Gluten Free Lunches

I have Hypothryroidism and I have read a lot of articles based on being allergic to Gluten. I am looking for "ideas' on this thread, not insults or comments saying 'I need to get tested" I am trying this out based on my nutritionist.

Anyways, I have been eating foods that are gluten free for the past month (or I try at least) but I am not 100% getting rid of Gluten. I am having a hard time eating vegetables. I need some Gluten Free recipes/snacks that can help me eat more vegetables.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Hi there - not a Celiac here but food sensitivity/intolerances with wheat! - I would never say that to anyone - "get tested". Anyway, I too have a bit of a time getting veggies in. I'm trying to make smoothies with veg/fruit and greek yogourt. I know it's all about reading labels and doing research. Pulverizing veggies with a blender and add them to gluten free pastas like a "sauce" - like pesto, etc. I'm just restarting everything here again.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    To go along with what @Wickglamgirl mentioned, you can make your own sauce to save yourself on sodium and add veggies. I like to cook whole tomatoes with low sodium veggie broth, water, onions, garlic, carrots and a little sweet potato. It's not super low cal but you can use the recipe builder to keep track of the calories and add veggies to your sauce. I also like to substitute pasta with sauteed spinach and garlic or use zucchini cut in noodles or zoodles.
  • TheUwuest
    TheUwuest Posts: 36 Member
    Just make them the star of the meal, rather than the protein or starch. Saute, steam, or roast a few kinds every night and you'll get much bigger portion sizes too.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Btw, both my sister and I are hypothyroid and have gluten intolerance. It's interesting how they seem to go together for both of us.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Lol honestly I eat next to no veggies because I just cant deal with them (texture, volume, taste, etc) - if someone else cooks them (i.e. a restaurant) I think they are wonderful but I am a total moron in the kitchen.

So I try to eat a salad here and there, and make sure I take multivitamins that absorb easily (powdered) and get tested regularly for levels of vitamins/minerals :)

Not advocating this approach, just saying if you cant force yourself to eat them, or find a way to eat them, its not technically necessary. Or even if you eat some but not "enough" (whatever that is).

That said - there are lots of blogs and pinterest ideas out there that look AWESOME (if I were not a total moron). I will be watching this thread to see if anything fun comes up I can try (and fail at :) ). LoL... good luck!
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    i have trouble with raw veggies...they often send me running for the toilet. i have a spiralizer and spiralize zucchini or yellow squash. i also make spaghetti squash (roasted in the oven) often. @StacyChrz 's recipe for sauce looks amazing, i might have to use that! finally, i keep steamer packs of sugar snap peas or green beans on hand (walmart sells them fresh in lovely 210g packs) and add them to basically any meal.
  • krishnap1104
    krishnap1104 Posts: 53 Member
    I am looking for more easy recipes lol I cannot cook whatsoever. Seems like whatever I make turns out disgusting. The only thing I can put together is a sandwich. I know its sad.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    If you are not 100% avoiding gluten, there is really no point. If you truly have some sort of sensitivity, the smallest amount of gluten can make you sick.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    I do an egg white omelet with tons of spinach or arugula (85g to be precise) - a salad's worth. It wilts right down. Cheese, ham. Delish.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I am looking for more easy recipes lol I cannot cook whatsoever. Seems like whatever I make turns out disgusting. The only thing I can put together is a sandwich. I know its sad.

Can you wrap your sandwich ingredients in lettuce? or just eat the sandwich ingredients without a wrap? Like, using celery to dip into chicken salad, for example. Or rolling cheese in deli meat.

Salads are very easy. They don't have to have tons of lettuce, either. Or any lettuce, for that matter. Cut up veggies like tomato and cucumber are awesome just on their own with some cheese and (gluten free) salad dressing. Add some nuts/seeds, and it's a fine meal.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Wheat is my sensitivity. However.... I have found some amazing Gluten free recipes on Pinterest. My fav is one called jalepeno stuffed chicken. I think Jalepeno is a veggie. I also bake spaghetti/summer squash, and use that for noodles. I made tons of stuff that is just low carb, but will throw in some veggies. I love mushrooms and onions on just about everything. But... Here's my current favorite.

Texas Sushi-
    1.5 lbs ground beef
    6 strips bacon
    cheese- whatever you like-mozzarella sticks make this even easier.
    BBQ sauce-

Take the strips of bacon, lay them side by side on aluminum foil. Press Hamburger on top of it into a flat layer. 1/4 inch thick Add Cheese to one of the bacon's ends on top of the burger. I also add onions or peppers sliced into thin strips. then begin rolling up starting with the cheese side/bacon ends. You may have to use the Aluminum foil to do this. When done, tuck the other end of the bacon flaps on the bottom and keep it on the foil. I throw mine on the grill because I don't want the heat in my kitchen..cause summer. Grill offset (not directly over the heat, but close) for about 40 minutes on low. (this stays on the aluminum foil) Add BBQ sauce, or marinara sauce, and let it glaze for about 10 minutes. Cut 1 1/2 to 2 inches and serve with a side.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Breakfast/lunch muffins:

4 cups broccoli florets
    4 whole large eggs
    1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
    salt and fresh pepper
    cooking spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°. Steam broccoli with a little water for about 6-7 minutes.
    When broccoli is cooked, crumble into smaller pieces and add salt and pepper. Mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients, apart from cheese. Put into muffin tins and put cheese on top and put into the oven for about 20 mins.

I mix my vegetables up. I use broccoli, peppers, onions, sweet corn etc sometimes I replace the cheese with minced meat or bacon. I have also made these after lining the muffin tins with ham (or bacon) and filling them with the mixture.

Holds well in the fridge, tastes great hot or cold and good fun finding your favourite combination of flavours.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Hummus with carrot/cucumber/pepper/celery sticks, Sugarsnap peas etc Also works great with salsa. I like little plum tomatoes on the side too and baby corn.

Prawn, crayfish and avocado salad

Bacon, avocado and egg salad.

Chicken and mango salad

All salads served with plenty of greens of course.

Soup (if you have access to a microwave, I love tomatoe soup with a hard boiled egg added yum)
  • 01134BOB
    01134BOB Posts: 21 Member
    Here is one of my new favorites I've been playing with.

Onigirazu (rice sandwich)

Serves 1

1 sheet nori seaweed, toasted
    approx. 1 cup rice (brown, white or cauliflower rice)
    1 egg
    Rooster Sauce (Siracha)

Lay sheet of seaweed on plate, spread half of rice on center of seaweed. Scramble egg, add hot sauce to taste, put on rice. Add the remaining rice on top of the egg and wrap the corners of the seaweed up and around the rice till covered. Wrap in plastic wrap, cut in half once nori has softened.

This recipe is great, you can change the filling from egg to anything that strikes your fancy, and you can replace the rice with cauli-rice or blend the cauli-rice with regular rice if you like. Youtube has a lot of different videos on this, with a lot of different variations. Good Luck!!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Roasted broccoli and garlic is one of my favorites :smile:

If you're pressed for time, stock bags of frozen "steamables". Toss one in the microwave and eat it with dinner. Avoid any with sauces or flavoring, though-- most of those have gluten.

I've recently come to love snacking on raw, chopped red cabbage. It has a nice tang to it and a bit of heat. A nice substitute for popcorn or pretzels if you have a need for a mindless snack.

Chop and prep a bunch of raw veggies when you have a few extra minutes in the kitchen. You can bag them for a quick grab-and-go snack. Homemade dips are better if you need a dipping sauce for them-- commercial ones often have gluten or gluten cross-reactors in them.