Lack Motivation

Options
I have a membership at Planet Fitness that is going to waste. I can attend any PF but I don't go. Maybe if i hsd a partner that said meet me at 10 am, 1 pm, or even 3 am and we'll exercise together.

Replies

• rhiannonrees134
    rhiannonrees134 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do some research about motivation, it's a fickle friend. Self discipline is more important, don't wait until you want to do something, just do it anyway and make it a habit. There will always be more appealing alternatives to exercise! Put a time in your diary to work out and just do it, like it's a dental appointment!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Like rhiannon said, you can't rely on motivation, you must have discipline. You have to keep up healthy habits even when they're the furthest thing from your mind.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Exactly what the others said: you don't need motivation or even a workout partner; you need to create a habit. Having a workout partner is nice, but what if they fizzle out or get injured?

YOU are your best partner. You are the only person that can take of yourself. Don't wait around to feel motivated. You're just losing time. Just go to the gym, have a plan and do a workout. What's the worst that can happen?
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Pick a time and go. If that means right after work, or whatever. Don't go home and just sit around, or you are less likely to go. I get home from work, change, grab what I need and I'm out the door. No lying around, and no excuses.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Exactly what the others said: you don't need motivation or even a workout partner; you need to create a habit. Having a workout partner is nice, but what if they fizzle out or get injured?

YOU are your best partner. You are the only person that can take of yourself. Don't wait around to feel motivated. You're just losing time. Just go to the gym, have a plan and do a workout. What's the worst that can happen?

Yes! Most of the time when I set up workouts with others, it lasts like, one workout. They cancel, change plans or its such a hassle, that I learned to workout on my own. This way I can workout when I want/can, do whatever exercise and pace that I want (get bored easy, so I am always changing it up, even at the last moment). I have just learned to make my workouts "me time."
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There doesn't seem to be a question?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a membership at Planet Fitness that is going to waste. I can attend any PF but I don't go. Maybe if i hsd a partner that said meet me at 10 am, 1 pm, or even 3 am and we'll exercise together.

Or maybe if you just decided to suck it up and go you'd meet some workout partners there. If you don't fine, you are still there getting your stuff done.

Best of luck.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lots of excuses...
    Only one solution.

Action.

4qffd4i9lrt6.jpeg
  • mjennifer1990
    mjennifer1990 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is why I workout at home there is absolutely no excuse I can find that states why I cannot workout lol. I find if you remove the excuses and just go for it you will be able to workout and after doing it and setting a routine you will become so used to that routine of you divert you will feel oddm
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I exercise and reward myself for it. For example, I love video games. It's been a passion since I was a kid and I am into every kind you can imagine. I sometimes, like to sit for several hours and game. It's just what I enjoy. However, I won't allow myself to sit and game for an afternoon or evening until I've gone out and jogged 2-3+ miles for the day. So all I have to do is remind myself, if I want to game this evening, I'd better get my azz up and put in my 3 miles for the day. It works pretty well for me. Not to mention, I feel so much better about myself while I sit and play, knowing I went out and sweated out a good 3 mile run.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You have to take control of your destiny. (Guru-y, I know.) Everyone has that ideal person begging to get out. And nobody else can release your ideal so... Change your attitude. Be confident. And go get what you want. Get a mantra -- "release the tiger", "get your Batman on"...

And start moving your body at home. Put in at least 10 minutes. Then continue.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I really don't get people who are always asking for motivation, needing friends on here for motivation. I have a few people that I've accepted as friends, but frankly, don't pay attention to what they are doing, or really communicate with them. I'm not a "rah, rah, you can do it" kind of person. I'm more of a "just do it" person. You just make it part of your routine, and just do it. Eventually, it becomes 2nd nature and you miss it if you don't do it.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Not relying on others for your motivation is important, but so is just finding something active you enjoy. I feel like a lot of people try to force themselves to do workout routines they hate and then can't siphon the motivation to do it consistently. If you can find one thing you look forward to doing each day, that's a great start. Be it walking, dancing, skipping, hula hooping. Richard Simmons tapes (ya'll know he's fierce af), whatever - damn near anything can be a workout, lol.