I hate vegetables....and nearly anything else good for me-

Options
So I've started a million and a half healthy eating changes in my life and I just cannot function. I really don't like vegetables. Most meats don't make me feel good. But I LOVE BREAD. I will eat anything bread related. Doesn't matter if it's whole grain, white, wheat, has fruits or nuts anything. I just love it. So I'm trying to make this healthy change by limiting my carbs and eating fewer calories. Granted I'm 316 lbs and only 5'4". I've been overweight my whole life. I've gone through three or four really good bouts where I will lose 20-30 pounds. But it always ends up being my doughy downfall. I really don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Also, another sticker is that I will have meals planned out and snacks in between but I get SPLITTING headaches in between meals. No matter if I snack or not. I tried to eat higher protein as I was told it keeps you full longer but nothing seems to budge. I've taken 800mg ibuprofen and doesn't even make a dent. Has anyone experienced this before? I feel really lost and I desperately want to get rid of this weight.

Replies

• chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily need to limit carbs. Overall calories is more important. A couple product suggestions for you:

"Healthier" Bread:

http://www.foodforlife.com/about_us/ezekiel-49

For your high protein bread fix:

https://www.p28foods.com/baked-goods/p28-high-protein-bread

The headache thing is weird. Are you sure it is related?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Baby steps. Instead of trying an all out 180° change, why not try making incremental changes. Changes you can use to lose weight AND keep it off for good.

Measure & log the foods you currently eat. Figure out how many calories your current intake is. Look at the nutrition behind your current choices. Then find some suitable swaps. I like my bread too. Whole grain (generally) has more protein & fiber....more filling. So the same thing applies to whole grain pasta. I may be at the same calories.....but I "bought" more nutrition.

Eventually you will need to scale back on portion sizes. The nice thing about veggies is they can really stretch a serving size. I like to mix cauliflower (mild flavor) in my pasta dishes....bigger serving, fewer calories. It's a trade-off. Smaller portions forever, or learning to incorporate foods you may not love.

You don't have to "limit" your carbs unless you have medical issues. Even people on high carb diets can lose weight. You just need a smaller calorie intake.

Splitting headaches between meals.....are you cutting out caffeine? Very low carb and headaches? Up your sodium intake if it's low. Have you had your blood sugar checked?

Losing weight is just step 1. Step 2. Keeping the weight off; is a lifetime of making better choices.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Your headaches are most likely from the increased stress of trying to make too many changes at once. This isn't a race, you have to keep this up for the rest of your entire life. Make small changes and stick to them. Once you can live with those changes, keep adding more. And as chewyxrage said, carbs don't matter one bit for weight loss.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    As far as fixing your diet, try to take baby steps. Don't change everything all at once. First, start by just eating what you normally do, but weighing and tracking it. Identify your calorie bombs are and gradually figure out which ones you can live without or reduce. Start with other small goals like adding one serving of veggies per day or trying one new recipe per week. All this will add up and make it easier to stick with.

With the headaches, have you drastically reduced caffeine? Are you drinking plenty of water?
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Short of your headaches being a sign of something more serious, it could have to do with doing too many changes at once (as others have stated). Due to a Basillar-type migraines, I have to have regular doses of caffeine throughout the day. Even having some espresso beans or good dark chocolate on hand (I don't care for straight black coffee, and am trying to wean myself off of diet soda) may help curb those headaches.

Unless you need to cut down on carbs due to diabetes or another medical ailment, weight loss is about lowering calories, not about cutting out certain food groups. (Yes certain foods are better for you than others, but calories in - calories out is the key.)
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lowering your carbs will also lower your hydration. Try extra water and salt if you go the cutting carbs route. Dehydration will cause headaches in a heartbeat. As stated above just find a good calorie balance and eat whatever you want to get you started.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    The best diets are the ones that are sustainable long term or forever. For you this may mean to continue eating carbs, not restricting them, since that is what you really like. I like carbs also but what keeps me full and adhering to my calorie goals is protein. I like meat, but not enough to hit my protein goals daily. So I also eat other protein rich foods including greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, and beans.