I drink too much Diet Coke but it fills me up

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @Racheldasilva174 You should see how people freak out when you say you drink a Monster Ultra Zero every day... :D

I'm down 20 pounds...I'll keep my daily Monster, thanks.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Unless you actually know a scientist that has done a study to show yes it is bad for you or no it's not bad for you then you will never really know the truth. For every study found on the internet that shows that diet soda is bad for what ever reasons, you will find another study showing that it's not true. When it comes to the internet anyone can publish what ever they want.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    My family keeps telling me it will make me gain weight but it's 0 calories. I drink lots of water too. But Diet Coke is addicting. Anyone on here drink a lot?

When I first started losing, I bought a case of the stuff because, like you, it satiated my cravings and/or hunger.

I still drink quite a bit now because it doesn't make you gain weight and it's not any worse than the air you breathe, as for your health.

Whatever works for you, do!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My family keeps telling me it will make me gain weight but it's 0 calories. I drink lots of water too. But Diet Coke is addicting. Anyone on here drink a lot?

Are you drinking so much of it to suppress hunger? Is your family worried about your eating habits?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Do you like diet coke better than coke zero? I think the diet drinks are just OK, I much prefer the "zero" variety.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    hec1985 wrote: »
    It's the artificial sweeteners in diet coke. Studies have shown that those sweeteners have actually made people gain weight and have other health related problems.

Incorrect to a fault.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP why do you keep posting the same questions?
    What answers are you looking for??
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi by the truckload since October. I'm currently down 90lbs. Party on!
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I glug diet soda (LOVE Pepsi Max, Sprite Zero, diet A&W, Coke Zero, and Monster). Lost 70 lbs. So whoever says it's bad for weight loss is wrong. Health-wise, I know I should stop.
  • Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If I said to you "I eat too many M&Ms but it fills me up" what would you say and think?
    I think its more an excuse and looking for someone else to help justify or defend your choice.

Carbonated drinks add additional gas (carbonic acid) to your stomach which causes all sorts of issues.

The diet element is achieved by substituting sugars for chemicals but your brain is still being tricked into having its now imaginary sugar fix rather than learning to deal without it.

So as an alternate suggestion and something I have done for over 2 years and lost over 15kg with:

"I drink too much water but it fills me up"
    It was hard to adjust but it just takes willpower and commitment, you form a habit and then it just becomes natural....which is sort of how its supposed to be. My skin has never been better, my breath, health, digestion have all improved dramatically.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    Do you like diet coke better than coke zero? I think the diet drinks are just OK, I much prefer the "zero" variety.

Yes I prefer coke zero or Pepsi max too - I find diet coke chemically tasting.

Disclaimer - I do not think the chemicals are bad, I just don't like the taste.
  • chef447
    chef447 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Firstly, sorry about the following essay. It's a really interesting topic when you get down to it, and it's way too complicated a field to simply say 'Yes it does' or 'No it does't'. Seeing as you've posted this question before, hopefully this will give you a clearer answer.

A lot of people have a lot of different views on this! It's a tough one, and I also drink lots of diet coke and have noticed weight fluctuations, but I'm not sure how much of that can be linked to Diet Coke as there has never been a full scientific study on the stuff.

So lets break it down. Diet Coke has very few ingredients (even fewer could be considered natural) and it shares some of those ingredients with full full fat Coke. Carbonated Water, Caramel Color, Aspartame, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Benzoate (to Protect Taste), Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Caffeine. Those in bold are the same as in normal Coke.

In terms of it filling you up, Carbonated Water is water that has had Carbon Dioxide added. This will make you feel full in the same way as sparkling water will. The gas is released in your stomach causing you to feel fuller, but it doesn't last - The C02 is passed through your system (either going up or down) but can cause bloating and feeling fuller before it does that. By itself, Carbonated Water isn't hugely damaging to health - it's mildly acidic but that is neutralised by saliva before it does anything. It can cause IBS and other conditions, but very rarely is it the sole cause.

In terms of the other ingredients, the main bad boys in there are Aspartame, Phosphoric acid and Caffeine. Most people know that Phosphoric acid and Caffeine aren't great for you in large quantities, but they can have a beneficial outcome in smaller doses. Caffeine, for example, can boost metabolism and raise heart rate, causing a surge in the body's insulin production and a quickening in the break down of some sugars within the body.

However, the downside to this is the Aspartame. While not inherently harmful, Aspartame can cause certain reactions within the body that can cause it to contribute to weight gain. Specifically, Aspartame tricks the pancreas into creating and releasing more insulin to combat a sugar intake that has never happened (there is no actual sugar in Diet Coke, so the insulin is trying to do it's job with nothing there). Overtime, your body anticipates when you will be needing more insulin and produces it in accordance with what you eat and drink. Again, the down side is, your body produces x amount of insulin to combat x amount of sugars in your system. You then drink Diet Coke and the body sends some of that insulin to mop-up the (not actually there) sugars. Then you eat some food. Your body doesn't have enough insulin to breakdown the sugars in this food because its sent some of its store to combat the Aspartame. You then have left over sugar in your blood stream which is stored and converted to fat. Hence, Diet Coke can make you gain weight. (This is a very simplified version of the process, there is lots more to take into account when looking at insulin production, if you want to know more, get in touch or Wikipedia is actually a great resource for explaining it).

The study that looked at this was inconclusive and there are current studies ongoing on how much impact Diet Sodas actually have on the body's production of insulin. While Diet Coke itself doesn't carry much nutritional value, it does react with the body in negative ways under certain conditions. In all honesty, we don't know if Diet Coke causes weight gain. We don't know if Aspartame and is metabolites are causing significant damage to the liver and kidneys. We just don't know. In all honesty, if you are happy and healthy with the amount of Diet Coke you drink, continue, just try not to drink in excess.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Yes I prefer coke zero or Pepsi max too - I find diet coke chemically tasting.

Disclaimer - I do not think the chemicals are bad, I just don't like the taste.

^^What she said. Hell, I lost my first 60 pounds practically swimming in Coke Zero.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I stand corrected, I haven't read the latest on the topic. Seems to me, and this is just my opinion after doing a little research, that drinking things like diet coke gives some people a false sense to get away with eating more which in turn can cause weight gain. Again just my opinion.

You could have just said it was your opinion to begin with rather than try and pass it off as scientific fact. People asking for help here are trusting others to tell them what's what, giving them false information is harmful.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    There is some room for debate, but I read a study (and heard the same thing from my RD) that while diet drinks do not actually make you gain weight there is a physical effect drinking them has on your body . . . well actually, any item with artificial sweeteners will do the same thing.

So artificial sweeteners (AS) trigger the release of insulin in your body but the drink itself isn't actually putting any sugar into your body, but since insulin helps to clear sugar from the blood stream this effect is still happening because of the AS. So this leads to low sugar levels in your body, and you feel hungrier. Also because your sugar levels are low your body's automatic response is to find food with simple carbs, which quickly increase your sugar levels, and those foods tend to be calorie dense so you actually end up eating more than you normally would, or even should.

Again I am not saying this is absolute fact but this is how it was explained to me. So diet drinks do not directly lead to weight gain, but the physical effects of them can lead to higher caloric intake, which does lead to weight gain. So if you can control your caloric intake drinking them has zero effect on your life. I mean there isn't any nutritional benefit to them, but really if you have your CICO under control then there isn't any harm in it and drinking diet pops do not lead to weigh gain, just control your intake of calories like everything else.

Aspatame is made up for two amino acids (phenylalanine and aspartate) and cannot stimulate insulin. And while protein from food does stimulate protein, the quantities of the amino acids are so small, that you would have to drink a ridiculous amount to actually impact insulin.

If you are interested, one of the members (I believe he has his PhD in microbiology) explains everything.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

In a controlled environment like MFP, you will not gain weight while drinking a diet soda. But if the environment isn't controlled, some people might feel it's ok to eat more since they are drinking diet coke.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    chef447 wrote: »
    Firstly, sorry about the following essay. It's a really interesting topic when you get down to it, and it's way too complicated a field to simply say 'Yes it does' or 'No it does't'. Seeing as you've posted this question before, hopefully this will give you a clearer answer.

A lot of people have a lot of different views on this! It's a tough one, and I also drink lots of diet coke and have noticed weight fluctuations, but I'm not sure how much of that can be linked to Diet Coke as there has never been a full scientific study on the stuff.

So lets break it down. Diet Coke has very few ingredients (even fewer could be considered natural) and it shares some of those ingredients with full full fat Coke. Carbonated Water, Caramel Color, Aspartame, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Benzoate (to Protect Taste), Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Caffeine. Those in bold are the same as in normal Coke.

In terms of it filling you up, Carbonated Water is water that has had Carbon Dioxide added. This will make you feel full in the same way as sparkling water will. The gas is released in your stomach causing you to feel fuller, but it doesn't last - The C02 is passed through your system (either going up or down) but can cause bloating and feeling fuller before it does that. By itself, Carbonated Water isn't hugely damaging to health - it's mildly acidic but that is neutralised by saliva before it does anything. It can cause IBS and other conditions, but very rarely is it the sole cause.

In terms of the other ingredients, the main bad boys in there are Aspartame, Phosphoric acid and Caffeine. Most people know that Phosphoric acid and Caffeine aren't great for you in large quantities, but they can have a beneficial outcome in smaller doses. Caffeine, for example, can boost metabolism and raise heart rate, causing a surge in the body's insulin production and a quickening in the break down of some sugars within the body.

However, the downside to this is the Aspartame. While not inherently harmful, Aspartame can cause certain reactions within the body that can cause it to contribute to weight gain. Specifically, Aspartame tricks the pancreas into creating and releasing more insulin to combat a sugar intake that has never happened (there is no actual sugar in Diet Coke, so the insulin is trying to do it's job with nothing there). Overtime, your body anticipates when you will be needing more insulin and produces it in accordance with what you eat and drink. Again, the down side is, your body produces x amount of insulin to combat x amount of sugars in your system. You then drink Diet Coke and the body sends some of that insulin to mop-up the (not actually there) sugars. Then you eat some food. Your body doesn't have enough insulin to breakdown the sugars in this food because its sent some of its store to combat the Aspartame. You then have left over sugar in your blood stream which is stored and converted to fat. Hence, Diet Coke can make you gain weight. (This is a very simplified version of the process, there is lots more to take into account when looking at insulin production, if you want to know more, get in touch or Wikipedia is actually a great resource for explaining it).

The study that looked at this was inconclusive and there are current studies ongoing on how much impact Diet Sodas actually have on the body's production of insulin. While Diet Coke itself doesn't carry much nutritional value, it does react with the body in negative ways under certain conditions. In all honesty, we don't know if Diet Coke causes weight gain. We don't know if Aspartame and is metabolites are causing significant damage to the liver and kidneys. We just don't know. In all honesty, if you are happy and healthy with the amount of Diet Coke you drink, continue, just try not to drink in excess.

The bold is false. Neither aspartame not caffeine stimulate insulin production. Sugar, carbs and protein can all cause insulin production, but aspartame (as noted in my last post) doesn't have the quantity to impact a body's insulin response.

Also, Aspartame has been studied over 50 years. And only the blogs are the one who suggest its actually bad for you. Don't get me wrong, one should still drink water and other drinks but have a a few a day is not going to have any adverse affects on you, unless you are one of the few in the minority who get headaches from artificial sweeteners (<-- not the same as sugar).
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    I stand corrected, I haven't read the latest on the topic. Seems to me, and this is just my opinion after doing a little research, that drinking things like diet coke gives some people a false sense to get away with eating more which in turn can cause weight gain. Again just my opinion.

You could have just said it was your opinion to begin with rather than try and pass it off as scientific fact. People asking for help here are trusting others to tell them what's what, giving them false information is harmful.

You could have read a few post down and seen the person admitted they were wrong.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    To the three people who said it:

http://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/

Spoilers: The answer is no.