What's a good tracker?

Options
mpd1009
mpd1009 Posts: 31 Member
I'm thinking about getting a fit bit. I'm not sure which one to get though. Does anybody have any suggestions? Also does it make a difference with trying to lose weight?

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    As far as losing weight? Not exactly. What it does do is remind you to keep active. Weight lost comes from a Calorie deficit. The more active you are, the more calories you burn. That's where Fitness trackers come in handy.

Personally I use the Garmin VivoSmart HR. And as far as Fitbit goes it just depends on what you want. The Alta and Blaze seem to be the two big ones.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Are you just trying to count steps and such or do you want something for running as well?
  • mpd1009
    Options
    Probably running eventually. I just started a week ago on my treadmill. So I have some building up to do. I walk and then run as long as I can then walk again on it.
  • bshedwick
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivoactive HR. I really like having the GPS for running and biking. Its nice to have the wrist based heart rate to give you an accurate picture of how hard you are working.

I picked mine because I wanted to swim more, and this one tracks swim laps.

Whats your price range?
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit HR, it motivates me, pushes me, and the fitbit challenges are a great way to stay accountable to others as well. I am a HUGE fan!
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    mpd1009 wrote: »
    Probably running eventually. I just started a week ago on my treadmill. So I have some building up to do. I walk and then run as long as I can then walk again on it.

Being that you're looking into running I would look into the VivoSmart HR+. All day Heart Rate Monitor. All day Step Tracking. Sleep Tracking. Move Reminder. And it'll pull all of your notifications from your phone to your wrist. Plus it has a GPS so you can log pace, speed, location and more. Garmin Connect will sync with MFP so you can track your calories burned.

Fitbits do not have GPS built in. The newer ones have Assisted GPS where it pulls the GPS data from the phone, meaning you have to have the phone near the fitness band. The VivoSmart HR has a GPS built in, so you can leave your phone at home if you want.....
  • bshedwick
    Options
    Very good point. I like that my Garmin has GPS built in.
  • mpd1009
    Options
    I don't want to invest a whole lot since I'm just starting. Maybe around 100 or so.. also depends on the functions it has.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    I don't want to invest a whole lot since I'm just starting. Maybe around 100 or so.. also depends on the functions it has.

At that price range, your not going to get one with a built-in gps module.

I would recommend the Flex if you like the Fitbit app ecosystem, or the Vivofit 3 if you like the garmin ecosystem. You'd have to YouTube search reviews on the apps to see which you think you would like more.
  • mpd1009
    Options
    I know I shouldn't think like this but I'm scared to make an investment on something that I might not stick with. I've failed many times before sticking with diets and exercise.
  • bshedwick
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I know I shouldn't think like this but I'm scared to make an investment on something that I might not stick with. I've failed many times before sticking with diets and exercise.

Check out RizKnows on youtube. He has some good reviews on these type of trackers
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    bshedwick wrote: »

Check out RizKnows on youtube. He has some good reviews on these type of trackers

He's the reason I stick with garmin... Nothing but positive things about their line.
  • mpd1009
    Options
    Thanks !!
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've rocking the vivofit2. I love that the battery lasts a full year and you can wear it swimming. Awesome.