Gluten Free Snacks that Actually Taste GOOD!

Options
bellaa_x0
bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
I started eating gluten free this week hoping that it will help me feel better after doing research about hypothyroidism (diagnosed by my primary, endocrinologist appointment confirmed for August). Looking for suggestions for gluten free snacks that actually taste good before going out on a (potentially expensive) limb and buying a whole bunch of things that all end up tasting terrible.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Before you go gluten-free I recommend getting tested for celiac disease first. Celiac co-occurs with thyroiditis so you are at risk even if you have no symptoms.

The reason I say to get tested first is because you need to be eating gluten in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing for an accurate result. Even then celiac tests miss a substantial minority of celiacs so it is a good idea to get multiple tests run.

If you choose to get tested, these are the most common tests:
    tTG IgA and tTG IgG (tissue transglutaminase )
    DGP IgA and DGP IgG (deaminated gliadin peptides)
    EMA IgA (endomysial antibodies)
    total serum IgA - a control test
    AGA IgA and AGA IgG (antigliadin antibodies) - an older and less reliable test

As for your question, be aware of GF substitute foods like store bought muffins, breads and cookies because they are lower in nutrients (flour isn't fortified), lower in fibre (mostly starches are used), and they tend to add extra sugars and fats compared to normal foods - otherwise it's just... bleh. I find paleo cookbooks, with baked goods made from almond flour and coconut flour are more healthy. JMO.

I do buy Udi's bread for my boys; they make a decadent chocolate muffin too. K-toos makes good cookies and Enjoy Life has nice products that are GF and allergen free.

I hope you feel better GF.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Veggies and dip
    Jerky
    Popcorn
    Tortilla chips and salsa
    Fruit
    Nuts
    Cheese
    Eggs
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't have any reason to eat gluten free, but there is this gluten free chocolate chip cookie at Peet's Coffee that just sends me through the roof. It's about 310 calories and a special treat once in a great while when I have those kind of calories to spare.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but I'm craving one about now. Lucky Peet's is too far from home for me to go and get one (besides this, I've spent the calories for the day. :))
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Gluten free fudge choclate brownie mix by Glutino is the best brownie mix I've ever tried. My now 8 year old wanted that for his birthday dessert.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Rice chex, Lara bars, Cheetos, most brands of bacon, applesauce, Snyder's of Hanover Gluten Free Pretzels, home made hummus and guacamole, rice crackers and cheese.
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Before you go gluten-free I recommend getting tested for celiac disease first. Celiac co-occurs with thyroiditis so you are at risk even if you have no symptoms.

The reason I say to get tested first is because you need to be eating gluten in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing for an accurate result. Even then celiac tests miss a substantial minority of celiacs so it is a good idea to get multiple tests run.

As for your question, be aware of GF substitute foods like store bought muffins, breads and cookies because they are lower in nutrients (flour isn't fortified), lower in fibre (mostly starches are used), and they tend to add extra sugars and fats compared to normal foods - otherwise it's just... bleh. I find paleo cookbooks, with baked goods made from almond flour and coconut flour are more healthy. JMO.

I do buy Udi's bread for my boys; they make a decadent chocolate muffin too. K-toos makes good cookies and Enjoy Life has nice products that are GF and allergen free.

thank you! I will definitely keep that in mind.. didn't realize you had to be eating gluten for accurate results for Celiac testing
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I don't have any reason to eat gluten free, but there is this gluten free chocolate chip cookie at Peet's Coffee that just sends me through the roof. It's about 310 calories and a special treat once in a great while when I have those kind of calories to spare.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but I'm craving one about now. Lucky Peet's is too far from home for me to go and get one (besides this, I've spent the calories for the day. :))

Peet's Coffee is the coffee served on my sister's college campus.. definitely will check it out when I go to visit!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I usually snack on things that would be gluten free anyhow like raspberries, dark chocolate, string cheese, greek yogurt, and cashew butter. I recently started buying Balance Bites, they come in peanut butter and chocolate peanut butter flavors. They kind of look like cereal and have 190 calories per bag. I like them because I can snack on a few at a time throughout the day and the bag lasts a long time.

As for gluten free "replacement" foods. I like Udi's bread, the Krusteaz and the Betty Crocker GF brownie mixes, Luna and Larabars, Pillsbury GF chocolate chip cookie dough, and GF Bisquick for making waffles!
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »

thank you! I will definitely keep that in mind.. didn't realize you had to be eating gluten for accurate results for Celiac testing

Yeah, it makes it hard on people with a gluten intolerance - they start feeling better on a GF diet, and then they have to make themselves sick again for three months in order to get tested. Not fun.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Glutino pretzels are very good. I eat them with mustard or PB.

Also:
    cottage cheese and fruit or cherry tomatoes
    yogurt and fruit
    Kind bars or Think Thin protein bars
    Apple or banana and peanut butter
    chips and salsa
    cucumbers/carrots and hummus
    Blue diamond rice crackers and hummus or sliced cheese
    cheese and deli ham (Some ham may contain gluten. I usually buy Boar's Head b/c I know it's GF)
    avocado and hard boiled egg
    beef jerky
    raisins and almonds
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do people with celiac or who suspect celiac get an instant and uncontrollable urge for baked goods? :p

Gluten is in only found in wheat, rye and barley. What about
    chocolate
    candy
    ice cream
    potato chips/crisps
    nuts
    dried fruit
    popcorn
    beef jerky
    cheese
    fruit
    yogurt
    vegetables and dip/hummus
    sliced ham
    bacon
    pickels (pickled cucumber)
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    The Enjoy Life company makes great soft bake chocolate chip cookies and Crunchmaster makes some really good multi grain crackers.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Do people with celiac or who suspect celiac get an instant and uncontrollable urge for baked goods? :p

Gluten is in only found in wheat, rye and barley. What about
    chocolate
    candy
    ice cream
    potato chips/crisps
    nuts
    dried fruit
    popcorn
    beef jerky
    cheese
    fruit
    yogurt
    vegetables and dip/hummus
    sliced ham
    bacon
    pickels (pickled cucumber)

LOL When told we can't have gluten, a knee jerk response is often, "But what CAN we have?" The foods you listed are naturally GF - usually. Chocolate to beef jerky on that list can often have gluten contamination though. I've seen it in yogurt, hummus, and bacon too. Celiacs become pro-label readers. ;)

Other gluten containing flours are: bulgar, coucous, dinkle, durum, einkorn, farina, fu, freekah, graham flour, kamut, korasan, mur, seitan, semolina, spelt, triticale, and most oats and bran.
  • krishnap1104
    krishnap1104 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been eating glutino pretzels, organic 70% dark chocolate, kind bars, almonds, peanut butter, banana. I have actually been eating tons and tons fruit. I have a hard time with vegetables.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Here's a few that I like.

gluten-free-vans-perfect-10-crackers-lgn.jpg
    5103LjLWhQL.jpg
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Gluten free pumpkin waffles!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I am very very far from gluten free, love gluten, it makes bread possible. But only things that have wheat have gluten, and I enjoy plenty of snacks that don't.

We make our food at home, btw.

Popcorn!!!
    Salted Tortilla Chips
    Nachos made with the above tortilla chips.
    Fruit, any kind of fruit.
    Simple vanilla or coconut ice cream, any homemade ice cream.
    Avocado
    Cheese
    Hummus
    Peanut butter and celery

Brownies are the least offensive gluten free pastry sort of thing, since they have very little flour to begin with and don't need to rise, you can use pretty much any sort of flour in those.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hummus with veggies or rice crackers
    salsa, bean dip or guacamole with tortilla chips
    Fruit
    apple or carrot slices with peanut butter
    string cheese
    yogurt
    nuts
    sunflower seeds
    tuna, chicken, turkey or egg salad
    boiled or deviled eggs
    rice or quinoa salad
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I am very very far from gluten free, love gluten, it makes bread possible. But only things that have wheat have gluten, and I enjoy plenty of snacks that don't.

Other grains besides wheat have gluten. Barley and rye for example.

But there are several grains that do not contain gluten - rice, corn, millet, buckwheat and quinoa for example.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Glutino brand chocolate wafers are yummy.