Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Would a neg result lead many people to change their eating/moving ways?

Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    In answer to your title,I'm in the camp of prevention is better than cure. Probably off topic.. But it drives me nuts when i hear that oft repeated line of " Don't worry about >insert< unless you have a medical condition". Yaay lets wait until it's it's too late and we already have the medical issue before we do something about it.

Sorry, but I've read the above mentioned comment like 10 times this morning, and it's getting on my last nerve :mad:

If I don't have a medical reason to track my sugar (because I already track carbs) why would I track my sugar? <confused>

My point is, that the stock standard reply to people worrying about their excess intake of this or that is irresponsible.
    A newbie could come in posting worrying about their 150g+ of sugar or whatever per day, and they'll get that dont worry, medical condition reply every single time. How does anyone here know that their woe isnt going to cause a medical condition in the future?? Sure it may not and they could live a long, lucky and healthy life, or they could err on the side of caution and try a more moderate/healthy approach.

I know I'm rambling, I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, and I'm sick of reading that same reply over and over again..

Usually that's in the context of someone worrying about fruit consumption. There's no credible evidence that I'm aware of that high fruit consumption poses a risk. Someone with diabetes or IR still has a greater need to watch and balance carbs, but it's not true that eating fruit causes T2D. And, significantly, the recommendations for limiting added sugar base their reasoning on: (1) calories/obesity; (2) having a balanced diet; and (3) tooth decay. That's why I always say that unless you have a reason to worry about carbs more generally (i.e., balance carbs) OR are going over calories or not getting in enough protein, healthy fats, or vegetables, and if you have a diet that is filling for you, there's no reason to worry about fruit.

If there's some evidence I'm not aware of that eating fruit (or 50%-55% or so carbs, for that matter, as is pretty average) CAUSES a health condition in someone without it, I'd warn against it. This also is why I tend to suggest eating a healthful diet, plenty of vegetables, higher fiber/whole food carbs, so on (and why I watch sat fat some even though to date my cholesterol has always been excellent, even when I was fat), as well as being active if at all possible.

That answer gets tossed out for a lot more than fruit. And most posts don't go into details about balancing diet or anything else you posted above. Most just say "unless you have a medical condition you don't need to worry about it", end post.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    In answer to your title,I'm in the camp of prevention is better than cure. Probably off topic.. But it drives me nuts when i hear that oft repeated line of " Don't worry about >insert< unless you have a medical condition". Yaay lets wait until it's it's too late and we already have the medical issue before we do something about it.

Sorry, but I've read the above mentioned comment like 10 times this morning, and it's getting on my last nerve :mad:

If I don't have a medical reason to track my sugar (because I already track carbs) why would I track my sugar? <confused>

My point is, that the stock standard reply to people worrying about their excess intake of this or that is irresponsible.
    A newbie could come in posting worrying about their 150g+ of sugar or whatever per day, and they'll get that dont worry, medical condition reply every single time. How does anyone here know that their woe isnt going to cause a medical condition in the future?? Sure it may not and they could live a long, lucky and healthy life, or they could err on the side of caution and try a more moderate/healthy approach.

I know I'm rambling, I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, and I'm sick of reading that same reply over and over again..

Usually that's in the context of someone worrying about fruit consumption. There's no credible evidence that I'm aware of that high fruit consumption poses a risk. Someone with diabetes or IR still has a greater need to watch and balance carbs, but it's not true that eating fruit causes T2D. And, significantly, the recommendations for limiting added sugar base their reasoning on: (1) calories/obesity; (2) having a balanced diet; and (3) tooth decay. That's why I always say that unless you have a reason to worry about carbs more generally (i.e., balance carbs) OR are going over calories or not getting in enough protein, healthy fats, or vegetables, and if you have a diet that is filling for you, there's no reason to worry about fruit.

If there's some evidence I'm not aware of that eating fruit (or 50%-55% or so carbs, for that matter, as is pretty average) CAUSES a health condition in someone without it, I'd warn against it. This also is why I tend to suggest eating a healthful diet, plenty of vegetables, higher fiber/whole food carbs, so on (and why I watch sat fat some even though to date my cholesterol has always been excellent, even when I was fat), as well as being active if at all possible.

That answer gets tossed out for a lot more than fruit. And most posts don't go into details about balancing diet or anything else you posted above. Most just say "unless you have a medical condition you don't need to worry about it", end post.
    Yep. Sodium is another example.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Yep. Sodium is another example.

As someone who does say "unless you have medical issues with...", I say it because, for most people, eating more sugar or sodium or whatever isn't the cause of the medical problem. Curbing the consumption of said item (sugar, sodium, etc.) *may* help alleviate the medical symptoms, but not cure it. Using myself as an example, it doesn't matter how little sodium I consume, I will still and always have HBP. I didn't used to have HBP until the medical professionals changed the number range for what's considered "normal", "high normal", pre-hypertensive, and hypertensive.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I always talk about those things and see others in the same threads doing it, so I disagree.

I mostly see it in "worried about going over sugar, I get my sugar from fruit mostly" posts. I think it comes up in other questions about macros, though--"fat or carbs or protein too high, should I stop eating or get to my calorie goal"?