Overweight old guy trying to be a triathlete

Options
SW 276
CW 247
GW 199

I've always been bigger than my friends but at 6 foot I carried it pretty well. That is, until I got way too fat. Between work, school, family stuff, and everything else I just quit worrying about my weight. But, in the back of my mind I had this little voice. It occasionally told me I could be better. I SHOULD take better care of myself.

Last year on a whim I signed up for a 5k and started training for it with a couch to 5K app. Before I knew it I had completed four 5Ks and lost about 25 pounds. The winter months and holidays resulted in a loss of focus but I'm back on track now.

I'm concentrating on my diet (exercise can undo a poor diet) mainly following CICO but keeping my carbs low. I have done some short KETO runs but not sure if that's a long term solution for me.

Anyways, I have had a dream to do a triathlon for many year, even bought a book about it years ago but never started training. Now, I registered for a triathlon in October and have started training for it. (I'm going to pickup a good used Raleigh road bike tomorrow. Whoop!).

Looking for friends. If you have ANY of the same interest as me. Send a request. We will support each other.

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It's been a few years, but I did a triathlon. I came in last, it was an ocean swim and my wetsuit tried to strangle me (never try something new right at race day... new wetsuit)

I wish you the best of success with your training. It's always cool to cross the finish line :)

I'm just starting the C25K now (the run was my WEAKEST in the tri) and hoping I'll follow in your footsteps to completing the 5Ks!
  • J3ffthatcher
    J3ffthatcher Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ha! You're subject line describes me to a tee. I was 37 and about 232lbs when I signed up for a sprint tri on a whim because a couple buddies of mine had been using the lake in my backyard for swim training. Bought a used roadbike (which was way too small) and finished it. I got sorta hooked from there.

I hate exercising for weightloss so the tri thing kinda fits the bill. The races are so much fun! Anyways, almost 2 years later I've done 5 more sprint distances and am signed up for two Olympics later this year. I've learned a lot about what to do, and even more about what not to do. *cringe* I'm no expert but I'm always happy to share info with someone in the same situation.
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You're a lot braver than I am, dude. Go you!!!