why do i LOOK fatter?

Options
the scale tells me i'm losing weight, my clothes show that my size is decreasing, so why do i look fatter? especially in my face & around my middle & everywhere, actually. i look bigger in photos, too.
what's up with that?

Replies

• a_q_u_a_lizard
    Options
    if the scale and the clothes say that your losing weight..stick with it. you might just think you look bigger because you are focusing more on your weight. thats what happend to me. when i started to lose weight, i didnt think that anything was changing, but that was because i was really analyzing the way i look which i never had really done before. i started to notice things about my body that i never had noticed before. to me the best indicator is the clothes feeling looser. and as for the pics...probibly just the angle. sometimes i look way heavier than i really am in pics. dont let this discourage you..just keep at it =) good luck!
  • goddessofmath
    goddessofmath Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Your body is shifting. Things are rearranging. I have had a few times where I felt like my stomach was BIGGER than ever for a few weeks at a time while I was losing weight, losing clothing sizes, and working my rear off, and it finally flattened (well didn't poke out as much). Just give it time. Keep doing what you're doing. :) It's a phase that will pass. Promise.
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    others see it because we look at ourselfs every day, clothes and the scale tell the real story
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    muscles. I have a rock hard stomach, but I look bigger than I am because I have a very strong core underneath it. When I wear tight shirts I don't look like one of those stick figure girls-- i look like a brick lol. I think I look bloated, but I'm sure I don't to everyone else. It's just muscle, and that is a GOOD thing because muscle BURNS calrories without you doing anything!!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The mind will play tricks on you. Keep moving forward and eventually you will be getting comments from people that you look thinner.
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    because skin is now sagging as before it was filled with fat. It'll tighten up as best it can depending on elasticity and age and how well it is taken care of it. It is one of the things most don't talk about, but it's not a bad sign. Just looks bad for now. Trust me I am going through the same thing all over my body. Kinda rough on the visual, but mentally you know you are doing right.
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had this same experience today. I take progress pictures twice a month and today's I look super fluffy compared to the one from 2 weeks ago. I lost 2 pounds since then, but I'm guess that currently I am holding water in that area. I would just give yourself a few weeks and it will likely even out again.
  • sierracanbe
    Options
    that makes sense, about the skin, muscles, & water weight.
    (along with the workouts i'm already doing) have you any good exercise advice on how to tighten up? thx so much!