Schedule or on the fly

Options
I wish to hear if it's better to plan or workout when you can?

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a combination. I always plan to work out in the morning, but sometimes that fails if I didn't get enough sleep and sleep through my workout, or have to be at an early meeting for work, etc. Then I try to work it in on my lunch break or after work instead.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I try to have a schedule - then it makes it just part of my routine rather than a ''Can I fit this in?" thing. My exercise is just as regular as my work schedule.

Everyone differs but that's what is best for me.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My workouts are scheduled for when my daughter settles down for her nighttime movie. I usually have 90 minutes for my workout and sometimes a shower before it's lights out for her. It's the only time I can fit it into my day. Sometimes things happen and I don't get it in, not usually more than twice a month. I always make it up during the week when I can fit it in.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that if it's important to you, you schedule it. If your workouts are just something extra you hope to get done, then you can do them whenever you get a chance.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Absolutely positively definitely scheduled. I know myself too well... if my plan is to just "workout when I can", I will never find the time. So instead I schedule the time. 5 am Monday through Friday, and it is non-negotiable.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Fairly firmly scheduled. To the point that when I'm running late the interns at the gym ask where I've been.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    All I go by is having to do 4 early morning workouts per week. The specific days aren't set in stone because my schedule constantly changes, but I don't deviate at all from that "4 days a week I'm waking up at 4:30am".
  • tannic2k7
    tannic2k7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    My personal opinion is that if it's important to you, you schedule it. If your workouts are just something extra you hope to get done, then you can do them whenever you get a chance.

Yea. I go to a boxing class so scheduling them is good but I like specific trainers because they bring it instead of just working out.
  • tannic2k7
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    All I go by is having to do 4 early morning workouts per week. The specific days aren't set in stone because my schedule constantly changes, but I don't deviate at all from that "4 days a week I'm waking up at 4:30am".

This is my issue as well. It's changing and having a set schedule doesn't work one week for me but not the next one.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,663 Member
    Options
    Some of each, for me. I schedule spin class & rowing (though sometimes the weather cancels it), but randomly add other things when they sound like fun (walks, bike rides, the occasional other class drop-in, etc.). I like having some scheduled activities as an anchor, then add.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I have a mental schedule as far as what I plan on doing during the week but because of life I'm flexible.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There is no single answer for everyone. The best is whichever enables you to complete the best workouts. For most people, it will involve scheduling with flexible backup plan.
  • aRsenicBleu
    aRsenicBleu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do both.Scheduled W/O are great.Since you know when,where, what and how long you're going to be working out. You'll be mentally prepared for the task and way less likely to put it off.But strictly working by scheduled workout all of the time can cause trouble. Some days you wont be able to do your normal routines. Thats fine but if you dont make up for it when you can, this can cause you to fall off the wagon. So far I started writing down the days I wanted to workout out in my planner for this month and while Ive had days where I dont workout the way I want to or I dont workout period, ive been pretty consistent so far.
    Its the same thing with being flexible. Its great when you youre in a pinch and you need/want to reschedule.Dont be afraid to but too much flexibility can throw you off your game.I tend to treat workouts less like a priority when I I rely on flexibility for too long.Over time, usually within 2 weeks, I'll stop working out if I stop scheduling them. That being said it depends on you. As long as its a priority for you, youll make it work.
  • tannic2k7
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.
  • rocknrollfire
    rocknrollfire Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i agree with a lot of posters here - some people looove schedules and routines, some people can't abide by them for one reason or another.

i personally use a combination system. i plan to work out a certain number of times in a week, or i plan to have certain kinds of workouts in my week, but it's up to me to do them when it's convenient for me. how many times i workout/what kinds of workouts i do depend on the weather, whether i want to take certain classes, whether i'm training for something specific (ex. a race), what my other plans for the week are, etc.

so for example, this week i'm coming off doing a race, and i'm taking it easy. i planned to run 10 km this week, but it's up to me how i split up these runs. i also planned on doing 2 hours of yoga. it's totally up to me how i split this up, as long as i complete these goals. i keep track of all this in a daily planner which i also use to track appointments and plan meals.

this works best for me because i have an extremely unpredictable work schedule. i've found in the past that if i schedule myself too strictly then i will inevitably miss a workout (say, because i got called in to work at the last minute, or i had a very intense workday that left me physically exhausted, etc), and then i get all bummed and give up. this gives me the flexibility i need while still keeping me accountable to myself.
  • CarmenChaban
    CarmenChaban Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I plan for specific workouts for the week. I don't schedule times that way if I have to change a day, or go later/earlier in the day...it's ok.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If I don't schedule it I won't do it .
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I plan, but keep flexible due to weather or schedule changes. For example, today is normally a run day, but there was a thunderstorm this morning. I considered running after work, but weather was going to be 90+ degrees, so I decided to move my lifting day to today and run tomorrow.

I think keeping a routine is more important than a set schedule. I make time everyday to work out in some way. Sometimes it's running, sometimes it's lifting and sometimes it's just walking on the treadmill while I watch a movie. I try to keep that time consistent so I do it without thinking, but will change things up depending on season or training type. Like right now, I work out before work because of the afternoon heat. But this spring, I would go out after work because the longer days gave me a chance to get out and enjoy the sun. In the winter I only run 3 days a week and lift 3 days. In summer, I lift 2 days and run 4-5.
  • tannic2k7
    Options
    I see being flexible is my best option. My schedule isn't set due to unplanned events.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Personally I put it into my calendar and here's a couple reasons why

1) I'm a single woman who is also a fur momma so all my little one has is me, and I need to make sure I'm meeting her needs and mine. So by scheduling time in I make sure I can fit everything she needs with everything I need.
    2) if it's in the calendar it's pretty much a done deal. I just check things off as a go, and when I see Thursday - 7pm Spin Class I just know exactly what I'm doing at 7 on Thursdays
    3) I'm a planner and I do best when I have a routine and know where I'm supposed to be when I need to be there. It's very helpful for me.
    4) It helps me with a training schedule. As a runner I often am setting up schedules based around road races I want to do, so I usually have 8 - 10 week plans that I need to account for and get cross training sessions in there, too. It's very helpful for me to stick to that training plain when it's all set up in my planner and I can see exactly what I need to do this week to accomplish part of my training goals.

In the end it really is what works best for you and your life; if you have an unpredictable schedule it might work best for you to just do it on the fly. I personally have a very regular, albeit busy, schedule so I know when I have time to fit things in. It's totally up to you, like I said, but those are a few reasons why I prefer to schedule my work outs.