Difference between plant based diets and veganism

Options
DaddieCat
DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I've seen it brought up several times so I thought I'd create a space to discuss it.

All opinions are welcome, so hopefully we can discuss the perceived differences on friendly grounds.

So far I've seen brought up:
Plant based diets
Whole Foods plant based diets
Vegan diets
Ethical veganism

tumblr_o6xnhwrc2q1qgf1i8o1_500.gif

Replies

• ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Plant based diets. = Eating mostly plants, but not exclusively plants. Maybe having an occasional cheat meal where one eats meat once a week for example. Or maybe still eating animal products every day but in very small dosages. Anything counts. Even if it is heavy processed and with tons of added chemicals and what not.

Whole Foods plant based diets. = Eating mostly plants, but not exclusively plants. Again, like above, strong majority of diet relies on plants, but animal products are allowed in very small dosages. But unlike above, only unprocessed, whole foods are allowed.

Vegan diets = Exclusively plants. No animal products allowed whatsoever. Also includes processed foods as long as they have no animal origin ingredients in them.

Ethical veganism. = Not eating animal products specifically cos of ethical concerns. As opposed to just veganism where one's reason for it might not be based on ethics, or only on exclusively ethics.

And then there is also whole foods vegan diet, which you did not mention, that does not include processed foods, unlike just vegan diet.

That's how I see it anyways. I guess one could argue that "plant based" and "vegan" are synonyms. Personally, I don't see it that way. Because I feel that the very presence of the word "based" implies that it is not exclusively plants, it's just BASED on plants. Meaning, majority of the diet consists of plants, but not all of it. Like maybe you are vegan but also ate honey. Now, that's not vegan, is it? But it's also not a normal diet cos other 99% of your diet has no animal products. So that's what the term "plant based" is there for; to define the diet that is in a middle between vegan and mainstream diet.

If you want to go deeper into this I guess we could distinguish between:

Ethical veganism.
    Emotional veganism.
    Environmental veganism.
    Health based veganism.
    Weight loss/fitness/performance based veganism.
    Religious veganism.
    Spiritual veganism.
    Intellectual/logical/philosophical veganism.
    Traditional/conditioned/cultural veganism.
    Forced veganism.
    "Look at me I'm special/look at me I'm trendy" veganism.

It's all about the reasons, yo. Personally, I am vegan not because I love animals, but because I hate plants! No, just kidding. I don't hate plants. I'm a hippy who loves everything. I am a vegan myself because it's the only diet that just makes 100% sense. I guess you could call me intellectual/logical/philosophical vegan.

• themightykaci
    themightykaci Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HAHA
    BMBcVA0CAAEMjjI.jpg

I am doing the Plant Based thing, trying to eat as much Raw Vegan Whole foods as I can, cooked when it is more convenient and avoiding all processed junk food and animal products except maybe once a week or less, and then I am trying to do more fish than anything else. I love the animals and all but I am honestly motivated by weight loss and health.
    So far so good I am down like 7 pounds in about 10 days. I know that speed wont last but I am enjoying it while it does.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Like I said in the other thread, I think of veganism as an ethical position (so ethical veganism is implied). It would include no animal products, would not necessarily focus on being super healthy (although it might), wouldn't necessarily avoid ultra processed foods, etc.

I tend to think of plant-based as avoiding animal products for health reasons. Since it's for health reasons, there might be less strictness about NEVER eating animal products and the occasional consumption of such (JaneJellyRoll brought up on the other thread that Campbell of the China Study is not vegan, but 99% plant-based, according to him). If someone ate animal products more than extremely rarely as an exception, I'd probably deem them "mostly plant based." I also think of plant based as focused on eating a really healthy (as they define it) diet for the most part, so don't really distinguish between plant-based and whole foods plant based ("WFPB"), although I suppose one could. I'd group all the Ornish, Campbell, Gregor of NutritionFacts, Concerned Physicians, Engine2, Fuhrman, Starch Solution, so on stuff here, although I think a number of the people in this camp also share the ethical concerns so might also be vegan. These people tend to avoid added sugar, refined grains, often oils, may have low fat and/or low protein macros, and the like.

There's also raw vegan/plant-based, I suppose.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I consider myself whole foods plant based and try to follow a Dr. Fuhrman-style diet for 80%-90% of my calories. That means to me that 80-90% of my calories usually come from raw and cooked vegetables and fruits, nuts, beans, and whole unprocessed grains. The other 10-20% of my diet comes from dairy, eggs, and a little added sugars/oils, and occasional treats. My biggest driver is health, but ethics is a factor too. I've been an ethical vegetarian for twenty years, and limited dairy/eggs (and trying to source them as ethically as possible) appeals to me.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It's pretty cut and dry from a simple google search. I don't think there's really opinions about what each one entails.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's pretty cut and dry from a simple google search. I don't think there's really opinions about what each one entails.

You obviously haven't been involved in many of the conversations around here... no worries though. There is a vast and varied difference of opinion in many instances, and the reason that I created this thread was to hopefully move one of the arguments about this topic into a place built for that as opposed to derailing some other OP's thread. It happens a lot, the ethical vegans and dietary/non-ethical vegans get all at odds over the word vegan and its meaning, the plant based people get at odds with the vegetarians, etc...

All of them being equally valid lifestyle choices, I simply wanted to have a platform to allow the discussion of opinions in a dedicated space.

*Edited because words are hard.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I always thought "plant-based" was just mostly vegetarian, for health reasons. Might eat a little meat or other animal products, but the main diet is plants.

I always assumed the only "vegan" was for ethical reasons.

I guess the Whole Food plant based gets to brag about eating "clean"? :tongue:

I'm interested to hear what folks have to say! I have learned so much about how people define their WOE and others' WOE since joining here.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

yea you must be new... there are pretty varied definitions and personal opinions regarding all of the different vegan/plant based/vegetarian labels.

As I have said many of times a simple google search could answer literally every single post that gets posted on here thus making this website pointless. The point is for us to have a community disccusion and interaction.

I said this in another post and it was said on here that to me an animal product eater could be plant based because based doesnt mean exclusive. I think the vegan community kinda took ahold of that label because of a good amount of them eating raw.