Weight Loss During Last 10-20 lbs

Options
So I've lost 58 lbs since July 2015, so almost a year. Up until about 3 months ago, my weight loss has been pretty linear/steady at 1-1.5 lb per week. The past 3 months, I've been working on losing my last 20 lbs (currently have 12 lbs to go). In looking at my 90-day weight loss progress on MFP, my weight stays steady for 2-4 weeks at a time then I get a whoosh-type loss of 2-3 lbs, rinse-repeat. Just curious if anyone else on their last 10-20 lbs experience this.

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight that you've already lost. That's awesome! But yeah, the last 10-15 is always the hardest to lose. I don't know why, but it is. I'm in the same position. You just have to make sure your being a lot tighter with your counting, you don't have as much room for error now that you did before. Keep at it, you're doing a fantastic job. You'll get there.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Congrats on the weight that you've already lost. That's awesome! But yeah, the last 10-15 is always the hardest to lose. I don't know why, but it is. I'm in the same position. You just have to make sure your being a lot tighter with your counting, you don't have as much room for error now that you did before. Keep at it, you're doing a fantastic job. You'll get there.

The last bit of weight is the hardest as there is less room for error and since you have fat reserves, you actually want to lose at a slower pace to ensure adequate nutrition, especially if you want to maintain muscle mass.

OP, the best course of action is to have a small to moderate deficit, adequate protein and be a bit more precise on counting calories (food scale + daily logging).
  • catlynnl
    catlynnl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is happening to me right now, with 10 lbs left. I'm static for 3 weeks, then the 4th week I lose 2-3 lbs. But I eat on-plan consistently. I figured it was hormones or the pill and some sort of related water retention, for me. It always makes me nervous, though, waiting to see if the loss will come.
  • cglouie
    cglouie Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I've been more strict with weighing and logging my food these past few months. After nearly a year of steady weight loss each week, the whooshes are messing with my head a bit. For weeks, until I whoosh, I keep thinking that I'm doing something wrong or I'm missing something with my eating because I'm not losing. Now that I've analyzed my progress chart and see what the pattern has been, hopefully it'll help me get over that.