LEMON WATER (hot water with lemon juice in it ) is it bad??

Options
:wink: Hi guys :) million hugs :)
Well I have been following the 17 day diet and have a HUGE question about the Lemon water we drink in the am on a empty stomach...well my co workers have advised me NOT to drink the water in the am and especially on a empty stomach : / ? I dont know why its considered bad ..but they said it causes ULCER,THINNING OF THE LINNING OF THE STOMACH AND THINNING OF YOUR BLOOD ...ok I know it sounds weird or like BS but I am actually alittle worried can u guys let me know if this might be true>> I wanna be thin and healthy not thin and BLEEDING enternally hahahaha!

Replies

• odie02
    odie02 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    well, water, empty stomach or not, is not bad for you. Our bodies are mostly water to begin with and we should be drinking it often throughout the day. Adding lemon adds flavor. Of course, citrus is acidic, so maybe that is what people are worrying about??

I would not recommend lots of any citrus, coffee, or any other acidic beverage in large quantities on an empty stomach. Especially if you have any problems of any kind with acid reflux/GERD because it can cause erosion of the esophagus and stomach lining. I don't know how much lemon you add to the water, and I do not know how long it is before you eat, so I can't add any further help. I also do not know anything about this 17 day diet you are talking about.
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I'm following the 17 dd too and unless your co worker is a doctor, I wouldn't listen to her advice. The author of the book who suggests drinking the lemon water is in fact a real doctor. unless she has some evidence to support her reasons, I think you should continue to drink it. I have drink the lemon water almost everyday for 6 weeks and I have not had any stomach pains yet. Google it or look for something on webmd, I personally think that its fine.
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    its 8oz of water and about half a lemon ....thank u for replying!
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    its not a large quantity, its only a half of squeezed lemon, although I do see your point, odie. you can eat practically right after you drink the lemon water. it is just to be consumed first thing in the morning as soon as you wake up.
  • DeadlyDame13
    Options
    @team> yes Ive been ok with it than one day walked into work drinking it and they all jumped me!!!! scaryin me with "the thinned blood" stories ..... geeze hahah
  • DeadlyDame13
    Options
    so should I drink it and eat right away after I drank it?? : / or can i wait till Im hungry?
  • smilingmakesyouhappy
    Options
    That is the only way I drink enough water! I also put in a cinnamon stick in it!
  • OliveLucas
    OliveLucas Posts: 84
    Options
    i don't have any problem with warm lemon water 1st thing in the monring... i can't remember where I read it, but it's for for liver detox.
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    so should I drink it and eat right away after I drank it?? : / or can i wait till Im hungry?

you could wait, but usually I am hungry within 20 minutes after drinking it. I left a few sites and info on the 17 DD board too!
  • DeadlyDame13
    Options
    THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSS A MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ***hugging all of u**** YES ! I usually drink it while I get ready for work and right before I leave I have my yogurt and Fruit in the am ...
  • spareparts79
    spareparts79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    One of the first things I do when I get up is drink a glass of cold water. This is suppose to jump start your metabolism as your body burns energy to raise your core temp back up to normal. It seems to work for me, if it is just in my head or if it is really happening is open to opinion I guess. Long story short I have been drinking water in the morning on an empty stomach every morning for 3 months with no problems.
  • Febes24
    Febes24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Im not on the 17 day diet but my mother a registered nurse said as long as you dont overdue the amount of lemon you put in the water then your good. Half a lemon does not have enough acid to thin your blood or cause ulcers.
  • odie02
    Options
    half a lemon's worth of juice in water in the morning should be no problem. The only time it would be a problem is with acid reflux/GERD, as I mentioned before...unfortunately people with serious issues with that can hardly have any acid.

You have nothing to worry about. You eat relatively soon after anyway...and it is yogurt, which would counteract the acid too.

Not a Dr., but several classes in nutrition and a nursing student.... tell those who say anything about blood thinning that they are quite mistaken...it isn't going to thin the blood :)
  • DeadlyDame13
    Options
    @spareparts ...ya I will continue to drink it i felt like it helped with (potty moments) so I felt good drinking it
  • DeadlyDame13
    Options
    @ffacho oh good!!!! hahaha didnt want to "bleed to death "
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Considering that the acid in your stomach is stronger than lemon juice, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, most ulcers are caused by the H-Pylori bacteria so just don't start drinking that and you won't get ulcers.
  • odie02
    Options
    Considering that the acid in your stomach is stronger than lemon juice, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, most ulcers are caused by the H-Pylori bacteria so just don't start drinking that and you won't get ulcers.

Both things you stated are quite true.... but, if a person has any issue with GERD/acid reflux, then it does matter tremendously. I assume the OP doesn't have this problem, and therefore is fine. And, even a person without those problems could still have issues if they drink a lot of acidic beverages or eat a lot of acidic foods (tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, etc). Our stomach acid may be stronger, but it does not normally go up into the digestive track....those acidic foods do and cause erosion of the lining...

I only warn people of this because I know a few people who have this problem and watching them suffer is not fun. While it may not pertain directly to the OP, others reading the thread may find it helpful to know.
  • fozziewaca
    fozziewaca Posts: 66
    Options
    Ha! We have the same morning food routine!

I drink hot lemon water first thing in the morning i(t helps me get things moving [in more than one way]) followed by yogurt and fruit when I get hungry. There's always someone somewhere who will tell you that you're doing something wrong. But if it makes you feel good, and if you're body is not sending out protest signals, then :drinker:
  • DeadlyDame13
    Options
    Thank u all! :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking a glass of hot water with a wedge of lemon for years and never had a problem. It is recommended in chinese medicine and elsewhere

Just remember to get unwaxed or organic lemons - else you will get a mouthful of some nasty stuff. I imagine if you have a sensitive stomach or issues with ulcers then you may want to take care, but you'll soon find a happy medium.