Does Anyone Not Actually Calorie Count?

Options
2»

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I log, but I use it to track macros and selected nutrients rather than calories. I'd remove calories from my diary altogether if I could, but MFP requires that column to show.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't count calories now, but I find it helpful to do for a while so I can have a good sense of what works in a normal day for me and roughly how caloric a meal is. But I also eat according to a pretty similar pattern most of the time (with some room for restaurant meals and special occasions, of course).

For some people writing down what you eat to be more mindful without worrying about calories can work as a learning experience too. I enjoyed MFP this time (playing around with numbers and macros is fun for me), but years ago I lost weight doing that and just focusing on portion control and eating healthfully.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    If you've counted calories in the past, you probably have a good idea about what appropriate portions look like. I'm counting right now because I'm trying to lean out and I'll blow my deficit out if I don't track, but when I'm maintaining I don't log often. If you're not losing/your weight goes up, maybe log a few days to see where you're going wrong, but don't do anything that makes you feel obsessive. That's not a good way to live!
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have maintained for several years and I still weigh certain foods (meats, avocado, cereal). I have not logged in months, I know my numbers to maintain so I estimate 450-500 cals for breakfast, lunch, dinner and 3 snacks around 250 cals. I have eaten healthy for so many years that I feel like I have a good handle on estimation. I usually don't worry so much when it comes to eating out or vacations, just go with the flow.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't count or log calories. Weighing and measuring every ingredient was just too much hassle and made me sad. I thought it would be fun and helpful but it wasn't. I've lost over 30 lbs without it.
  • StayFit_123
    StayFit_123 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Read this article, the writer tried to lose 50 lbs, it didn't work until she stopped the obsession with counting and weighing....http://simplysparkling.life/lose-weight-wo-trying/

The story made a scene on Reddit for days and I started follow her for obvious benefits of her blog.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I haven't counted calories in over three years of maintenance...but I know how to eat and train.
  • sachasalviax
    sachasalviax Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! <3
  • changedbyhisgrace
    changedbyhisgrace Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. calorie counting drives me nuts. I really like the app for the support and to get a view of the nutrition I am taking in. I do peep at my calories sometimes, but I've decided not to "live" by them. Counting calories has never worked for me with weight loss. Never. There other ways you can maintain a healthy body weight without calorie counting. Everyone is different, so find what works for you. I am out exploring other ways other than calorie counting to reach my weightloss goals. If you would like to join me, feel free to add me as a buddy :)
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just read a pretty good article about this. Here you go!
    https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/nutrition/calorie-counting/