Shorty Running Speeds

Options
So I'm 4 feet 11 inches. Short. Really short.

When I run or jog on a treadmill the person next to me can be going the exact same speed. But my legs are having to move twice as fast to keep up. It drives me crazy. I'm shooting for a 5K at 5mph (can do it at 4.3 mph). But that's pathetically slow.

A few weeks ago I was heading to a treadmill and passed a woman on her own treadmill going about as fast as I do. Only she was much taller and going 6.5 mph.

Are there any other shorty's out there that are driven crazy by this?

The argument I've read is that it takes a person of larger stature more energy to move than a person of smaller stature. So a short person moving quickly and a tall person moving at a medium pace are both using equal energy.

So am I just slow? That's how I feel. Slow. :frown:

Replies

• hillbillygeek
    Options
    Well, I'm not a qualified 'shorty' so I can't speak for that people group, but I can tell you want I do. When I go to the gym and work out, I explicitly DO NOT compare myself to others. My workout is for me. I can watch them, learn from them, and sometimes mimic them, but my workout is mine and nobody else's. So when my technique is flawed, it's okay, I'm not a pro yet. Staying focused on me, on improving my technique, my breathing, and my pace and striving to perfect that keeps me from getting discouraged by what I can't do, or haven't learned to do well yet.

I hope this helps. If not, just ignore it.

Wishing you well, and you know who too!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I'm 4'11" as well and I've been doing C25K training. I use cardio trainer for android when I run and I am consistently between 5 and 6 MPH. I read somewhere that 7 MPH is a SLOW jog and thought WTH??? But... such is life when you're a shorty, I guess. If I can finish my first 5k in under 35 minutes, I'll consider myself a winner no matter WHAT the speed... ;)
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm the same... my 'comfortable' running speed is about 4.5 mph and it sucks!!! I can run about 3 miles on that with no problem. I'm 5 ft and my legs are proportionately shorter to the rest of my body.... I can go about 6 mph if I cane it but it looks like I'm sprinting (and only probably for 1 mile tops)... so there you go! It's possible but difficult! I guess go with your comfortable speed and work from there... it's not how fast you run but that you're doing it in the first place :)

You'll still get a mad workout from running :)
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    So I'm 4 feet 11 inches. Short. Really short.

When I run or jog on a treadmill the person next to me can be going the exact same speed. But my legs are having to move twice as fast to keep up. It drives me crazy. I'm shooting for a 5K at 5mph (can do it at 4.3 mph). But that's pathetically slow.

A few weeks ago I was heading to a treadmill and passed a woman on her own treadmill going about as fast as I do. Only she was much taller and going 6.5 mph.

Are there any other shorty's out there that are driven crazy by this?

The argument I've read is that it takes a person of larger stature more energy to move than a person of smaller stature. So a short person moving quickly and a tall person moving at a medium pace are both using equal energy.

So am I just slow? That's how I feel. Slow. :frown:

no its your legs, i get annoyed to i will be zipping away walking extremly briskly (for my little legs) and get here and it says moderate pace, moderate pace my *kitten*. and when i run on the tread , or off what is a nice easy but running pace, isnt even listed as running here

SHORTYS REVOLT!!!!!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I also don't compare myself to other people when at the gym. I do laugh at the people who ramp up the incline on the treadmill, turn up the speed to 4mph, and have to hold on while walking to keep up. That is not a workout and you look like a fool.

I'm short and I'm a runner. At 5'3', I can outrun/outpace most of the tall runners you compare yourself to. Honestly, don't blame it on your stature...you are capable of so much more. Don't sell yourself short on account of your height.

And hit the road and get off the treadmill. Then you can run without having to compare yourself. And get some fresh air.
  • alburt
    alburt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm 5'4", and my best bud, and running partner is 5'9" tall. We have this conversation all the time. While she's walking to my running pace, I have to remind her that for every one stride she takes, I've taken two. Is it frustrating at times? Of course. But what I've found is that she will tone down her pace, or run back to me if she gets too far ahead. The main thing is that, she brings out the competitor in me and forces me to keep going. And you know what? My overall speed has increased over time. Yes I'm still slow. Yes I get frustrated. But six months ago, I couldn't run at all. Now I'm running races and doing relays. Slow, but steady I make it to the finish line. Don't give up, your speed will increase. And as long as you're still running, you've already won the race. :)
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    O.M.G.

I was JUST thinking about this today.

First of all, I am SO much slower than you, so that should make you feel better! LOL

I just go with it. I just finished c25K, so the fact that I am jogging at all is nothing short of a miracle!

SHORTIES UNITE!!!
  • live2ridesleds
    live2ridesleds Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" tall (short), and one of my exercise buddies is almost 6' tall. She speed walks, and I have to jog, it is a slower jog about 4.2-4.5. BUT it is a tad to fast for me to walk. I wear a Garmin heart rate monitor and she wears a Pulsar monitor, I will tell you I am seriously frustrated!! She burns WAY more calories than I do......not exactly sure how to explain it. SO I just work out on my own, jogging at 7k ft elevation on a dirt road up and down hills. Keep my heart rate up and hoping to lose my last 10 lbs!!
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" tall (short), and one of my exercise buddies is almost 6' tall. She speed walks, and I have to jog, it is a slower jog about 4.2-4.5. BUT it is a tad to fast for me to walk. I wear a Garmin heart rate monitor and she wears a Pulsar monitor, I will tell you I am seriously frustrated!! She burns WAY more calories than I do......not exactly sure how to explain it. SO I just work out on my own, jogging at 7k ft elevation on a dirt road up and down hills. Keep my heart rate up and hoping to lose my last 10 lbs!!

The calorie thing kills me too! I'll burn 700 calories while some dude doing the same aerobics routine will burn 1400. Bah!!!

LoL!
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's such a hard thing. I'll be huffing and puffing and then I have to log my jog as a walk. It's not fair. :-( Okay I'm over it.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm also 4'11 and always secretly annoyed (ok, envious) when I see other people's speeds. I usually jog at 4.5 or 5.0 now, and have gone as fast as 6.5 for short periods of time but I feel like that's bordering on dangerous because it's a little too fast for me to know what's going on. It's nice to know that other shorties feel slow, too...even though we're not!
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I also don't compare myself to other people when at the gym. I do laugh at the people who ramp up the incline on the treadmill, turn up the speed to 4mph, and have to hold on while walking to keep up. That is not a workout and you look like a fool.

I'm short and I'm a runner. At 5'3', I can outrun/outpace most of the tall runners you compare yourself to. Honestly, don't blame it on your stature...you are capable of so much more. Don't sell yourself short on account of your height.

And hit the road and get off the treadmill. Then you can run without having to compare yourself. And get some fresh air.

My goal is to be at a 6 mph 5K by this time next year. I won't let it hold me back, it just pisses me off that if I was taller I would already be doing a 6 mph 5K if I went at the same pace I'm going now, lol.

I also am looking foward to getting outside. I already have a route picked out. But here in AZ it's really not healthy to be outside running around right now. Once fall hits I'll be on it.

Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    My husband and I (bless his heart!) run 3k every morning. Correction, I run and he walks beside me :) Although I'm not short (5'7") I think we must still look pretty funny on the sidewalk. I'm running my little heart out and he's not even breathing hard! I'm working at keeping up the pace and by the end of the summer I'm hoping that he'll be able to run beside me. He too will run ahead and then run back to keep me company.

He just keeps telling me that I'm doing great - I started being able to run around our 625m block once without stopping - so making it to 3k is pretty much a miracle. One year I'll do a 5k.

Keep up the good work!