Hip flexor pain - advice?

Options
Recently I've been really getting into the gym going almost every day (with rest days) and I've been doing the same exercises as I've always done, just obviously more days a week.
I go on the elliptical / cross trainer for 35 mins mainly but I noticed my right hip flexor is in pain afterwards/during.
I noticed it first after stretching my legs and felt/heard it crack one or two times. I can walk fine and still exercise (treadmill is fine?) but it aches when I try moves like leg lifts?

I was wondering if anyone knows what's causing the pain and how I can stop/prevent it as it's coming up to maybe a week of it now.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stretch, ice, rest it till it stops hurting
  • OrdinaryDude300
    OrdinaryDude300 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Could be that you injured the area and did not know it. I injuried my hip and i can only go 5 min on the stepper and elliptical. Physio helped but I have to do the work if I want it to improve further. Apparently I have a relatively weak lower body so it's contributed to my problem. What other lower body strength exercises you doing to support?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Roller - warm up and cool down - if you google roller and hip flexors you should find some guidelines

Stretches

Rest for a few days and apply ice / heat
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you try the suggestions above and it doesn't improve, see a doctor and ask for physical therapy. If your glutes are weak you might overuse the hip flexors, and rest and ice will only provide temporary relief. A good physiotherapist can help a lot.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Yep, one would think that with all the exercising and work that we do; I use my treadclimber, walk , ride bike (still can't get up those pesky hills though), I also clean about 3 houses 5x's a week, bending squatting, reaching, all that fun stuff. I still have lower body muscle weakness from the knees to the hips and I know this because I am currently in physical therapy (no bike riding except on flat surfaces for now), because I have injured the tendon that connects your knee cap to your shin bone. And here I thought I was in pretty good shape....hahahaha
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Rest until the pain is gone

Strengthen the Hip Flexor, there are several static and dynamic exercises.

Stretch it with the Couch Stretch (but wait until it recovers first!)
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Foam Roller!! And lay off the exercise that irritates the affected area until pain is gone.
  • shayna313
    shayna313 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you only do the same exercises all the time you could have some muscle imbalances that could end up causing serious problems. Try to lay off the hip flexors and work your hamstrings, glutes, and core. If you're worried please see a doctor. I hope it gets better!