Not losing weight help!!!!

Options
Ok I started this a week ago tomorrow and have been doing really well doing 50 min exercise a day one of those days weights only, I have been eating healthy staying under 1900 calories no cokes. I just weighed for the 1st time and haven't lost a single pound??? I feel like I have lost inches though. Any advice would be great!
I'm 33 5 foot 4 and weigh 278 currently 40 min treadmill and 20 minutes recumbent bike daily

Replies

• Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. It's been only one week. Keep it up, you're doing great!
    One tip is to buy a food scale and weight everything you eat and drink. In that way, you can be sure how many calories you get and know that food isn't the problem.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • tiddolski
    tiddolski Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My advice is, it's only been 1 week. You've changed your exercise which means that you're most likely building muscle. Check your measurements with a tape and record them. :) keep going and soon enough the fat will come off. Not all victories are on the scales ;)

Good luck and don't give up yet.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    tiddolski wrote: »
    My advice is, it's only been 1 week. You've changed your exercise which means that you're most likely building muscle. Check your measurements with a tape and record them. :) keep going and soon enough the fat will come off. Not all victories are on the scales ;)

Fair enough advice except that you don't build muscle over only one week. Building muscle takes a lot of time and hard work.

Like everyone else said, it's only been one week. That's not nearly enough time to see anything significant. If anything you may be retaining water because if your body isn't used to the exercise you'll have some inflammation (which is normal) and any fat loss will be masked by the water retention.

The best lesson you have to learn while doing this is PATIENCE and a stubbornness to keep doing what you're doing, even when you're not seeing the scale move.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    tiddolski wrote: »

Nope nope nope. Not gaining any muscle in one week. But there might be water retention in your muscles.

It's only been one week. Patience grasshopper or you'll drive yourself insane. Work on your logging accuracy and keep at it! You've got this.
  • nikki94541
    nikki94541 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Actually it takes six weeks for your body to change. It is also only a week into your change. You are doing weight training, however you need aerobic exercise (cardio). Take comfort in knowing that muscle burns fat even when you are sleeping. It just takes time. Like the first one said make sure you log everything in because you could be so used to eating whatever and not accounting for it. Building muscle is not like it is bad just add a bit of cardio.
  • insideout7962
    insideout7962 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the great advice I have been doing cardiologist mostly and weights once a week so far I'm logging everything and drinking tons of water I am going to keep with it I did measurements yesterday so I could check in a week or so thanks again for the confidense boost I'm impatient I guess lol
  • insideout7962
    insideout7962 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Down 14 pounds!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yesssssss!
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the great advice I have been doing cardiologist mostly and weights once a week so far I'm logging everything and drinking tons of water I am going to keep with it I did measurements yesterday so I could check in a week or so thanks again for the confidense boost I'm impatient I guess lol

Don't forget to get adequate sleep. Rest is the only time the body gets a chance to repair itself and get rid of the lactic acid. Stick with it - you're on the right track and will do fine.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Great job keep it up!!
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Actually it takes six weeks for your body to change. It is also only a week into your change. You are doing weight training, however you need aerobic exercise (cardio). Take comfort in knowing that muscle burns fat even when you are sleeping. It just takes time. Like the first one said make sure you log everything in because you could be so used to eating whatever and not accounting for it. Building muscle is not like it is bad just add a bit of cardio.

Basically, the more muscles you can involve in a single movement (eg running), the more calories you'll shred. Other good exercises that way are burpees and speed squats. You might only be able to do a couple sets at the outset, but as you (a) see the results, (b) feel more confident and (c) improve form -- the mirror will confirm what I'm telling you now.