Weight lifting and depression...how?

jarablue
jarablue Posts: 127 Member
I have suffered from depression since I was 19. I have tried anti depression medication before and didn't like the way it made me feel. How do you actually lift the weight when having to deal with this? Is it even possible?

Please, I'd love to know how you guys/girls do it. Thanks :)

Replies

• Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    jarablue wrote: »
    I have suffered from depression since I was 19. I have tried anti depression medication before and didn't like the way it made me feel. How do you actually lift the weight when having to deal with this? Is it even possible?

Please, I'd love to know how you guys/girls do it. Thanks :)

I have also suffered from depression and anxiety for about 13 years. I started using Ephedrine and it gives me the boost I need, I've actually lost 45 pounds and have a good amount of muscle. It does raise anxiety for the first couple weeks, but goes away.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    There are many different types of medication for depression and your doctor will not always nail it on the first try.

I would encourage you to continue to meet with your doctor or another mental health professional to see what you can do about attenuating the depression whether that's through a different medication, a different dose, lifestyle modifications, and/or a combination of those things.

As far as the exercise component goes the only sound advice I have is to do what you most enjoy and start there.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I honestly found that getting out and exercising helped with my depression.

I was not on "constant" meds tho so my situation could be different....

I lifted for 3 years and haven't use meds at all...
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    I have depression and take medication for it and I lift. It's been really awesome for my depression, I genuinely enjoy doing it and I love seeing and feeling my body getting stronger and being able to lift more and more. it's probably the best thing I've ever done for my mental health.
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    The best thing I have ever done for my depression was to start lifting weights and cardio. I couldn't afford the meds anyway. It took about two weeks of panic attacks before i actually got to the gym but once I got there it was way easier to go back. Good luck to you.
  • MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    I started when it was less heavy than usual, and lifting has been the single most effective anti-depressant I've tried.

It's difficult to start some days, especially when you fall deep into the hole. I've left myself little reminders in places I frequent when I'm depressed (places I write, etc) and that helps remind me that I feel better when I lift.
  • sueelaineparker
    sueelaineparker Posts: 51 Member
    I was on fluoxetine and there were some days that working out was not on my mind at all. Hubby has had to really persuade me at times. I do enjoy it though because it gives me something to focus on
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    As someone that also deals with extreme anxiety and depression, weight lifting does really help. Any form of exercise is benefitial until you can get your medications figured out.

However, just in the spirit of sharing what works or doesn't for me, I find that on days that my mood is very low, my lifts can go two ways. Sometimes I set PRs, but much of the time I have to deload. Do not feel alarmed if your mood causes you deload here and there. Obviously a symptom of depression is fatigue, so you don't want to "fight" the depression but trying to lift more than day and risk injury.

Good luck. Mental illness sucks.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Just go do it.
    There is no easy way. You have to let the long term goal of success be more important than how you feel. Depression sucks- I know- I get it. Lifting usually helps me- and I find NOT working out makes me depression really fierce.

Having the "shut up and just go do it" attitude will go a long way.

Just realize you may FEEL like you're the only one who is dealing with it- but you aren't- I know that's not helpful really- but thousands of people suffer from it- 1 in 4 are clinically depressed in their lifetime- so you really truly are not alone. I know that only gets so far but it's useful information.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Have you tried other workouts? Is there anything else that you look forward to? Sometimes I'm not feeling it on lifting day, but I go start anyway. I usually feel much better after. Have you tried taking niacin? It can help some people with depression...
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    I too struggle with depression and anxiety. I found that lifting is like meditation for me. Going to that dirty little gym and putting weight on the bar is like going to my happy place. I don't think of anything but my form, my breathing and the smell of chalk and gross feet. No bad feelings or thoughts touch me when I am lifting. Maybe try thinking of it like that.

Its hard to think about anything bad when you are tyring really hard not to drop weights on your face.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    You might also try different meds until you find that helps.
  • sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    You need to look up a lifter named Chad Aichs. That's how you do it.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    I'm suffering from depression as well and am prescribed Pristiq. I'm not sure how you can motivate yourself to get up and go (Because there will be some days where it gets extremely hard), but I just get up and put on my workout clothes. Once it's on and I'm out the door, I just believe there's no more stopping me since I'm already there. That, and lifting does make me feel more energized and happy after. I'm actually snapping less and can hold conversations without my mood shifting every 2 seconds haha

Take one step at a time.