Spin class??

Options
So I do water aerobics twice a week and my instructor also teaches a spin class. She has been asking me to go. I am very out of shape. Am I going to feel like I am dying? Lol

Replies

• Scorpio8402
    Scorpio8402 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Just go slow at first but keep moving. Your nether-region will hurt like a mother after the first few classes though!
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Depends on how intense the spin class is. I go to Cyclebar, and depending on the instructor it can be pretty intense. If it's at a local YMCA or similar it probably will not be to bad.

Just make sure to eat a small meal, or large snack and drink plenty of water before you go. Wear something that will wick moisture away from your body. Bring a towel and good amount of water with you.

And have fun. Don't worry about other people in the class just focus on you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The cool thing about Spin class is that you control the intensity through the speed and resistance level. It's an intense workout, but it doesn't have to kill you. You can always slow down or lower the resistance if you feel overwhelmed.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No you shouldn't feel like you are dying - you go at our own pace.
    If you aren't ready for the more advanced parts of the workout you simply sit there and pedal at a cadence and resistance that you can manage, no-one will judge you.

Cycling, whether indoors or out, is an exercise where it's easy to modulate the intensity according to your capabilities and needs.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    At first spin will sux it does for most. In order to get past the sux part of spin and the sore butt you gotta stck with it and know butt soreness will go away.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i love, love, love spin. Hate, hate, hated it after the first class, because I felt like someone had kicked me in the groin! But as someone else said, you control the tension and therefore intensity, and you can make it as easy or as difficult as you want or need to.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was so afraid to try spin...by trainer and best friend is also a spin instructor...now I love it! it took awhile for me to get comfortable with it but get into the music and enjoy the ride!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Many spin classes are based upon heart rate zones and perceived exertion scales. This means everyone will be going at a different pace. Don't stress. Just go in and work hard. If you bonk, just stay in the saddle and pedal until you recover. You can do it!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    One of the best things (in my opinion) about spin classes is that they're legitimately made for all levels of fitness. When the instructor says to turn up the resistance, you might do one crank and Joe beside you does three, but in reality both of you are turning up the resistance.

You can go at your pace because when they're saying to go all out, racing speeds that's going to look different for every single person in there. Also, it's a great calorie burn with low impact to the joints in your lower limbs! Definitely try it out at lease once. I personally love it, and it's a great compliment to running for me but it overall is also just a great work out :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's like anything else...you should be going at a pace that is suitable to your fitness level....it's your ride...just because the instructor says to get out of the saddle doesn't mean you have to...it's your ride.
  • web1203
    web1203 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try spin. It's addicting. And the best thing about it is that YOU control your ride.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i used to go to a spin class with an elderly retired Marine. He came to every single class, he never touched his resistance, never got out of the saddle, and was literally, "just along for the ride."
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I call my Monday Spin class, Heart attack Mondays. But hey, just go slower or use less resistance. Try it, see if you like it.

I like it - I spin three times a week. I like the crazy clothes and the fun music and my teachers. It's good cardio and you don't have to worry about looking stupid at Zumba or getting bored on a treadmill.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Nothing I can add but to say.. enjoy! I was invited to take one formal class as a visitor with a friend who belongs to a Spin Studio. About 3 weeks later I purchased a Spin bike for home. Haven't looked back since.

An awesome form of exercise if you enjoy doing it.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I started going to some spinning classes at the rec center on campus. Loved it! Some instructors are tougher than others and there is one that plays dreadful music (think bad 90s music and banjo solos). Besides the one who does the bad music, I think it is a lot of fun. You really can go at your own pace and if you get tired, you can just pedal.

I'm home for the summer and I'm already excited to go back to spinning 3-4x per week in the fall! Great work out. The butt will go away!

Enjoy!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I started going to some spinning classes at the rec center on campus. Loved it! Some instructors are tougher than others and there is one that plays dreadful music (think bad 90s music and banjo solos). Besides the one who does the bad music, I think it is a lot of fun. You really can go at your own pace and if you get tired, you can just pedal.

I'm home for the summer and I'm already excited to go back to spinning 3-4x per week in the fall! Great work out. The butt will go away!

Enjoy!

That sounds awful! I couldn't imagine spinning to that!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The cool thing about Spin class is that you control the intensity through the speed and resistance level. It's an intense workout, but it doesn't have to kill you. You can always slow down or lower the resistance if you feel overwhelmed.

This.......any decent instructor will tell you from the outset; it's your workout, you're in control of the intensity