Emotional about Emotional Eating

Options
I never really thought I was an emotional eater but the older I got, I realise I turn to food for comfort. I have friends I talk to and I write in a journal but its food that I go to when Im happy, sad, angry and even jealous. Yup comparison to instagram or slim friends makes me jealous and I turn to food. You would have thought it would deter me from food but it doesnt. I could really use the advice from others that go through similar experiences. Can this it be stopped?

Replies

• kamp150
    kamp150 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    hey! i go through the same things and i agree that I've always used food as tool to help me in all aspects of life. i think it can be stopped by finding better coping mechanisms than the ones that will counteract what we actually want in life. i think the root cause of all of it is that we (emotional eaters) have had an deep connection to food as a child that can take us back to certain feelings of nostalgia, but in reality it just causes more discomfort and agony. i think the ultimate way to free yourself of those inhibitions is to realize and understand to LOVE yourself no matter what and understand that you are not defined by your weight, but its just a reflection on how we choose to treat ourselves! i think you are a beautiful women who can anything you put your mind too!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I gave up coffee, recently, and it's a microcosm of my emotional eating. Since I stopped coffee, which causes me pain, I've realized that I reach for coffee when I want to say something that could raise conflict. I started saying some of those things. So far, the world has not ended. I haven't lost friends, my husband is being more considerate of me, and I've gotten closer to some friends.

I think food is the same way for me. Instead of thinking of giving something comforting up, I'm thinking about all the things I could do if I dealt with my feelings and desires instead of eating. I could do more work on my own important projects, I could solve more personal problems, organize myself better, and, most importantly, I could be more generous with the truth of my own feelings.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Change your thought process. Instead of turning to food, go on a walk. Find something else to do that will help you in your journey. Mindset is everything. It took me years to learn this. I'm finally seeing what I want to see in my results and I now think of what I want to gain. I'm good at saying it's not worth it. Log your food before you eat it and start thinking of food as fuel only. This is a daily step choice. I like that Kamp150 said to Love yourself. Make You your priority.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    No. You should not stop because food is good. There is nothing wrong with indulgence. It's not liquor and you don't look obese.

Make very regular trips to the gym, and burn it off.

I have always had a big relationship with food. To balance it, I work out all seven days. Rain, blizzard or sleet. Attendance has been very regular.

That's awesome if you can do it. That doesn't work for all of us. Some people work long hours. Some people have disabilities. Some people exercise too much already. I had a broken leg that limited what I could do for a while, and it was a good thing that I was able to eat less when I couldn't get my usual amount of exercise.

It's actually always good to learn how to deal with your emotions directly, and enjoy food in healthy amounts for what it is.
  • Candikickbutt
    Candikickbutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater as well, anytime my husband and I get into an argument, I want to binge eat, especially sweets. Then I feel extremely guilty, fat and ugly. This then causes me to stress even more and turn to eating again. Nobody understands or they act like it's a joke when I bring it up. I feel alone.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    CandiCulek wrote: »
    I'm an emotional eater as well, anytime my husband and I get into an argument, I want to binge eat, especially sweets. Then I feel extremely guilty, fat and ugly. This then causes me to stress even more and turn to eating again. Nobody understands or they act like it's a joke when I bring it up. I feel alone.
    You're very much not alone.

• Raymil82
    Raymil82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I too eat my emotions. When I'm sad or super stressed out. It's like I eat a bunch and then I'll get super sad because I ate so much, so then I cry and then I have even eaten some more. It's a very bad cycle to be in. I have tried to control it especially the last few weeks I'm doing pretty good I think but it's hard.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Easier said than done but we have to substitute our bad coping mechanisms (reaching for food when upset) to more constructive ones (exercise, chores , walking , redecorating , organize ur closet , etc..) not as fun as eating but you will feel better afterwards instead of worse
  • maryannamber
    maryannamber Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I know exactly how you feel. Worse part is when the people around you dont take you seriously. Just know I deal with it too and am more than happy to support and lend a listening ear when needed ☺
  • maryannamber
    maryannamber Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Raymil82 wrote: »
    I too eat my emotions. When I'm sad or super stressed out. It's like I eat a bunch and then I'll get super sad because I ate so much, so then I cry and then I have even eaten some more. It's a very bad cycle to be in. I have tried to control it especially the last few weeks I'm doing pretty good I think but it's hard.

I go though that cycle too! Sometimes I become so depressed that I shut myself from people because I feel ashamed. Im glad that you are doing well. Im trying to be mindful on my feelings and what I eat and if ever you need support just reach out and I'll be happy to help however I can ☺
  • lolosensan2
    lolosensan2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who brought up self love. I used to turn to other activities like going outside or painting my nails so I couldn't eat, but I think those are more temporary fixes for what's hurting deep within. For me it was like a lightbulb went on one day. I went from being single for 5 years to a very supportive relationship and one day I just noticed I wasn't really grazing around the kitchen and trolling the cupboards all the time anymore. It felt like I had a void to fill before that was no longer there. I dont think a man is the answer lol but I do think that finding your self love, self worth, sources of insecurity and sources of empowerment has so much to do with it.
  • lolosensan2
    lolosensan2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

This is a horrible feeling I can relate with. I know this does not work for all relationships or all arguments, but one thing my boyfriend and I have become good at is just talking it out until the point of exhaustion. You know you are going to work it out eventually, so why not keep calm and talk calmly until you can reach a happy compromise? Obviously having to go to work or take care of kids or anything else would pretty much make this impossible, but if you can, try working it aaaaaaaaaaaaalllll the way out at the time of the fight instead of going your separate ways for a day. The better you feel leaving the argument, the better the rest of the day/week will go.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Here is a video that can provide some helpful tips as a former emotional eater myself.