Help --- I don't like fruit!

Options
kazielynn
kazielynn Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
When I was a little kid I used to eat apples and bananas all the time, then one day I just stopped liking them. Now I'm 22 and do not like eating fruit. I am fine with fruit flavored things, but i don't like actual fruit. The main issue is I do not like the juiciness of them. Like, I can't stand it. I'm also not a fan of seeds (like with strawberries). What can I do to either train myself to like them, or get over my disgust of the juiciness of fruits?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    If you don;t like them, you don;t have to eat them. Whilst packing a significant vitamin punch, fruit is not essential for weight loss or even a "healthy" diet*.

Having said that, Juicing may be an option to get some fruit or adding some fruit to baked goods?

*but you may need to be more vigilant in getting a good variety of vegetables.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a very wide variety of fruits?
    The juicyness varies quite significantly. Also, as the poster above says, you don't need to eat fruit if you don't like it.
    If it's the sticky fingers etc you don't like, maybe try cutting them into chunks before eating with a spoon? My everyday breakfast is drained yoghurt with cut on bits of fruit mixed in (with a toasted nut muesli on top), so the juice is masked by the creamyness of the yoghurt.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit (including freeze dried) would contain most (maybe even all) of the vitamins and minerals of the original fruit.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Eat veggies instead.

Or, as suggested above, look at options like including them in smoothies, porridge, baking (I had delicious banana zucchini muffins for morning tea today), roast them, stew them, turn them into puree or sauce.

Dried fruit is not a bad idea, but you need to very careful with tracking the quantity as they are so concentrated.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Dont eat them.

eat more veg, or take a multi vitamin
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. Just give them to me :D
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you don't like fruits, don't eat them.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Fruit is not essential to losing weight. If you want to try though then you can go with dehydrated fruit (but do it yourself or check the label because a lot of pre-packaged stuff has added crap that you don't need) or you can make smoothies or cook with fruit. For example, if you like blueberry yogurt, make a blueberry compote and mix it in with plain yogurt to make your own. It's super easy. Or apple chips. Also super easy.
  • PhatLass72
    PhatLass72 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I'm double your age! I have a banana allergy, and I think that in my head as a kid I worried that all fruit would give me the same reaction so I stopped eating it. People think it's crazy that you can't bring yourself to eat it and the sheer smell can make you feel ill. I constantly get asked, why don't you try this, why don't you try that and it does my nut in!

But recently, out of the blue, I tried fresh pomegranate seeds. I was amazed to find that I enjoyed them and because I'm no biting into something that's filled with juice, it's not as hard to do. I can't eat loads at once, but I can eat some and I like them! From this, I started experimenting with our Nutri Ninja and making an occasional fruit slushy (just things like raspberries, blueberries and ice) and found these okay too. It's a massive step for me, and I still struggle, but I'm stupidly proud of the fact that at least I am getting braver.

Like others have said, you don't need to eat fruit - veg and vitamins are okay - but trying to introduce something could give you a much needed variation in the future. Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So long as you eat vegetables and a healthful diet overall, no need to eat fruit. I'd try a variety to see what you might like (they don't all have seeds that you eat and aren't all especially juicy), but that's only because I really like them. They aren't essential.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    kazielynn wrote: »
    When I was a little kid I used to eat apples and bananas all the time, then one day I just stopped liking them. Now I'm 22 and do not like eating fruit. I am fine with fruit flavored things, but i don't like actual fruit. The main issue is I do not like the juiciness of them. Like, I can't stand it. I'm also not a fan of seeds (like with strawberries). What can I do to either train myself to like them, or get over my disgust of the juiciness of fruits?

If you really want to eat fruit then I'd suggest dried fruits since the juiciness has been removed. But you don't need fruit to have a healthy diet.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Mix fruits into muffins or smoothies. Try a fruit sorbet. Try dry fruit or fruit leather. You don't have to eat them raw and plain.
    If you really don't like fruit don't eat it. Eat other foods.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that dried fruit should work for you. I like dried apricots, raisins, dates, and currants. Watch portions, as you need a lot less volume for the same calorie punch. I prefer vegetables over fruit, too. I take a supplemental vitamin C chewy with my iron every morning.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Go with veggies. They have great nutrition and a lot less sugar. Fruit is not needed for health. At all.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So don't eat them?
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Smoothies.

I have an issue with texture (stringy, mushy) so blending allows me to enjoy the flavor of fruits, which you said you like.

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating a lot of fruit due to textures. Try making a smoothie. I don't like eating plain blueberries but I'll drink a blue berry smoothie
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    So don't eat them?

wat
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    if u dont like fruit dont eat it. Never understood the force yourself to eat food you dont like. Mushrooms are nutritious but id rather starve then eat them. if you are worried about nutrition take a multivitamin and eat more veggies. Fruit is pretty juicy across the board, its ok if you dont like it you can find the nutrition elsewhere.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A main feature and part of the appeal of fruit is its juiciness, so if you hate fruit for its juiciness, it seems that you just don't like fruit. You don't need to eat fruit if you don't want to. You can get all the nutrition that fruit has to offer, by eating a wide variety of vegetables instead.