How to make WALKING or RUNNING enjoyable?

Options
13»

Replies

• FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've never used a treadmill - I like walking and running outside though. I look at peoples gardens and houses and think about which designs I like if I'm walking.
    Or I'll call a friend and talk while I walk.
    And if I'm just walking I find twisty, steep rocky tracks way more fun and exciting (I'm only 25km from a beautiful national park). Walking on the flat does get boring sometimes.
    I usually run out in the bush past the edge of town (no traffic, no people) and thats good too.

... um; try getting some scenery, lol :smile:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I wait until the cooler evening. But not so late that it's dark or bugs are out flying into my face. I listen to fun, upbeat music that makes me feel happy and alive. This music drives me to walk fast with a spring in my step and a wiggle in my hips. Sometimes I start dancing, skip or chasse. It gets my mind thinking. Sometimes I choreograph dances in my mind. Or I think about the next dancing or dance event I will go to. I like to walk up hills when I can. Sometimes I walk with a partner. My husband. My older daughter. A friend. It's such a great way to relax and unwind at the end of the day. Fresh air. Good for health.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    JennieMaeK wrote: »
    I don't mind the treadmill. The ones at the gym have tv screens on them and have programs that I can hike the Grand Canyon or along a boardwalk in New Zealand.
    Having walked those NZ boardwalk, both on a screen and IRL, I'll take the real ones any day. There really is no comparison :-)
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Walking/running outside with music is VERY enjoyable and not at all boring since I see different things and love the music.

Treadmill... It sucks staying in one place and running as if I were on an experiment. Unfortunately, I moved to a condo where the jogging path sucks (very short so no variety), so what I do is to do HIIT and make it intense as possible (15 kph on highest incline for 20-30 seconds, 1 minute recovery on full stop [I jump to sides] or 4-5kph on same incline). Not very enjoyable while doing it, but I found that I'm not bored, break a sweat, and next thing I know, it's already 20 minutes. I start enjoying after I finished it all bc I'm proud and I feel the adrenaline hhaha

Or when I used to run and walk long distances on no incline at all... Shameful to say, but I sort of danced and lip sang to music. Can't concentrate on the tv
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,199 Member
    Options
    Please share your strategies, routines that make walking, running ultimately enjoyable.

What's not to like!?

24249694825_e029def738_z.jpg

• Machka9
    Options
    Wow the consensus is treadmill sucks!

I dread running or walking in the street though, due to traffic, uneven pavement, dogs and dust.

The treadmill gets the job done but I agree it's quite mind numbing boring. I set up a TV in front and it helps a little. A little trick I do with my mind is once I get into the usual speed and rhythm I try to go into a trance like state!! That's probably like "zone out" as Villae81 put it.

Thanks a bunch everyone for your ideas.

I don't mind the treadmill ... maybe once a week or so in winter.

My husband and I went to the gym and used the treadmill this evening after work. I plug my earbuds into the treadmill TV, select a show I like, and get into the zone and the show.

I used to do commercial intervals ... walk briskly for 10 minutes or so to warm up, then run during the commercials and walk during the show, but now I've extended my running times so today, I did a 10 minute warmup, 15 minute run, then walked for a while, then ran for 15 minutes, then walked for the remainder of the 65 minutes I was on the treadmill. Slowly building up.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't walk on a treadmill. I'm not anti-treadmill but just don't have one.
    I walk listening to music or podcasts.
    I sometimes go for a walk with dh on a trail and there is lots of nature to observe or we make conversation.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    OP, you either enjoy it or you don't. Period

I'm going to disagree with this statement. There are lots of us who grew up hating running (we all had that coach that used running as punishment) and grudgingly started to run because it was the right thing to do and, subsequently grew to love it as soon as we wrapped our heads around it being our play time. It's 99.99% in your head......

• cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    when outside, i go somewhere scenic (the local rail trail for example). i've actually snuck up on doe near dusk before!

when on the treadmill, i catch up on my favorite show (turn: washington's spies - awesome show). i don't get to watch it when it's on, so it's a treat for me to stream it from amc's app. my gym has free wifi, so that's a plus.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Please share your strategies, routines that make walking, running ultimately enjoyable.

What's not to like!?

"What's not to like!?"

Definitely the mortgage payment for a tiny home nearby if I ever manage to have one. :)

But you are right. I LOVE being at the beach for whatever reason. Sadly my wife is very anti driving, anti minor inconvenience so we stopped going.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I hate running on the treadmill, but walking on it is my "me time" because that's when I catch up on my favorite shows on the DVR or binge something on Netflix.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

-- Start my treadmill slow, 2.5 mph for 5 minutes. Looking for body heat and the loose limb feeling.

Well what I personally do is....I don't run on a hamster wheel. The thing is, on a treadmill the view never changes. You are almost never...probably never ever....going to enjoy running on a treadmill. I mean, if you need a reference point on this go down to the pet store and check out a hamster. Does he look happy? Probably not. Because he's on a treadmill.

Also, at most gyms the canned air (air filtration system) is the same as the one hospitals use. Because of the halogen lighting, air filtration unit, and abundant screens, your body and mind become depressed. Television is a depressant, halogen lighting ensures that your body doesn't react normally to input like sunlight or darkness, so that it becomes nervous or depressive, never quite knowing what time it is.

In short, when you work out in a gym, your body thinks you must be sick. We're not made to stay inside. My advice is of course, to run outside and especially on hiking trails. If you have a pet, run with your pet to recapture the simple joy of running for no reason. If you find a special landmark, stop. On our favorite trail, there is a tree with great branches for hanging out over the water, and a swinging rope where you can drop yourself in and swim.

In fact, i'm pretty sure my running clothes are only so short and quick to dry because there might be a sprinkler, swimming pool, or lake somewhere on my route.

I'm happy on a treadmill. In fact I look forward to it because it's the only time I allow myself to listen to audiobooks so I always want to know what happened. For me, running outside sucks. Bad roads with holes and pebbles lying around, tiny streets, nothing but buildings as far as the eye can see, traffic, people, heat (dying this week 38-42 celsius for a whole damn week), no access to toilets... No thank you. I like the convenience of a fan, no sunstroke, with a cold bottle of water sitting on the treadmill, no noise, no tripping, bathroom access, can stop any time if I need to without needing to walk all the way back, just me, my dog cocking his head at me, and my audiobooks.

I'm sure there is at least one hamster who is super happy on that wheel.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

So far I just know that
    -- 30 minutes beforehand I need to eat something like a bowl of breakfast cereal or drink 8 oz of gatorade. Looking for that upbeat feeling.
    -- Start my treadmill slow, 2.5 mph for 5 minutes. Looking for body heat and the loose limb feeling.

If I am walking I usually listen to a good podcast. I am learning something new while getting in shape...double win:)

As far as running, I hate it too! I just look long term at what the results will be over time. Fitness, or really anything in life is like building a wall brick by brick, day by day. One step at a time, one run at time.

I am also super competitive, so I would time myself and race myself eachday to try and win the day before.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well I can't run anymore, but I walk... outside when it's nice out (I just make up stories in my head or whatnot to keep busy), but it's often too hot and humid or too cold so... at the gym they have Solitaire on the treadmill (I walk at an incline), so I just listen to my music and play. I did audiobooks for a while too, but I'm a visual person so it's hard to focus on them, but it works (plus it's a good motivation to keeps moving when you're in a good part). Bonus is that I burn much more calories in the same time on the treadmill obviously, as I walk at 7-8% incline (no holding) instead of maybe 2%.

For the food, nothing special. I had to be more careful and avoid oatmeal or other heavy foods before running, but now that I only walk, it's not an issue anymore.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me (like others), going outside, listening to music or podcasts, looking around, even if it's just different neighborhoods or a run I do often, and having goals to focus on, depending on the type of run. I love it.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

What's not to like!?

"What's not to like!?"

Definitely the mortgage payment for a tiny home nearby if I ever manage to have one. :)

But you are right. I LOVE being at the beach for whatever reason. Sadly my wife is very anti driving, anti minor inconvenience so we stopped going.

We rent ... and quite reasonably too. :) I live on an island with quite reasonable housing costs and beaches everywhere. That one is about 1 km from where we live so we walk down to the beach and along it 2 or 3 evenings each week. It's a nice relaxing 3 km walk in total.

I did run on the beach a couple times and may do more of that again come spring.

But we've also got a whole heap of hiking trails around too ... those are great places to walk as well. Scenic outlooks, waterfalls, etc. etc. :)

At lunch I go for walks in the city where I work. Some days I do errand walks, like today, for example, I will be walking up to the library to return a book. That's 1.5 km by itself, but I'll add some distance to it. Other days I just walk for exercise. I can walk along the foreshore out to the cenotaph which is in a park, and then up the cycleway or up into another park. Those walks are usually about 5 km.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I always walk or run outside.

I have my thoughts to amuse me, plus the great feeling exercise gives.

I also have my phone which has a great camera, and I've taken loads of pics of the many things I see.
  • lolabea
    lolabea Posts: 4 Member
    Options

So far I just know that
    -- 30 minutes beforehand I need to eat something like a bowl of breakfast cereal or drink 8 oz of gatorade. Looking for that upbeat feeling.

I have been a runner for over 20 +- years , running is as much of a practice as yoga is. I listen to music , and let my mind wonder . But the most important thing is, your attitude, and willingness to be a student at all times, and accepting the bad with the good days as part of being a runner.