Runners, I have a training question

Options
Ok runners. I am training for my third half marathon, but it is my first one in five years. My previous two half marathons I didn't keep to a schedule besides the long runs. This time I am trying to keep to a schedule. Yesterday I ran/walked 4.3 miles at a pace that was almost a minute and a half slower than normal. It was much hotter than I had anticipated and I didn't want to get overheated. I am only on my 2nd week of my training schedule, and today it says I am suppose to run 3 miles. The weather is at a more enjoyable temperature to run in. It is almost 15 degrees cooler than yesterday. If I ran 4.5 miles today will that be bad? I sometimes feel like 3 miles is too short. I have the want to run more but I don't want to injure myself or over do it. Saturday is my long run for the week. I am running 6 miles. I am not a fast runner, averaging a 10:10 min mile. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 2 of my HM training plan too and three of my 4 runs this week are only 3 miles so I understand the desire to run more.......in my case I'm coming back from an injury and forcing myself to stay on plan.

If you've been running relatively consistently over the past few months there's probably no harm in going a little longer than the plan calls for unless, combined with your long run, it represents a big jump in overall training volume (total mileage for the week). So the answer is.....maybe, depending on what your previous average volume was.

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be bad per say to run an extra 1.5 miles. I would just make sure you give yourself ample recovery time following it, if you're not accustom to the longer distances.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? Is the extra mileage overly burdensome? If you can cover the 4.5 miles without injury, do it. If, once you exceed 3 miles, it seems too much, walk the rest of the way. Then build up slowly.

SOME of us don't consider a 10:10 minute mile slow. I'm struggling to keep an 11:30 mile pace for my longs runs, now up to 9 miles. ;-)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Mostly stick with the plan but if this isn't a large increase from what you typically run per week then go right ahead. 1.5 miles extra isn't a big deal.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    If you feel good then sure!
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I felt really good running the whole way. I ran in town (small town) and there wasn't a lot of breeze so it got a little warm but not bad. Now to hydrate! Thanks for the input everyone!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yeah 10:10 training pace isn't slow!
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    When is your HM ? What plan are you following, if any? Whats is your longest run before you decided to do your HM ? Do you know what your HM course will be like (hilly,flat both)?