addicted to sugar

Options
I need help any advise? I am definately addicted to sugar everyday I come in to work with good intentions and by 930 I get a can of coke then I will go on the eat chocolate, crisps, biscuits and more coke till lunch time :(

Replies

• valerieuk1708
    valerieuk1708 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi! Self-discipline is good when it comes to sugar :-) you can still have your favourite foods but try to cut them down so they fit within your calorie goal for the day. Iv noticed once I started eating healthy (more fruit, yogurt etc) I don't crave sweets like I used to.
  • laurenduffy1988
    laurenduffy1988 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    thank you I am goi ng to buy some blueberries to snack on when I am feeling I need it, I am not counting calories at the moment but trying to deal with binging issues and sugar is a real problem especially in the morning
  • pinkharmony1965
    pinkharmony1965 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in the boat..yesterday was better than the day before.. I'm weaning slowly ..decreasing daily
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    swap to diet soda to ease the cravings, there's no point going cold turkey, you'll only end up caving as you've found out. Swap sugary snacks for sugary fruits, strawberries, apples, bananas, whatever you enjoy eating. Or, if that's not good enough, have a small pot of chocolate dipping sauce to dip the fruit into, so you're reducing your unhealthy snack intake without feeling hard done by.. This can be done in other ways to, for example, having natural yogurt with a tablespoon of chocolate chips mixed in instead of having a chocolate bar or cookies, etc.
  • valerieuk1708
    Options
    I used to have those binge moments where I'd eat till I was sick (could go through so much stuff it was terrifying!)
    Self-discipline is hard but worth it. I stopped overeating and something just "clicked in" my stomach doesn't take lots of food anymore. It sends a signal "you are full" way before I can finish my meal.
    Iv done my research on sugar and I know that processed stuff (like chocolates, crisps etc) spike up your insulin so u feel good for the time then insulin levels drop right down and you feel horrible and you crave that stuff. It's like being a drug addict ... You go through highs and lows.
    When you eat less sugar and more of complex carbs along the side of fibre you don't let insulin go up and down, cravings disappear.

I couldn't watch others eat stuff in front of me without giving in and having it too. Now I can sit at work with an apple in my hand whilst my colleagues eat sweets, crisps, McDonald's etc. And I'm fine!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It takes time to kick the habit of eating too much sugar - sounds like you are reaching for handy snacks to fill you up? If you fill up on lots of protein/fat you wont feel hunger and be less inclined to crave sugary/empty calories imo.
    It takes discipline, patience and also the desire to cut back on the amount of sugary snacks you eat. Not that there's anything wrong with sugar, it just needs to be eaten in moderation.
  • laurenduffy1988
    Options
    Great tips thank you!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    google the sugar cycle, its to do with insulin, eat sugar, insulin deals with sugar in blood, body craves more sugar etc, once you start to resist it becomes easier. I know I am a REFORMED sugar addict. It can be done.
    In the old days, I would stop for petrol, couldnt decide which chocolate bar to buy, so I would buy 3 and eat them all on the way home!
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I need help any advise? I am definately addicted to sugar everyday I come in to work with good intentions and by 930 I get a can of coke then I will go on the eat chocolate, crisps, biscuits and more coke till lunch time :(

If this is happening every day, then you are dealing with an established behavior pattern. First I'd recommend evaluating what you are eating for breakfast. Is it sufficient to keep you full? You might want to experiment with different breakfasts to see if you can find something that works better than what you are currently eating. Think about macro ratios (protein, fat, carbs), volume of food, and number of calories.

My other suggestion is to accept this eating pattern and plan for a healthy snack at 9:30. One potential beverage to replace your morning can of Coke is sparkling water. La Croix is a brand of unsweetened flavored soda water that might appeal to you. Pair that with perhaps some Greek yogurt and berries or a couple of hard-boiled eggs, or maybe some cut up veggies with hummus. Take control of your desire to snack by planning to do so in a healthy and satisfying way.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    thank you I am goi ng to buy some blueberries to snack on when I am feeling I need it, I am not counting calories at the moment but trying to deal with binging issues and sugar is a real problem especially in the morning

I thought you said you were addicted to sugar????

blueberries have lots of sugar in them...

100grams of blueberries have 10grams of sugar...57 calories
    100grams of coke has 11grams of sugar...41 Calories

not sure I follow the logic here...
  • valerieuk1708
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Blueberries are better than coke nutrition wise, more fibre and different kind of sugar! Let's not compare!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What I found was a bigger issue for me was the habit of snacking lots at work (for stress reasons or the like). It really didn't matter what it was, although sweet things tended to be the most often available, breaking the habit of thinking I should eat if food appeared at work was. As I feel more contented eating 3 larger meals, I just broke the habit of snacking, which for me leads to mindless eating. It was a little uncomfortable at first -- I had to work at distracting myself and reminding myself there was no real reason I should be hungry -- but not too hard as I'd think of the next meal I was looking forward too. I also allowed myself to eat raw vegetables, although I soon stopped even wanting food between meals (and don't tend to think of it, since I don't snack).

If you do prefer eating lots of smaller meals (snacking), I'd bring planned snacks. My sister does this -- always has berries and nuts and yogurt. Make sure when you eat it's mindful and planned and you can appreciate what you are eating. I think lots of uncontrolled-feeling grazing behavior is due to an absence of this.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    While I would argue that sugar addiction is real, it doesn't matter that much. Based on the foods you listed, you seemingly aren't eating foods that are very filling. I would just concentrate on finding foods that fill you up more. Incorporate more veggies, fruits, whole grains/oats/quinoa, greek yogurt, meat, eggs, or even a protein shake/protein bar.

• laurenduffy1988
    Options
    exactly blueberries are of course better than coke thanks everyone
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Blueberries are better than coke nutrition wise, more fibre and different kind of sugar! Let's not compare!

I'm not sure what you mean by a different kind of sugar. If OP is simply looking to swap certain foods with sugar for other foods with sugar that contain more nutrients and fiber, this could be a good choice. But if sugar addiction is an actual concern, simply switching to different foods with sugar won't necessarily address that.

But if the blueberries help her meet her goals, she should still eat them. However, that indicates that her problem may not be an issue with sugar (which many people consume in the context of a diet that meets their nutritional needs), but instead a problem of regularly choosing calorie-rich foods that are crowding out the other nutrients that she needs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

but the question wasn't about nutrition...and our bodies treat all sugars the same...so the comparison is there for valid reasons.

But to the OP instead of blaming sugar blame the habit of snacking (@lemurcat12) mentions it above.

And since you know you like to snack bring planned snacks or eat a big breakfast...or chew gum...or mints (no sugar type) etc.

Sounds like you are eating because you are bored not because you think are addicted to sugar...oh and try drinking water..maybe with some flavoring in it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

It's behavioural so

1) take a can of diet coke / coke zero into the office with you = no sugar

2) where is the chocolate / crisps / biscuits coming from? If it's in your desk chuck it out, if you buy it don't take money, if colleagues give it to you ask them not to

3) take an alternative snack with you that you have pre-counted

4) don't eat anything without logging it - a day of logging all those calories and not being able to eat supper because of a chocolate bar will stop you in your tracks

5) stop being a victim, take control of what you're doing

6) if you feel the need for a snack - go for a walk round the office / go get a drink of water - anything but snack

7) tell yourself that there's no issue in feeling a little peckish - you've eaten so you're not starving

8) eat a higher protein / fat breakfast
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Guys, please do not turn this into a sugar debate. The semantics do not matter. The OP is looking to make smarter choices. If you cannot deal with that, then either go to the debate section or don't respond. We don't need another thread derailed for these pedantic arguments. It's literally does not matter.

All food addiction questions can be addressed in this thread.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    exactly blueberries are of course better than coke thanks everyone

Are you drinking regular or diet soda? I found that diet soda has helped me. I drink 2 a day. Some people actually have increased cravings though. So you have to see what you feel personally. For one though, I wouldn't waste calories on drinks, except for every once in awhile. They don't fill you up and don't provide too much nutrition.
  • shahidmirza234
    shahidmirza234 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i too have a same bad habit dear how to come out form it