I'm always HUNGRY

Options
I work out 3 to 4 days a week. I get so hungry at night mostly and I have no will power.: (

Replies

• reannaaliza
    reannaaliza Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with getting hungry and night and losing control!! Right now I'm aiming to go to bed earlier so that I'm not awake during the time this usually happens. Another thing I do to curb hunger at night is drink tea! That with a glass of water seems to fill me up and do the trick
  • mebena81
    mebena81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to know I'm not alone lol! That's a good idea. I will try this. Thanks for responding
  • mebena81
    Options
    Those are awesome tips. Thank you :)
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Google low Gi foods
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions already given. First step, are you actually hungry? Or do you eat at night due to habit and/or boredom? IF you are truly hungry then try the tips given above.
  • Marycycles
    Marycycles Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I recommend more exercise and yes eat all those extra calories. I also recommend not wasting them on junk food that doesn't fill you up. Nobody can maintain a lifestyle that is going to leave you hungry every night.
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs. They are always in my fridge. If I am starving hungry, I pop one, with a large glass of water. An egg is the perfect portion, protein, fat, no carbs, quick and easy, and endlessly versatile, have it with Siracha, or mustard, or dill, zatar...and it is very satisfying.
  • ThickJoker
    ThickJoker Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've been calorie counting for 100+ days now..
    I've lost 45 lbs....

I'm still always hungry... I kinda just accepted I'll never not be hungry honestly...
    Nothing makes me NOT "hungry"... more water I'm still hungry but now I know I need to pee in 4 minutes.

Changing what and when I eat, I'm still hungry due to the amount I ate.
    I've always got that just subtle stomach is gonna low key growl any second feeling.

I just try to ignore it best I can.

It's not like I'm under-intaking myself, if anything I'm usually off and over by a little... I'm just still hungry.
  • heroldj04
    heroldj04 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked into a High carb low fat vegan diet? Everyone is afraid of carbs and I was there too. But in reality, fat stays fat and carbs are energy to fuel your brain and body. They satisfy and calm your hunger. Maybe try eating healthy night snacks such as dried fruits- then you could work downward to not eating night snacks! My main meals are made up of rice, beans, lentils, veggies etc. It fills me up so much and they're mostly high in protein! Don't give up (:
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    @diannethegeek's tips are all excellent, and have all helped me with my hunger issues. Even after implementing pretty much all of them, I was still waking up in the middle of the night starving until I added:

8) drink 4 oz of water with water-soluble fiber like Benefiber or Optifiber before bed. For me, that's just enough water that I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to pee ;) Now I sleep through the night and don't even wake up that hungry.

I also find that multivitamins make me slightly nauseated, so I'll take those sometimes when I'm hungry and the nausea makes the hunger go away. Depending on your priorities, this may or may not be an approach that other people want to try :D
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    @ThickJoker i am the same way...i could NEVER not eat. i'm always some shade of hungry. i drink tons of water and it really does help, but yeah, still hungry.

peckish i can (have learned to) deal with; han*gry i cannot. for me, it's all about preventing han*gry.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    mebena81 wrote: »
    I work out 3 to 4 days a week. I get so hungry at night mostly and I have no will power.: (

How aggressive is your calorie goal? If you're used to eating 3000+ calories a day, it may not be a good idea to immediately set your calorie goal to 1200cal/day right off the bat.

@diannethegeek gave some excellent advice, OP - please be sure to read her post.

From personal experience, upping my fluid intake is super helpful. Whereas I used to always assume I was hungry... nowadays I realize that I'm probably a bit thirsty since I'm now accustomed to drinking all the time.

I skip breakfast and either have a very small lunch, or none. I bank all my calories on dinner, and enjoy a large, awesome portion that fits my calories. I find that I'm never hungry in the morning and my hunger around lunch is generally minimal and easily ignored. If you're eating several small meals a day, it may be worth seeing if alternating your eating schedule helps.

Part of what I found difficult was mental/emotional hunger. I was accustomed to eating at certain times, or needing to keep my mouth engaged if I was doing something otherwise stationary, like watching TV, playing a video game, etc. Chewing gum and drinking water are excellent substitutes for those times that you may feel compelled to eat out of boredom or just needing something to do.

If you gotta snack, pick low-cal, filling snacks. I'm very partial to flavored rice cakes, popcorn, pickles, etc. :smiley:
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's mental rather than really being hungry. I retrained my brain first by telling myself it's OK to feel hungry then by deliberately skipping a meal once in awhile to evaluate the emotions I was feeling. I learned that I would be OK and wasn't going to starve not to constantly have something in my mouth. I learned to soothe my emotions in other ways. Just something to think about.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Protein & Fiber. Get 30g of fiber in your day and 30% cals from protein and that can fix a lot. I'm a black hole for food but after switching to this I sometimes dread lunchtime because I'm just not hungry.
  • mebena81
    Options
    Wow! These are ALL AWESOME tips. Thanks everyone for responding. I've been trying the benefiber in water and tea at night. Also waiting 20 mins after eating to decide if I'm really hungry again. I think it's all mental for me. It's self satisfaction eating. Im a work in progress. I WON'T give up. Thanks again! :)
  • mrsgoss
    mrsgoss Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So glad I stumbled on this thread! Great tips for me as I struggle with this as well and just getting into the swings of things into my second week.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A couple years ago when I dropped about 13kg, hunger was a major issue. I tried all the tips I could find, nothing really worked and I just suffered. Finally, I sort of gave up on the calorie deficit and focused more on building lean body mass. I kept my meals about the same, I just added snacks and sometimes deserts to not be hungry. My most common snack was peanuts.

Anyway I'm back to dropping now and mainly I just dropped the snacks and deserts. I'm slightly hungry but it isn't anything like before. I've also made some changes to my workout to push up the calories consumed but it isn't killing me this time. Also things that didn't work before are working now, like drinking a black coffee.

I'm not recommending plateauing for 2 years like I did. However maybe ease off the deficit a bit and focus more on other aspects might help. In my case, working out suppresses hunger for a while. Maybe the fact I can workout harder now helps. I'm not completely sure. I'm just happy I'm don't have the horrible hunger anymore. It is also possible that the consistent workouts have helped my body responded better.

My weight is dropping slowly now, but I'm really happy because I'm seeing a slow increase in my lean body weight and my body fat is dropping. This is what I was trying to do a few years ago. I guess my body is just finally ready to do it.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    happygalah wrote: »
    Sometimes it's mental rather than really being hungry. I retrained my brain first by telling myself it's OK to feel hungry then by deliberately skipping a meal once in awhile to evaluate the emotions I was feeling. I learned that I would be OK and wasn't going to starve not to constantly have something in my mouth. I learned to soothe my emotions in other ways. Just something to think about.

Wow! You are really tough!
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That is true. I am hungry. I am eating a lot less food than I used to eat. That is the way it is. I am in training, to accept feeling hunger, and feeling lighter. I no longer have that stuffed feeling. No more 2nd, and 3rd helpings, and go back for midnight snacks.

I can eat as much celery, spinach, and hard boiled eggs...as much as I want...I always have those foods available. Five stalks of celery, my mouth craving is over. I put all kinds of crazy seasoning on celery, that satisfies my "taste" hunger. The other day I had cinnamon and Splenda celery! Very cool.