Got dumped and broke my diet

Options
So my girlfriend dumped me. It's a long story and long stories are only good when they have happy endings which this one does not so I'll spare the details. Point is in my new found depression I went on a little binge and basically ate the entire contents of my fridge. Of course this is the reason I was so big to begin with. Whenever I'm sad or upset I always turned to food and even though I thought I had moved passed that crutch apparently I haven't. I'm not giving up though. Just putting what I've done down here so that I can read it and hold myself accountable for my actions over the last 24 hours.

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Good for you for staying accountable and I hate you are going through that. Better days are ahead!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Confession is good for the soul --so they say. Sorry you had to go through a bad breakup but tomorrow is a new day, full of possibilities and new beginnings. Start there and take it one day at a time. Soon, the one days will add up to a whole lot of days. Best of luck!
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    In times like this working out should help take you mind off of the breakup. It will also help keep you esteem up. Good luck!
  • shellyb1229
    shellyb1229 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your relationship. You did hold yourself accountable for your actions and that is not and easy fete. Try to take some time for yourself........
  • pipthegirl
    pipthegirl Posts: 14
    Options
    As a girl, I don't think it is a hate crime for me to tell you:

Don't worry, girls suck. It's a general rule for us to be pure evil when we're young. Some of us grow out of it, and some of us don't, like my mother-in-law.

No need to waste calories on my gender!
  • Peekadoo
    Peekadoo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It will get better. Hang in there.
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    So sorry to hear that! At least you are recognizing those patterns now - that will help you in the long run. It is hard not to get hung up on small setbacks but you can do it!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    So...I remember being in this place. You so want to believe you have changed your lifestyle and then something like this happens, and you feel like it's not really a lifestyle change...you're just kidding yourself with all the healthy choices you've been making.

What helps me, is to look at it this way. Before you started MFP you would eat unhealthy every single day and then one day decide to eat healthy, but then go back to eating unhealthy for the rest of the time. Does that make you a healthy person because you ate healthy one day? Nope. You were still an unhealthy person who had 1 good day - and in the long run, that day did absolutely nothing for you.

Now, what's changed is you are a very healthy person. One single day of bad choices does not make you unhealthy. It probably won't really affect you at all.

Chin up. You have done well so far, and you will continue to do so. A bad day just means your human. :)
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    ok everyone is allowed to mess up now and then...back on track tomorrow and then just keep in mind that she doesn't know what she is missing.

Looking good is the best revenge....didn't Ivanna Trump say something like that?

Hugs to you for what you are going through.
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    you will find someone. use this time to be the best you!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I have a HORRIBLE problem with turning to food as well. I actually went on a binge yesterday after a horrible day. Just remember to keep your head up, and don't look to food! Yes, it provides temporary happiness, but you feel worse after. I am so sorry for what happened to you, but keep your head held high! :)
  • semoultrie
    Options
    I understand that this is not a happy situation. However, I hope you can someway use it as motivation to get back on track! Some lucky lady is waiting...
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ops, but time will heal all wounds. Take care of yourself!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This happens to everyone, the important thing to do is to not let it continue for many days. Stop it now before you do too much damage. A few months ago, I went thru something like that and I ate a whole bag of double stuffed vanilla oreos, and hooter wings and french fries and a bottle of wine, and a few pints of ice cream. Within one evening. I am sure your binge could not have been as bad as mine!! LOL!! I wrote that to show you we all go thru bad times, but stop it now, eating well and working out will make you feel better, and stronger for you to get thru this situation. Then you can find a nicer, kinder girlfriend!! :)

Hang in there!
  • Asiral
    Asiral Posts: 133
    Options
    Im glad you are holding yourself accountable, Im going to be a little harsh on you right now, so brace yourself. Get your butt back in gear!!! No more excuses!!! We have to help eachother along in this journey and thats why we are on MFP. Tomorrow is a new day, and I expect you to get back up on that horse, and log your food and workout! This is NOT a diet, this is a lifestyle change. So chin up, walk tall, and do what you need to do to be healthy! The end result will be happiness in yourself and your life :D
  • 73vanessa
    73vanessa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So my girlfriend dumped me. It's a long story and long stories are only good when they have happy endings which this one does not so I'll spare the details. Point is in my new found depression I went on a little binge and basically ate the entire contents of my fridge. Of course this is the reason I was so big to begin with. Whenever I'm sad or upset I always turned to food and even though I thought I had moved passed that crutch apparently I haven't. I'm not giving up though. Just putting what I've done down here so that I can read it and hold myself accountable for my actions over the last 24 hours.

Stay focused on the new you and the rest will follow. Sorry to hear the bad news, but I feel there are two positives from every negative
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate when I"m upset, but I try to cover my indulgence with exercise. When you deprive yourself of things you love, you tend to look for an excuse to have them, or at least I do. The trick is to have some naughty food in moderation. I've been on this site almost a year, and I can honestly say for the most part I have changed my eating habits. There are things I used to love that really dont taste all that good any more. When I go more than a day without a salad, I actually crave it now. :laugh:

I know you're hurt, but right now the best thing for you to do is to take care of you... which includes making smart choices. I wish you all the best. Love is never easy.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I know how it feels because it's happened to me in the past. The only thing that helped me was to work on myself. You are already doing that by being on MFP.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    prob dont want to hear this but now in my 40's and as I look back at all the guys who dumped me in hindsight .....most of them did me a favor !!
    I also turn to food for its comforting properties but I have had to change my relationship with food. Now it is only fuel for my body. It holds no magical power to make my pain go away. It doesnt stuff feelings deeper so I dont have to deal with them, they are still there just buried under all those cookies!! For me overeating compounds my problems....so now I've been dumped AND I went way off plan.
    Dont abuse yourself, take care of yourself and I'm sorry you are hurting but dont hurt yourself anymore....=)
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    Getting dumped really hurts, much more than breaking up. It is a blow to your self-esteem. However, you can feel good and look good, and put this behind you. Whether we eat when this happens to us, or drink alcohol, or whatever vice we engage in to compensate for our bad feelings, it all has to eventually stop. As someone said better to stop it now before you do damage.

Go for a run, walk, swim or bike ride first thing tomorrow morning. This is your life, right now, enjoy it.