Ravenous on run days

Options
I run/walk 3-6 miles every other day. I'm always over my calories by a significant amount on those days. Am I alone in this?

Replies

• alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think you'd be alone in that. Personally, I try not to go too far over goal if I can Help it. But if I'm seriously hungry, especially after doing a lot of cardio- I'll make an exception :wink:
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This is a common issue. Try more protein on run days, especially within an hour after a run.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    are you including the calories you need to fuel that activity or just going off your baseline...your base calories do not include exercise which is why you log it and get extra calories. If you're just going off your base then you're probably not going over in reality.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Are you hoping to build muscle or are you hoping to lose weight?
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    SkinnyFatBGone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Lose weight.
    I also drink a protein shake almost immediately after my workout on run days and I eat back all of my exercise calories.
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I run/walk 3-6 miles every other day. I'm always over my calories by a significant amount on those days. Am I alone in this?
    Are you eating back some excersize calories?
    What are your stats? How big of a calorie deficit are you going for?

I actually am less hungry on long run days, but more hungry the day after a long run.
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    SkinnyFatBGone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I eat back all of my exercise. I'm 5'10 and 152 pounds. I'm set to lose .5 pounds per week.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You are smack dab in the middle of a healthy weight, why do want to lose more weight? Maybe its your body telling you it likes this weight. Have you thought of recomping instead?
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunately very common. I haven't really got a handle on it yet either, I try to not eat before exercising and then eat a regular to biggish meal after, that helps a little bit. Also upping the protein on those days is a good idea. Generally you will have to play around a little with timing/amount/macros of what you eat on those days to figure out what works best for you.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Two things with exercise - prefuel and refuel. I've found just about any protein-rich food will do. Typically, i use a couple hard boiled eggs to prefuel and refuel. Prefueling and refueling are not substitutes for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Try the prefuel/refuel regime and see what happens. I bet the hungries disappear.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I find it to be the case after faster than usual runs, so I do these in the evening right before a big dinner, then to bed after a couple of hours to sleep it off.
  • dantom80
    dantom80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tend to be less hungry on days that I workout, but I am unusual in that aspect. Most people tend to get more hungry I would assume.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    dantom80 wrote: »
    I tend to be less hungry on days that I workout, but I am unusual in that aspect. Most people tend to get more hungry I would assume.

That's actually how I feel on light to moderate workouts.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a pound since I started doing more intense workouts. Too hungry.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hmm. My appetite is definitely lower on my cardio days.

On my lifting days, I could eat an entire cow it feels like!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I find myself more hungry the day after I run. I'm usually not very hungry the same day so I'll "save up" some calories for the next day when I know I'll be more hungry. Maybe you could eat a little less on your non-run days so that your weekly deficit will be the same?
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    On my hiking days (6-8 hours on trail) , my appetite is minimal....the next day, don't touch my food or you could loose an arm