Macros question

Options
mitsimr
mitsimr Posts: 194 Member
Is it more important to meet the percentages or just hit the goal regardless of it throwing the percentages off. I play with numbers alot trying to hit my macros just right. Most of the time I have trouble hitting my carbs regardless of the fact I am not trying to limit my carbs. Now if you look at my diary I know my nutrition is off and I am working on that which is why I am asking this question. I am trying to plan out my meals in a way that I get adequate nutrition and meet my calorie goals.

Replies

• ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    mitsimr wrote: »
    Is it more important to meet the percentages or just hit the goal regardless of it throwing the percentages off. I play with numbers alot trying to hit my macros just right. Most of the time I have trouble hitting my carbs regardless of the fact I am not trying to limit my carbs. Now if you look at my diary I know my nutrition is off and I am working on that which is why I am asking this question. I am trying to plan out my meals in a way that I get adequate nutrition and meet my calorie goals.

Percentages is a useless gimmick. Same goes for meeting macro goals. This type of macro counting is only useful if you are one of those fitness models who compete on stage. At that level every gram counts. Also, if you are on low carb diet, in which case do not exceed you carb macros cos that will screw everything up. Duh! But other than that don't bother. Just waste of focus and time.

Just focus on meeting your calories goals and eating healthy, nutritional, whole foods. Make sure to have some fat every day tho, cos they are very important for proper hormone production. 2 to 3 tablespoons should be sufficient for you tho. Don't overthink it. Calories are what matters when it comes to weight loss/gain and types of foods are what matters when it comes to health, not macros or percentages.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to meet specific macros or following iifym or something similar, it's more important to meet the number goals than the percentage. I agree with the above poster that "calories are what matters when it comes to weight loss/gain," but little more included in that comment. First of all, as long as it doesn't stress you out to do so, tracking macros is not harmful at all and is NOT at waste of focus or time. That being said, if you're just starting out, I'd recommend you begin by tracking calories only, but just because it's important to start out with small changes in order to easily transition into (for lack of better term...) this lifestyle. Second of all, if you decide to track your macros, it is a personal choice. You will find that many MFP users care about their macros, many don't. I do. [Calories = 1364, Protein = 136g, Carbs = 68g, Fats = 61g]. Part of the reason I do is that I'd rather lose fat than just lose weight. (I typed out a big long explanation of this, then realized I was getting way off topic from your original question. Lol)

One of the things I disagree with heartily is the rest of the quoted sentence. While calories are what matter when it comes to weight loss, your macro ratio can significantly contribute to your state of health. For example, if you eat your calorie goal worth of cake and ice cream, you will still lose scale weight, however, you will not achieve optimum or even good health. The same could be said if you ate your calorie goals worth of just broccoli or chicken.

So, long story short, the percentages will change throughout the day as you add meals. Try to meet your protein goals first, then your fats, and fit carbs into what's left. :) Sorry for the long answer. Have a great day!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Because I have 11 pounds to lose and want to build muscle by lifting heavy, this matters a lot to me. I aim to hit my protein religiously. I want those last 11 pounds to be mostly fat. (currently, my BF% is 26; I am aiming for 22%)
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I aim for getting my protein in and keeping my calories under, but don't worry so much about what percentage of calories comes from fat or carbs. When I lose the 2349038240923804 pounds I have left to lose, I want there to be some muscle under there. Plus, hitting the protein goal means I'm not doing that thing where I go -1200 cals on a day instead of -700.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Most important is calories.

Many people view protein and fat #s as minimum goals to hit, and let carbs fall where they may (so if you go a little over on protein and fat, your carbs will end up a little lower).
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Macros are a range, calories are a more specific target.
  • mitsimr
    mitsimr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you everyone. My reasoning for this (which I probably should have put in the op) is I am trying to get everything together so I can do 5X5SL. When I started that I wanted be properly educated about the nutrition I needed to sustain the heavy lifting. All of your advice has been really helpful.