Why am i so weak?

Options
ChaixDD
ChaixDD Posts: 15 Member
I'm an 18 year old male, i probably weigh about 230 pounds and i'm about 6'4 and i have been going to the gym for about 4 months and its pretty embarrasing to only bench with the bar alone, i probably can puy like a couple 5 weight plates but ill probably be able to 8 reps or so and i cant even do push ups, i have notices a bit of devolopment in my chest that i didnt have before like now i can flex them even though the fat that i have there kind of jiggles but in strength i havent notices any changes really. Is it my genetics or something and cant do anything about it? Can i do something to speed up the process? Thanks.

Replies

• dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I can't answer the question, but I can make some suggestions. Whole body movements. Can you squat? Body weight full squats. Can you get down in the floor and get back up for reps. On your face, on your back, crawl around. Make friends with moving your whole body around, it's a heavy weight. You can do it at home, frequently, not to exhaustion but as a tonic. Really. And if they have kettlebells, do kettlebell swings.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What program are you on?
  • ChaixDD
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    What program are you on?

Im on no program i just go to the gym and try to lower carbs and all kind of sugars.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Best way to build muscle would be to look at a weight lifting program that will take you through nutrition as well. Lower carbs might work if you're trying to lose weight or have a blood sugar issue. But the best way to gain muscle is to eat at maintenance or at a surplus (making sure to hit your protein macro) and follow whatever program you decide to do.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you need to have some training sessions to learn how to bench correctly. At your height and weight, unless you have some major physical issues, you should have plenty of muscle and strength, you just need to learn how to use it in the gym.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Find a proper lifting routine, eat in a small deficit to lose some fat
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    On a separate note, are you eating at a deficit at the moment? If so how large of a deficit, because improper nutrition definitely affects strength levels. But I do agree with @SonyaCele that at your height and weight you should be able to bench more than 45lbs, especially after 4 months of going to the gym.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,573 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'll be building a lot of strength if you try to do many reps. You get stronger by upping the weight and trying to lift it. Once you're able to do a handful of lifts you up the weight again. Give your muscles something to work with instead of boring them with many reps and light weights. You won't be able to run a marathon either if you walk a mile each day, or climb a mountain if you walk 3 flights of stairs each day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ChaixDD wrote: »
    What program are you on?

Im on no program i just go to the gym and try to lower carbs and all kind of sugars.

Get a programme and run it

google Stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength

eat properly
    - hit minimum protein and fat levels (0.65-0.8g protein / 0.35-0.4g fat per lb bodyweight as minimums)
    - eat to your calorie amount (you sound possibly a bit heavy to be running a bulk and as a beginner you will see some gains even at a small defecit)

you will be stronger than you are now in a few months and at least you'll be on the right path
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Until you develop the muscles maybe try using the machines rather than freeweights. It will give you a better feel for how the movement should be, provide support and still develop the muscles. Everyone has to start somewhere though so don't be so hard on yourself and talk to a trainer in the gym.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    GillianLF wrote: »
    Until you develop the muscles maybe try using the machines rather than freeweights. It will give you a better feel for how the movement should be, provide support and still develop the muscles. Everyone has to start somewhere though so don't be so hard on yourself and talk to a trainer in the gym.

Sorry but this isn't actually correct

I don't have an issue with machines per se - but in terms of how any movement should be machines do not really give you better anything than free weights as they have fixed tracks / range of movements and they don't engage as many muscle groups - it's not really support they are giving, it's just confidence and ease of use and isolation

but machines are definitely better than doing nothing :)

and talking to a good trainer for form is also good advice
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    it sounds like you need to have some training sessions to learn how to bench correctly. At your height and weight, unless you have some major physical issues, you should have plenty of muscle and strength, you just need to learn how to use it in the gym.

This plus (can't think how to put this diplomatically...) try harder, push to failure.

Not surprised you can't do a push up at your weight but at your age and size you should be lifting far more than that - even if you have awful technique.
    An 18 year old untrained male should be making really rapid progress in the gym. If you have general muscle weakness then a trip to the Doctor could be in order.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You didn't say, is your issue generalized weakness or just a specific lift? Can you squat? Can you get up and down from the floor? Can you pick up a 50 pound bag of rice and carry it around? It's an important set of questions.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I'm an 18 year old male, i probably weigh about 230 pounds and i'm about 6'4 and i have been going to the gym for about 4 months and its pretty embarrasing to only bench with the bar alone, i probably can puy like a couple 5 weight plates but ill probably be able to 8 reps or so and i cant even do push ups, i have notices a bit of devolopment in my chest that i didnt have before like now i can flex them even though the fat that i have there kind of jiggles but in strength i havent notices any changes really. Is it my genetics or something and cant do anything about it? Can i do something to speed up the process? Thanks.

Is it just bench press that you're weak in? It is probably an issue with your form - especially if you've been going for 4 months and haven't progressed past benching the bar. How many reps are you doing of just the bar?

As others have already mentioned, you should really be on a structured strength program like Strong Lifts. And if possible, try to have 1 or 2 sessions with a trainer to work on your form. Being 6'4" will make pretty much every compound list more difficult form-wise, so it would be helpful to have someone watch you in the beginning.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it is because you don't have a propper program to push you hard enough to do it. I'm willing to bet you can do a lot more than you think, and after 4 months you should have been able to lift more than 55lbs, starting strength is when you make your quickest gains. Serioulsy though if you don't want to find a program to follow, get a spotter that you know will push you, and try harder.
  • ChaixDD
    Options

Is it just bench press that you're weak in? It is probably an issue with your form - especially if you've been going for 4 months and haven't progressed past benching the bar. How many reps are you doing of just the bar?

As others have already mentioned, you should really be on a structured strength program like Strong Lifts. And if possible, try to have 1 or 2 sessions with a trainer to work on your form. Being 6'4" will make pretty much every compound list more difficult form-wise, so it would be helpful to have someone watch you in the beginning.
    I think my chest is probably the only one i havent made progress with yet, i have gotten my arms and back stronger and i think my legs are stronger too but yeah my chest is the only thing i struggle with
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What program are you on?

that is your problem right there..

get on a structured program like all pro beginner or strong lifts...and don't be afraid of carbs they give you energy for things like building strength on your lifts...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    GillianLF wrote: »

wrong ...

you can get strength gains without adding new muscle..