Increased excercise stalled my weighloss!? Help

Options

Replies

• cwang125
    cwang125 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    cwang125 wrote: »
    Water retention after exercise does happen but it's not so pronounced that it would last for weeks at a time. It only lasts for 24-48 hours. It is more pronounced with strength training routines than with cardio alone. When muscle fibers experience microtears the body retains fluid and surrounds the muscle with fluid to protect it and to aid in repair.

There are other factors that are at play too. Women are more prone to water retention due to hormone fluctuations throughout their monthly cycle, especially after exercise. Taking hormones like birth control can also cause an increase in water retention.

Drinking more water and staying hydrated will help with water bloat. Seems counterintuitive but the more you drink the more you expend. Limiting sodium intake will also aid in reducing water retention.

Not so. I am currently retaining water from exercise nearly two weeks after taking a break. I've been at this a year with enough data to know this is the case. Everybody is different. My body likes to take its own sweet time letting go of retained water. Partially because I'm really slack with hydrating enough. So sweeping generalisations help no-one. It was also noted that she's doing a C25K type schedule, so the effort increases each week, leading to increased activity each week for a period, this would potentially cause a little new retention each week too. It should even itself out but it could easily account for a couple of weeks or so of masked losses.

You must defy basic human physiology then. If you haven't exercised in two weeks there is no way you are retaining water due to that particular activity. Muscle trauma induced water retention doesn't typically last more than a few days, which suggests other factors are present. Such as hormones, high sodium, insufficient hydration etc...

Furthermore, the effects of water retention is most pronounced during the initial onset of a new training routine. As the body becomes more accustomed to training, the effects of that training is reduced. Which is why people experience plateaus. That's not to say there isn't some fluid retention post aerobic activity, but seeing 0 change in weight loss when daily intake is kept at a constant deficit suggests that something is amiss. The energy equation doesn't match the results.

There are a multitude of factors that cause water retention. Chalking it up to running alone is a lazy explanation.

Translation: "I'm another condescending meat head who knows everything about the human body."

Our bodies don't all function exactly the same, especially women, who can sometimes experience complicating hormonal fluctuations.

Do you just like ignoring facts? Did you bother to read anything I wrote?

Also, you basically just said what I already said. What I already said previously:
    "There are other factors that are at play too. Women are more prone to water retention due to hormone fluctuations throughout their monthly cycle, especially after exercise. Taking hormones like birth control can also cause an increase in water retention."

"Muscle trauma induced water retention doesn't typically last more than a few days, which suggests other factors are present. Such as hormones, high sodium, insufficient hydration etc... "

The fact is, if somebody says they're doing a,b,c and expecting result x,y,z and they're not getting x,y,z then something isn't right.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Water retention after exercise does happen but it's not so pronounced that it would last for weeks at a time. It only lasts for 24-48 hours. It is more pronounced with strength training routines than with cardio alone. When muscle fibers experience microtears the body retains fluid and surrounds the muscle with fluid to protect it and to aid in repair.

There are other factors that are at play too. Women are more prone to water retention due to hormone fluctuations throughout their monthly cycle, especially after exercise. Taking hormones like birth control can also cause an increase in water retention.

Drinking more water and staying hydrated will help with water bloat. Seems counterintuitive but the more you drink the more you expend. Limiting sodium intake will also aid in reducing water retention.

Not so. I am currently retaining water from exercise nearly two weeks after taking a break. I've been at this a year with enough data to know this is the case. Everybody is different. My body likes to take its own sweet time letting go of retained water. Partially because I'm really slack with hydrating enough. So sweeping generalisations help no-one. It was also noted that she's doing a C25K type schedule, so the effort increases each week, leading to increased activity each week for a period, this would potentially cause a little new retention each week too. It should even itself out but it could easily account for a couple of weeks or so of masked losses.

You must defy basic human physiology then. If you haven't exercised in two weeks there is no way you are retaining water due to that particular activity. Muscle trauma induced water retention doesn't typically last more than a few days, which suggests other factors are present. Such as hormones, high sodium, insufficient hydration etc...

Furthermore, the effects of water retention is most pronounced during the initial onset of a new training routine. As the body becomes more accustomed to training, the effects of that training is reduced. Which is why people experience plateaus. That's not to say there isn't some fluid retention post aerobic activity, but seeing 0 change in weight loss when daily intake is kept at a constant deficit suggests that something is amiss. The energy equation doesn't match the results.

There are a multitude of factors that cause water retention. Chalking it up to running alone is a lazy explanation.

You've misread me. Started exercising again after a break. It has been two weeks since I restarted the exercise, not two weeks since I exercised.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but I don't understand how you can't build muscle while running. You are using muscles in your legs, core and arms to run. I get that it is not going to be the same as lifing, but could that explain no loss?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Water retention after exercise does happen but it's not so pronounced that it would last for weeks at a time. It only lasts for 24-48 hours.
    If she started what would be considered a "normal" newbie exercise routine (maybe 2-3x per week, with a day or two off in between sessions), she'd be clearing the water retention from the last session just in time for the next session to start up. It's not a "you retain water for 24-48 hours one time, after the very first exercise session, and then it goes away forever" kind of thing.

OP, just be patient and keep doing what you're doing. It's not unusual for it to take 3-4 weeks after starting an exercise routine for your body to adjust. Congratulations on starting to run, too! That's a really big deal, and you should be proud of yourself :)

• cwang125
    Options

You've misread me. Started exercising again after a break. It has been two weeks since I restarted the exercise, not two weeks since I exercised.

My mistake. Yeah, restarting an exercise regimen can certainly induce increased fluid retention. That is correct.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just curious, but I don't understand how you can't build muscle while running. You are using muscles in your legs, core and arms to run. I get that it is not going to be the same as lifing, but could that explain no loss?

You can build some while running, but it's not going to be a lot, certainly not enough in a week to offset a loss.

The bigger issue (and the problem with the "you are probably gaining muscle, it weighs more!) in threads like this, is that you are not going to gain mass on 1200-1300 calories, even if you are otherwise in optimal circumstances for muscle building (which a woman walking and running is not).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you won't build any appreciable mass in a calorie deficit...newbie gains maybe, but doubtful with only cardio as you need progressive overload, i.e. stimulus to create signals for new muscle growth.
  • cwang125
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you won't build any appreciable mass in a calorie deficit...newbie gains maybe, but doubtful with only cardio as you need progressive overload, i.e. stimulus to create signals for new muscle growth.

That, and long endurance runs tend to be be muscle wasting. Excessive cardio is also more likely to be more catabolic to muscle than anabolic. To preserve muscle she'd need to intake adequate protein and should supplement with a strength training routine.
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    No advice, just empathy and cheering you on! Way to go! I started a C25K 3 years ago, and now I can't stand to miss a week. I too struggled with what seemed like crazy fluctuations- still do. Staying the course has helped me progressively drop weight, feel better, drop two sizes, and I haven't been sick since I started.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    choppie70 wrote: »
    In weight loss, Diet plays 80% role and exercise plays 20% role.

Measure your intake strictly,

Say no to high glycemic index foods,

Also do strength training and cardio on alternate days.

The low glycemic index foods idea to help lose weight has been debunked.

Currently, research doesn't support low GI eating as a magic bullet for weight loss. It comes back to eating less, being more active, and consuming a healthy diet containing plenty of whole grains and other fiber containing foods (e.g., fruits and vegetables).

“The unexpected findings of the study suggest that the concept of glycemic index is less important than previously thought.”

Despite its popularity, eating more carbohydrate-rich foods with a low GI and fewer carbohydrate-rich foods with a high GI — without making any other change to your diet — actually has very little effect on weight loss.

You don't need whole grains. There is no such thing as a grain deficiency. And you want to avoid them entirely if you are pre-Type 2 diabetic, or are trying to reverse or place in remission Type 2 diabetes.

I was just quoting an article that I read. Also, I know quite a few people who are type 2 , or have pre diabetes who still have whole grains - they do not avoid them. Also, it does not imply that there is such a thing as a "grain deficiency".

Because they are getting bad advise. Whole grains spike blood sugar, just like white bread. Why would you want to eat food that spikes blood sugar if you are battling diabetes?
  • laurasprogress
    laurasprogress Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Apparently there is no way to unfollow a thread on here so I'll just be ignoring the notifications. Deuces.

You are so great! I'm sorry that you can't unfollow my post but I have thoroughly enjoyed your comments today. Applause applause. I drank my shake and ran my tail off this morning while some people were steadfast in saying I eat too much. That's ok. I know what I put in my mouth. My caloric goal set by mfp is 1300 after setting a new lower goal weight and reducing my weighloss to 1.5 pounds a week. I'm staying the course and couldn't give two poops what a couple people have to say to make me feel like I'm doing it all wrong. The 60 pounds I've lost so far have to say something for my efforts. I hope you have a beautiful afternoon
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Apparently there is no way to unfollow a thread on here so I'll just be ignoring the notifications. Deuces.

You can uncheck "Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in" under Notification Preferences, then bookmark threads you want to continue to follow by hitting the Star icon at the top right. I don't know of another way to unfollow a thread you've commented in.
  • KelBgess
    KelBgess Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Increase protein, decrease simple carbs and fat. Add HIIT to your cardio routine and do strength training 3-4 days a week.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm gonna share my experience over the last couple weeks which may give you some hope. I stopped losing weight about two weeks ago. And as of yesterday, the scale was up an additional four pounds. During this time I continued to weigh my food and stay within my calorie goals. I also added a more strenuous weight lifting routine and have gone through my time of month.

Today I got on the scale and voila I'm down 8 pounds. Which puts me not only where I probably should be but even an additional pound less than I expected. Hang in there, you might get a whoosh too!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    KelBgess wrote: »
    Increase protein, decrease simple carbs and fat. Add HIIT to your cardio routine and do strength training 3-4 days a week.

who does decreasing carbs have to do with it?
  • laurasprogress
    laurasprogress Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

You are so great! I'm sorry that you can't unfollow my post but I have thoroughly enjoyed your comments today. Applause applause. I drank my shake and ran my tail off this morning while some people were steadfast in saying I eat too much. That's ok. I know what I put in my mouth. My caloric goal set by mfp is 1300 after setting a new lower goal weight and reducing my weighloss to 1.5 pounds a week. I'm staying the course and couldn't give two poops what a couple people have to say to make me feel like I'm doing it all wrong. The 60 pounds I've lost so far have to say something for my efforts. I hope you have a beautiful afternoon

Actually, what was repeated over and over is that you are likely retaining water either due to your exercise, hormones, or some other factor. Two weeks isn't long enough to see what's going on. If you continue to not lose after another few weeks, then double check your logging (things like incorrect entries in the database can be killer for progress if you have a small deficit).

ETA: and congrats on your loss so far!

I appreciate the encouragement so much. It was the people who seem hell bent on bringing ya down that make for a bad day. In speaking with some others via message I am ashamed at the little amount of water I am drinking. I'm going to do better
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    No need to be ashamed about the fluid intake. It's good for your body to be well hydrated, outside of the weight loss factor. Think about doing things for health and not just weight loss. Long-term goals have helped me stay motivated.
  • wandajnevills
    wandajnevills Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »
    Do you measure your food intake using a food scale? tracking food in a diary here or elsewhere? Exercise is awesome, but if we're eating at maintenance calories or a surplus, we're not going to lose any weight.

True about eating less calories than we expend, but weighing food doesn't give us any idea of its caloric content. Green beans weigh a lot more than whipped cream, but it's the whipped cream that's going to pack in mass calories. In fact, the fattiest foods are the lightest by weight. Oils (fat) float to the surface of water because they're light. You'd have to eat 5 pounds of green beans to get the same amount of calories as virtually zero pounds of whipped cream.

I can't even with this. Oil doesn't float, it separates because it doesn't mix with water. Weighing foods tells you how much of that food you are eating and calories are calculated for the weight associated with those calories.

What are they teaching in schools these days!?

2 weeks when you've added new exercise isn't the time to worry. Especially given your height and weight and calorie goal, you're probably eating a little too little to hit needed nutrition needs (this won't stall weight loss but is detrimental to overall health).

LMAO "oil doesn't float." and I'm the one being ridiculed? Seriously, have you never actually seen oil and water together? :') obviously none of us know everything.
  • dragonrider6
    dragonrider6 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @laurasprogress are you eating back the excercise cals you lost?