Just moved and I'm completely lost!

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the site but I'm also new to the area I just moved into! I moved from South Carolina to Mount Vernon, NY and I'm completely lost! At the moment, I can't join a gym due to financial reasons and I'm so scared to go out and walk around because I'm afraid I won't know how to get back home! I've been in New York for 2 weeks now and I haven't been able to get much exercise in simply because I don't really know what I can do inside without jumping around all over the place. The city is SO much different than the South and I'm having a big culture shock! I'm in an exercise rut! Any suggestions?

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I grew up about 20 minutes from Mount Vernon. Depending on where you live in it, it's a pretty rough place, so I definitely wouldn't recommend wandering around, especially at night. Try to see what you can do from home. Remember, your body is your best tool for exercising. There's a lot you can do without anywhere to go or any equipment. Try to find an exercise video or two you like. Netflix has a lot of them on instant streaming if you have that. If not, look up online for exercises you can do from home. You'll be surprised to what you'll find.
  • XxBri22xX
    XxBri22xX Posts: 183
    Options
    Do you live in a neighborhood? If you do, just walk around there. I'm sure you won't get lost! Slowly start walking and then work your way up to jogging and then running. Do you have a wii? You can get plenty of exercise using that! Or just look up some ab exercises online. You can do those on your floor at home. Maybe go by some weights and lift a little? You don't need a gym to get a good workout. I personally think gyms are overrated. I never go to the gym and I get plenty of exercises by playing sports and running and walking by the river.
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Well, this is certainly a safe place to spend some time. There are a lot of great people here. We'll be your friends until you feel more comfortable venturing out there. What brought you to NY?
  • KathyWel
    KathyWel Posts: 140
    Options
    Could try Zumba more dancing than exercising and you burn a LOT of calories.
  • Fatsau
    Fatsau Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi Miss,
    just start small, walk around the block! Walk a little further every day. If you go a smart ohone they usually have maps in them, or buy a street map.
    If you get compleatly lost grap a taxi to take you home. You'll be fine!!!!
    For the inside activity exercise DVDs are always good...

Cheers Kerstin
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    When I moved to Asheville NC, a much bigger place than my previous town, I got a local map and posted it by my door so I could check it every time I went out. Eventually I got familiar enough with the place that I could say, oh hey, I'm lost, but I've been lost here before!

Your library will have lots of exercise DVDs.

There may be a walking club in your area.

Local parks? I've never been to Mount Vernon, but I went through serious culture shock when I moved to Brooklyn from the West Coast of Florida. Best of luck to you!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    What about doing bodyrock.tv?
  • im_victoria_duhh
    Options
    I was just looking at that! I use to do bodyrock two years ago when I was a senior in high school but when I gained all of my weight due to medication, seeing Zuzana's workouts are SO intimidating! But I may have to surrender and at least give it a try!
  • im_victoria_duhh
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your responses! I think I have an exercise DVD by Jillian Michaels. I think it's the 30 Day Shred thing so I'm going to try that out as well. I moved to New York because my "husband" is in the military and he's stationed in New York and recommended that I come here so that we could try to "fix things" but when I got here, I found out that he no longer wants to fix things so I'm sorta stuck here alone for the moment. I don't have time to be sad and all of that, so I'm trying to channel that energy into exercising or something productive. I will definitely keep all of the tips you all have told me in mind!