143 Calorie Left

Options
So I just discovered that after my breakfast, lunch and two snacks, I only have 143 calories left for dinner. :(

Here is my allotted breakdown of what I have left:

Calories:143
Carbs:-13
Fat: 5
Protein: 25
Sodium: 1078
Sugar: 13

What would you eat for dinner?

My downfall was having 1 cup of Grape Nuts cereal for breakfast, that alone was 420 calories.

*sigh*

Replies

• kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    What's our deficit? I would eat into my deficit and have a salad with a very tiny amount of dressing and some protein with it. And not worry about the lower deficit that day.
  • lilcharmer214
    lilcharmer214 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Have a big salad with some lean protein. You'll end up over, but not by as much as giving up and ordering a pizza. Learn from today, and do it different next time. Good luck!

Yeah. Like no more Grape Nuts!

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So I just discovered that after my breakfast, lunch and two snacks, I only have 143 calories left for dinner. :(

Here is my allotted breakdown of what I have left:

Calories:143
    Carbs:-13
    Fat: 5
    Protein: 25
    Sodium: 1078
    Sugar: 13

What would you eat for dinner?

My downfall was having 1 cup of Grape Nuts cereal for breakfast, that alone was 420 calories.

*sigh*

I gave up cereal for breakfast; it's just not filling enough for me.

And I agree with eating something filling but low calorie (salad with chicken, egg white omelet with lots of veggies, etc) for dinner. It's ok to be over for the day, but learn from this. I try pre-logging days so I know what I have to work with for dinner or I can adjust if I'm low on protein or whatever for the day.
  • lilcharmer214
    Options
    kirstenb13 wrote: »
    What's our deficit? I would eat into my deficit and have a salad with a very tiny amount of dressing and some protein with it. And not worry about the lower deficit that day.

Yeah I think my best bet is a salad with minimal dressing. Ugh! I thought I was doing fine today. Oh well.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Have a big salad with some lean protein. You'll end up over, but not by as much as giving up and ordering a pizza. Learn from today, and do it different next time. Good luck!

Yeah. Like no more Grape Nuts!

I personally do better with a breakfast that has protein, usually Greek yogurt with fruit mixed in.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Yeah I think my best bet is a salad with minimal dressing. Ugh! I thought I was doing fine today. Oh well.

Don't beat yourself up over this, it doesn't matter in the long run. Use it to learn from it and improve in the future, but just by being aware of it you are doing more than probably >95% of people.
  • lilcharmer214
    Options

I personally do better with a breakfast that has protein, usually Greek yogurt with fruit mixed in.[/quote]

Yeah that is usually my go-to but I was trying something different.

And I'm out of yogurt!

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk to "earn" a few more calories, or go over today but stay a bit under tomorrow. What is your calorie goal?
  • lilcharmer214
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Go for a walk to "earn" a few more calories, or go over today but stay a bit under tomorrow. What is your calorie goal?

Yeah not a bad idea. If I had of known, I would have walked during my lunch break.

My calorie goal is 1200.

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    shrimp
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Why is your calorie goal so low? Unless you are pretty short and small, you can generally afford to eat more while still losing weight.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    exercise to get more calories.

egg white omelette! you can do a nice sized one for 150 cal.
  • lilcharmer214
    Options
    shrimp

You just reminded me I do have fresh shrimp to cook!!!
  • lilcharmer214
    Options
    Why is your calorie goal so low? Unless you are pretty short and small, you can generally afford to eat more while still losing weight.

I'm 5'1, started at 140 lbs. Not sure how small that is.

• cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Don't know how much a cup of anything is, i weigh all my food by grams, far more accurate.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a walk, or hit the gym, do something to earn more calories.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Although, I rarely leave that little for dinner, if I do have a small amount left, I just go jog for two or three miles. Takes me about a half hour and I can usually earn back anywhere from 300 to 500 calories. Obviously that's an estimate but then I'm usually not going over and if I do go over, it's not by much.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I'm 5'1, started at 140 lbs. Not sure how small that is.

Not sure how much weight you are trying to lose but 1 lb/week is probably the most aggressive goal you should choose. You should also be eating back some exercise calories if you aren't already.

Lastly, a lot of people find that prelogging their meals help avoid exactly the situation you ran into. Putting in the grape nuts ahead of time, along with what you plan to eat for lunch and dinner, would let you know that you were going to run out of calories so you could make different choices (don't eat the cereal, go for a walk at lunch time, etc).

No biggie, it's a lesson many of us learn. It's also good to check calorie estimates of restaurants before you get there and are faced with a menu of yummy choices, you select something you think will have reasonable calories, get home and log it and realize you were way off...
  • dr_soda
    dr_soda Posts: 57 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It might put you about 100 over for the day, but 1 cup (227g) of cottage cheese, along with some carrots and celery is highly satisfying. Adding a leafy salad could help fill the meal out and add only a few calories on top.

If you go dry curd, that is almost entirely protein, and your protein goal is where you've got the most play right now.