Long commute

Options
lisahebert186
lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
I commute an hour and a half to two hours one way 5 days a week for work. Anyone else have a long commute?

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    9.5 miles from my front door to my shops front door. Just enough to ride my bike to work. However my wife is over 30 miles one way from her employer.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    About an hour to hour 20 mins one way, so not as bad but still not fun.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    45 minutes - an hour one way.
    Thank goodness for Podcasts and talk radio.
    :p
  • lisahebert186
    Options
    Yes. I sing a lot in my car. Lol
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 374 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I used to work about 15-20 miles from work. It took anywhere from 45mins to an hour and a half depending on traffic. Thankfully I got a job where my commute is only around 5 minutes. Sometimes I miss listening to music playlists in the car in the morning -- it perked me up for the day! Now I get in one song if I'm lucky lol
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    45 minutes one way in summer. A hour to an hour n a half come winter. I live in a rural area so it's not traffic just country roads haha.
  • sabulaboys4
    sabulaboys4 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I commuted for over an hour each way because I wanted my kids growing up in a small town and small school
  • lisahebert186
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    OP, you have satellite radio in your car I hope.

Yes I do. I love it.
  • lisahebert186
    Options
    I commuted for over an hour each way because I wanted my kids growing up in a small town and small school

That's why we moved out of the city, so our kids could go to a good school.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I used to have an hour commute each way, and it was the most miserable thing ever. Now it is 15 minutes. Pure joy, I tell you.
  • InfoomaousTete
    InfoomaousTete Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    30 minutes each way, up to an hour or more each way come winter! I am an audio book junkie so I actually look forward to my commute.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I commute an hour and a half to two hours one way 5 days a week for work. Anyone else have a long commute?

You must live near DC
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For the last 8 years I have had a 15 minute commute, all back roads. I'm currently considering a job change that will bring my commute up to 30 min, all highway. Its the biggest negative on my lists of pros and cons.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Depends on where I'm working that day. Sometimes it's a couple and sometimes it's 45+ minutes
  • lisahebert186
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »

You must live near DC

No, Houston, Texas
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My commute is anywhere from an hour to hour & half one way, if traffic isn't too bad. If traffic is atrocious it's been 2+ hours. :/ I work 63 miles from my home
  • happyracer2002
    happyracer2002 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I work 60 miles away... 55-60 minutes drive one way.
  • lisahebert186
    Options
    I'm only 34 miles from work but traffic is ridiculous.
  • yasmine_tom
    yasmine_tom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same. I'm about 1 hour to 1.5 hours commute to work each day. It is really draining. I have satellite radio which I love - anyone listen to kevin hart; straight from the hart? It's hilarious.. I come home and feel so hungry! It's a losing battle at that point. Anybody have any tips to combat this type of effect from a long commute?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    I stumble from the bedroom to the coffee maker and then to the home office.

I once had a gig where I was commuting about 45 minutes, to an hour, each way.

When I took the position, I told the company "Yeah, I'll be in office for the first month and then I'll work remotely thereafter."

They said: "okay"

10 weeks later I'm still making the drive.....

I just told them: "This isn't working out; sorry."