Going over on fiber

Options
jbucci1186
jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
Just wondering if it's okay to go over on fiber (about 10-15g) every day? I'm assuming probably not, but you never know... been doing it long enough that I figured I'd ask.
thanks!

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    It's fine. :) MFP fiber recommendations are kind of low anyways.

The only problem you might find with too much fiber is constipation. Make sure you're drinking a ton of water!

PS: I went 41 grams over on fiber yesterday! Lol.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    More fiber is a GOOD thing.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    MPF has it super low, if you are not going over you should be worried. It also depends how you are going over, I read an article the other day about how the added fiber that is showing up in a alot of foods is not completely digestable so you may not be getting as much as you think.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    yeah I think that is one thing that is safe to go over on here!
  • 2SandyCheeks
    Options
    I agree with the others who have said that MFP has the fiber goal set low. I raised my fiber goal to 25 g by editing the settings. I don't know if I can post the link, but the Mayo Clinic recommends 25 g of fiber per day for women 50 and younger.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033/NSECTIONGROUP=2
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Lots of fiber can cause gas problems, especially if you amp it up too fast, but as long as your gut isn't protesting, you're probably not overdoing it. As was mentioned, it can cause constipation if you don't drink enough water, but it can also have the opposite effect, so if you get gas or the runs, back off and build up (you need ample amounts of the right flora in your intestines to process fiber)

The ADA amount of recommended fiber for a 2000 calorie diet is 25 g. If you're eating fewer calories, that baseline is going to drop because they're basing it on the amount of fiber needed to pass through the colon with the food. I think that is why MFP numbers are lower if your calorie target is lower, but I go over every day.

I always try to go higher because I have a brother who had colo-rectal cancer and has to deal with an ostemy bag now - I'd prefer not to go that route myself.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    haha thanks guys, I'm eating around 30-40+g a day and i'll keep it up
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I don't know what rules MFP has about fiber, but I have had a very high fiber diet the whole time I have been losing weight. I started with lots of fiber because of constipation, which it totally cured, and now I get about 70 grams a day +/- 10 grams. I eat a lot of grains and veggies. I get a lot of carbs but burn them because I work out a lot. I don't think a high fiber diet in and of itself will hurt weight loss. Just make sure you get enough water because, while it can cure constipation, without enough fluids it will back you up majorly.