Low carb advice

Options
2»

Replies

• BAFCH
    BAFCH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you find that the easiest way for you to cut caloric intake is by cutting carbs, then have at it. If not, it's just going to cause you problems, and you would be better suited to just looking at a more balanced approach. Keto works for me, because in general, I can't stand starches and sugars (except rice...bah!)

Thank you! The advice here has shown me exactly where I'm going wrong!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy carbs, keep on enjoying them. To lose weight all you need is to be in calorie deficit.
    The thing you have to ask yourself: is what I eat while losing weight sustainable? If the answer is no, then you need to find what works for you that will be sustainable.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think aiming for those macro splits is fair enough - just focus on your protein and fat and reaching minimums and let carbs fall where they will

with an overall eye on calories and your defecit you will develop a way of eating that becomes easy

forcing a low carb approach (which 40% C isn't) when you actively dislike it is going to result in crash and burn

there's nothing wrong with low carb - it works for some - but it's not a requirement

(re minimums up there - set your protein at 0.65 - 08g and fat at 0.35 to 0.4g per lb bodyweight and hit those at the least)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to lower your carbs, you need to have moderate protein (more meats (especially fatty cuts) and fish) and fats (full fat dairy, hard cheeses, nuts/legumes, oils, etc..), and should get a large portion of your carbs from dark leafy greens or low sugar veggies and low gi fruits. You also will need to increase sodium, potassium and magnesium to help maintain a balance of electrolytes. And be sure to check out the low carb group for more specialty advice.

What most people haven't realized, at 40%, you are on the very top end of low carb (140g) so if you want, you can reduce it by another 30-60g depending on preference.

But like many said, you still need to keep control of calories since that determines fat loss.
  • BAFCH
    BAFCH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    If you want to lower your carbs, you need to have moderate protein (more meats (especially fatty cuts) and fish) and fats (full fat dairy, hard cheeses, nuts/legumes, oils, etc..), and should get a large portion of your carbs from dark leafy greens or low sugar veggies and low gi fruits. You also will need to increase sodium, potassium and magnesium to help maintain a balance of electrolytes. And be sure to check out the low carb group for more specialty advice.

What most people haven't realized, at 40%, you are on the very top end of low carb (140g) so if you want, you can reduce it by another 30-60g depending on preference.

But like many said, you still need to keep control of calories since that determines fat loss.

Thank you, that is very helpful. :)
  • ChristyMorris0514
    ChristyMorris0514 Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My dad was a diabetic. The doctor told him He needed a low carb diet as for when we found out he was about to go into a diabetic coma. He has stuck with low carb and has done wonderful with it! He was on a shot and two pills a day and kept moving down until the doctor told him just one pill a day! Now he is completely off of the medicine and is still doing amazing and watching his carbs. He is staying on the low carb diet so he can stay off of the medicine and it is really much healthier for him! The doctor told him it's really not the sugars that you are watching so much, it's the carbs. My dad says you can have 30 carbs a meal. I am going to ask him more about low carb so he can help me :)
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    To OP (BAFCH): Get a copy of Dr. David Ludwig's book "Always Hungry?". Read it. Read it all. Understand what "Low Carb" really means. Eat Well. Lose Weight. Be Happy.
  • oxkateox
    oxkateox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to make a positive change! I am 5'10 and 230 pounds. I have been counting calories as well as carbs. My calorie goal is 1700 and carbs are limited to 106 daily. I choose to do low-carb because I feel better when I do.

My diary is open if you want to see what I eat. I have cut fast food completely in June, but still go to restaurants occasionally. I also cook a lot so I know I have healthy, low-carb options.

Feel free to private message me if you want to chat!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Perhaps pre log your foods?

Buying smaller potatoes might help too. Maybe individual snack sized packages of chips?

BTW, low carb is generally thought to be fewer than 100g-150g per day. Some of us go much lower than that.

Good luck.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

This ^^^^!! Come by, check it out and say hello...it's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out.
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily need to reduce your carbs if you're staying within your calorie goal. If you like potatoes, then any diet that doesnt include potatoes is going to be pretty miserable.

But if you want to eat fewer carbs anyway, why not just cut out one of your two daily potatoes? Seems pretty easy. Replace it with something that fits in your goals and has more fat and fewer carbs: veggies, nuts, lentils, dairy you can tolerate, dessert, whatever.