.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    MFP wanted me at between 2200-2400 and I dropped it to 1800. I also have been slacking on all this diet and exercise so I haven't had any results yet.

????
  • daniip_la
    Options
    I just noticed the part about 2 weeks. If you've just started any new exercise routine, it can take several weeks (from what I've experienced) to start seeing results on the scale. Your body can retain a lot of water. Making sure you're drinking a lot of water can help with this, but you're still likely to retain a lot when starting out.

Also, you mentioned your joints hurting. Are you doing any high impact exercises? I'm asking because when I started at almost 370lbs, I went from nothing to doing jumping jacks and trying to run, etc., and ended up damaging a knee. It's one thing to have a soreness in your muscles, but another to hurt yourself by doing things not good for your joints at that weight. (You probably know all of this already, sorry for being redundant if you do. Just trying to help your joints not creak like mine do excessively for still being in my 20's)
  • daniip_la
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

By logging a number higher than the one shown in the food scale? It's not difficult. I do it as well, to give myself even more of a calorie buffer.

Example: weigh apple, it weighs 134g. Log it as 140g.

That's an over-estimate. It makes me feel more confident incase something was to be off somewhere else.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Not sure if advice...?
  • A_poetiq
    Options
    How long has it been since you started? Only 2 weeks? It might take longer to show progress especially if you are new to workout (extra water weight is common with new exercise routines)

No It's been a couple months, routinely logging for over a month. I have been exercising for longer though. However, I have increased exercise.
  • A_poetiq
    Options

logging accurately and consistently using a food scale for all solids and measuring cups/spoons for liquids and choosing the correct entries...

if you are somewhere you can't use a food scale try the internet or "best" guess.

is the exercise new?
    sodium?

When I'm out somewhere, which isn't often since I meal prep, I will choose well over what the calories are for the specific location I am or I best guess based on the internet and increase the number.

I am exercising more than before, but I've been active.

It is getting close, I think, but because I am not regular, it's hard to tell.

I've cut back on sodium in almost everything, but still a little higher than I'd like it to be.

I choose the higher calorie entries.
  • A_poetiq
    Options
    I just noticed the part about 2 weeks. If you've just started any new exercise routine, it can take several weeks (from what I've experienced) to start seeing results on the scale. Your body can retain a lot of water. Making sure you're drinking a lot of water can help with this, but you're still likely to retain a lot when starting out.

Also, you mentioned your joints hurting. Are you doing any high impact exercises? I'm asking because when I started at almost 370lbs, I went from nothing to doing jumping jacks and trying to run, etc., and ended up damaging a knee. It's one thing to have a soreness in your muscles, but another to hurt yourself by doing things not good for your joints at that weight. (You probably know all of this already, sorry for being redundant if you do. Just trying to help your joints not creak like mine do excessively for still being in my 20's)

I've been exercising, just slowly increasing it. I only do what doesn't hurt my body. I've made the mistake of too high impact before. I do the elliptical, walking, moderate strength training, lots of core stuff.
  • A_poetiq
    Options

By logging a number higher than the one shown in the food scale? It's not difficult. I do it as well, to give myself even more of a calorie buffer.

Example: weigh apple, it weighs 134g. Log it as 140g.

That's an over-estimate. It makes me feel more confident incase something was to be off somewhere else.

Exactly.
  • A_poetiq
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    2 weeks is too early to panic. You could be retaining water if you just started exercising (or if TOM is due soon).

For what it's worth, I never ate less than 1650, and I had less to lose than you did, so yeah, 1500 seems extreme to me too. 1800-1900 sounds good to me... don't listen to your trainer, it's crazy to eat so little if you're weak because of it.

But make sure that you're logging as accurately as possible.

Thanks. Not quite in panic mode. I just want to do better. I've been at it for more than 2 weeks and was losing.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

is the exercise new?
    sodium?

When I'm out somewhere, which isn't often since I meal prep, I will choose well over what the calories are for the specific location I am or I best guess based on the internet and increase the number.

I am exercising more than before, but I've been active.

It is getting close, I think, but because I am not regular, it's hard to tell.

I've cut back on sodium in almost everything, but still a little higher than I'd like it to be.

I choose the higher calorie entries.

I wouldn't worry about it then really.

Weight loss is a weird little mechanism that is not linear...

you could be experience water retention and/or glycogen in the muscles from the added exercise and/or TOM coming up or even cortisol from "stress"...

relax and give it time if you are positive you are logging as accurately as possible.

PS over guess is one thing but if you are weighing and over stating the actual calories that is not a guess...semantics I know but...when all you have is text...it can make a difference in interpretation.
  • A_poetiq
    Options

is the exercise new?
    sodium?

Also, as a note, I'm not saying i'm perfect. Just that I am very cautious about logging correctly. I over estimate often in case I somehow made a mistake somewhere else.