Always Hungry

Options
I eat my 1200 calories a day and sometimes my exercise calories too but I always have that feeling that I'm hungry and I don't know why!

Replies

• carissaxoxo
    carissaxoxo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am like that too. I feel hungry every 2 hours...not sure why
  • sweebeesmom
    sweebeesmom Posts: 148
    Options
    This probably isn't the case for you, but it was for me.. I was feeling hungry all the time no matter what I ate (low level gnawing like I was hungry), and it turned out I had an ulcer.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I have found that sometimes that is the cause of my "hunger" pains.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I eat my 1200 calories a day and sometimes my exercise calories too but I always have that feeling that I'm hungry and I don't know why!

Well you should always eat your exercise calories, not just sometimes. Also, up the veggies in a serious way and decrease the processed foods. Really push veggies, when your hungry grab a few carrot sticks and a piece of fruit, most vegetables steamed are basically bonus calories (lots of food, very little calories).
  • cieraangel
    cieraangel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Treat your body like a spoiled child. You don't give into it every time it pitches a fit. If you're eating the recommended calories for your weight (or a little less so you can lose that 2lbs a week), then just tell your body no. Drink some water. Eat smaller meals more frequently. Make sure you're getting all the proper vitamins and minerals you need out of the foods you're eating. Make sure you're getting fiber. If I ate every time I was "hungry", I'd always be eating. Sometimes you just have to tell your body no.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    The hypothalmus (part of the brain) is responsible for hunger and thirst sensation. Sometimes when you think you're hungry, it's actually dehydration and some nice cold water can take care of it. If it you actually are hungry all the time, it's most likely your hormones affecting your hypothalmus (cortisol, ghrelin and leptin hormones). These hormones go through a lot of changes when you're on a diet. If you've been on your diet for awhile, the best thing you can probably do is take 2 days and eat extra. So if you're at 1200 calories, eat 1700 or so calories. (not counting exercise calories) You won't gain any permanent weight, maybe just a pound of water. This will settle your hormones that are telling you that you need to eat.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling that way too, especially at night. I eat 3 meals a day, water and sometimes snack. A lot of women my age have this issue when they are on their cycle but this also might be because of your hormones.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough protein (I personally think MFP's recommendation is too low). Also make sure you're getting 25g of fiber a day (another thing MFP doesn't correctly recommend). This will help a lot.

And drink, drink, drink your water! I have personally also found that by drinking more water (as of today I'm up to 13 cups/day) I'm more in tune with when what I'm feeling is actually hunger vs when it's REALLY just that I'm thirsty. I used to drink 1-2 cups of water a day...that was it....I was constantly dehydrated and my constant 'hunger pains' were probably actually my body screaming out for hydration!
  • johnsonjk
    johnsonjk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Okay you are just at the start. Here are some things I would try:

1) First of all eat all your exercise calories back.
    2) Search on the internet for good filling foods and pick the ones that you like and work for you.
    Try to make sure you have them frequently.
    3) Eat more at breakfast.
    4) The first month is the hardest -- just stick to it and it will be easier after a month.
    5) I would advise to try to lose only .5 lb per week (as long as that won't discourage you) for a couple of weeks. Take that time to figure out what foods make you feel full. Then when you hit the month mark you can cut down to the 1 lb per week level.
    6) Be patient if you have started exercising and trying to lose weight at the same time. You could flat line your weight loss by exercising. I started for 2.5 months first and then started to exercise. I then stopped losing weight for 3 weeks.
    7) Take your measurements now so you can realize even if you stop losing weight that you are losing inches.
    8) Keep it up.

Best of luck.
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had this complaint the first month too and now I feel full more it should get easier.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Eat full-fat cheese! (look it up if you're asking why anyone would recommend full-fat vs. fat-free)