Do I stop eating when I reach one of my macros or keep going for calories.

Options
blopmiyers
blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
I usually end up going over my proteins by 30 ish and fat by 10g. My carbs are relatively low. Do I keep eating food even if I ended up going passed my proteins and fats to get my carbs? Usually I'd just eat until I hit my calorie goal.

Here's an example of a day:
Protein: 160g actual goal = 150g
Carbs: 200g actual goal = 282g
Fat: 89g actual goal = 84
Calories: 2200
Would I keep eating until I eat my daily calories and go passed my fats and proteins a bit more? Goal = 2500cals a day

Now that's an example and is most likely not mathematically correct but you get the idea. My macros are 25% protein 45% carbs and 30% fat

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I look at protein and fats as the minimum, not the maximum when I bulk. Once it hit those, or even go over, it doesn't matter to me what fills the remaining calories.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    eat your allotted calories and don't overthink things.....

Second this ^^^

• Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    I usually end up going over my proteins by 30 ish and fat by 10g. My carbs are relatively low. Do I keep eating food even if I ended up going passed my proteins and fats to get my carbs? Usually I'd just eat until I hit my calorie goal.

Here's an example of a day:
    Protein: 160g actual goal = 150g
    Carbs: 200g actual goal = 282g
    Fat: 89g actual goal = 84
    Calories: 2200
    Would I keep eating until I eat my daily calories and go passed my fats and proteins a bit more? Goal = 2500cals a day

Now that's an example and is most likely not mathematically correct but you get the idea. My macros are 25% protein 45% carbs and 30% fat

What is your height and weight? With my Clients I don't generally count the proteins that come with carbs towards their protein total.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    If you are trying to gain weight (bulk) I would increase your protein intake. 25% is pretty low, in my opinion. I use different macros based on training and non-training days, but hitting your macros within +/- 5g is a decent rule of thumb.

Protein isn't as important while bulking as it is in a deficit. Carbs are king to build muscle, as long as you have a min protein amount. And not just in % but in grams, you need more to maintain muscle in a deficit, than you do to gain muscle in a surplus.
  • erickirb
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ...With my Clients I don't generally count the proteins that come with carbs towards their protein total.

That is ridiculous, why would protein on its own with fat, or with carbs change how much protein you need?

Are you a registered dietitian? If not, what qualifications to you have to give such advice?
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I look at protein and fats as the minimum, not the maximum when I bulk. Once it hit those, or even go over, it doesn't matter to me what fills the remaining calories.

Exactly!

The reason we know this is people can build muscle on low carbs, high carbs, low fat high fat, but they always needs a certain amount of protien it will vary for each person and should never been over thought.

Once that is figured and they get their macros/ micros it's overall food intake (calories) and that is preference and opinion. It can't be wrong and just because it works for some doesn't make it right.

As long as strength gains are made, or measurements are going up who cares! The op needs trial and error and to figure out what works for them while finding a program to balance it all.

• erickirb
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    If you are trying to gain weight (bulk) I would increase your protein intake. 25% is pretty low, in my opinion. I use different macros based on training and non-training days, but hitting your macros within +/- 5g is a decent rule of thumb.

Protein isn't as important while bulking as it is in a deficit. Carbs are king to build muscle, as long as you have a min protein amount. And not just in % but in grams, you need more to maintain muscle in a deficit, than you do to gain muscle in a surplus.

Carbs = fuel
    Protein = muscle repair and growth

True, but in a surplus you don't need as much to build muscle, as you do to repair and maintain while in a deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Carbs = fuel

True, but in a surplus you don't need as much to build muscle, as you do to repair and maintain while in a deficit.

And it's very easy to get enough protein in a bulk. I actually haven't ever seen a thread in here about not getting enough protein while bulking... even for those following a plant based diet.
  • MissPauling
    MissPauling Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have so much trouble eating enough protein, if I try hard I manage to get 60g a day, and only with protein powder (hemp though) and fish, there's no way to get there with beans or greens alone. I do hit my fat goals every single day though, also my calories. I don't want to eat meat and eggs right now, so I have no idea what to eat for protein. For a while I ate protein bars but they're so full of *kitten*. Maybe I should switch fats/nuts for more beans though, maybe I wouldn't be as freaking hungry all the time then as well.
  • blopmiyers
    Options
    What is your height and weight? With my Clients I don't generally count the proteins that come with carbs towards their protein total.

I am 5'8" and 138 lbs M

psulemon wrote: »

Carbs = fuel

And it's very easy to get enough protein in a bulk. I actually haven't ever seen a thread in here about not getting enough protein while bulking... even for those following a plant based diet.

Yeah, I always reach my protein goals without trying lol

I'm probably very wrong here but I've read around and learned anything passed 0.8-1g of protein per lb of lean body weight is pretty much useless and is added as fat storage. But yeah correct me if I'm wrong.
  • blopmiyers
    Options

For some reason a part of me thought going over one macro would cause more weight gain.