Is it OK to Cheat on Your Diet

Options
It's OK to Cheat on Your Diet
Can you eat chocolate on a diet? You betcha!
Published on March 22, 2009 by Susan McQuillan, M.S. in Cravings
When it comes to calorie crunching to lose weight, health experts know that a 1,500-calorie diet is healthier than a 1,000-calorie diet. That's because, in the space of1,000 calories, it's practically impossible to get all the nutrients you need to stay healthy unless you take supplements.
And at 1,000 calories a day, you're getting too close to depriving your body of the energy it needs for basic functioning, like getting out of bed in the morning and maintaining a heartbeat throughout the day.
But let's face it, if you really have a problem cutting back on the amount of food you eat, a 1,500-calorie diet plan can feel almost as restrictive as a 1,000-calorie diet, so it doesn't really matter which one you try to follow. The truth is, you're likely to cheat, and statistics say you're very likely to fall off the wagon altogether. In that case, I actually like 1,000-calorie diet plans better. There's a lot more wiggle room.
Related Articles
• Planning to Eat More and Gain Weight
• Reworking the Plan
• Inflexible Eating
• Jennifer's Struggle
• Back to Basics
<script language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript" src="http://as.webmd.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=2&affiliate=25&transactionID=1309572897&xpg=1671&sec=7002&pos=113&uri=/blog/cravings/200903/how-have-fun-diet-cheat&tile=OmvJg7ic&app="&gt; </script>

I have found that sometimes the best way to help someone follow a restrictive weight loss diet is to lower their calorie intake but also provide a cheat sheet. We work out a balanced 1,000- or 1,200-calorie diet based on foods the client likes to eat, and at the same time, I tell her it's okay to eat a few hundred extra calories throughout the day, whenever hunger strikes. Sneak-a-snack! Once you get up to 1,500 calories or more in your basic plan, however, you can't really do that anymore or your "cheat eating" will bring you up too close to 2,000 calories. At that level, you'll stop losing and start maintaining or continue gaining weight.
Obviously, this advice may not be appropriate for anyone who is eating for emotional reasons, binges, or suffers from a food addiction, but for the average dieter who is trying to lose those "last ten pounds" or something close to it, this could be a helpful strategy.
For most people, weight loss is 90% attitude. If you're angry about having to lose weight, feeling guilty every time you put food in your mouth, feeling deprived because you can't eat as much as you'd like, feeling hopeless and frustrated because the weight doesn't come off quickly enough, and you allow these feelings to take over, there's no way you're going to be successful.
It's very hard to stick to a calorie-controlled diet, especially initially, while you adjust to new eating habits. You can turn your feelings of deprivation and frustration into something a little closer to pleasure, however, by making the experience as easy and as much fun as possible. Easy is all about following balanced, calorie-controlled menus that include foods you like to eat, and having those foods available so that it's easier to stick to your plan. Cheating, or allowing yourself some small indulgences and planning them into your diet, can be the fun part.
You can't kid yourself. If you want to lose or maintain weight, there are limits to how much you can eat, but it makes more sense to find a way to incorporate reasonable amounts of snacks and treats into your diet plan than to avoid them altogether, especially if living without certain types of foods is going to drive you crazy. The secret is simply to plan your cheating, rather than letting it happen randomly or at times when you're feeling out of control. When you have a plan, you have something to look forward to and you're less likely to overdo it. There's no rebellion involved.
You have to stop saying, "Oh, I shouldn't eat this!" when you know you're going to eat it. Instead, whether it's chocolate, potato chips, or pepperoni pizza, figure out how to include small amounts of "cheat foods" in your diet plan and give yourself permission to eat and enjoy them as part of a meal or well planned snack. Even better, choose healthy versions of your favorite treats, and try to combine your cheat foods with healthier foods, as in dark chocolate-dipped strawberries or bananas, baked potato chips with yogurt-based dip, and pepperoni pie with a large salad on the side.
Susan McQuillan is the author of Low Calorie Dieting for Dummies.

Replies

• SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    lmao. i PLAN on cheating this weekend =] well not really, but i'm being more leanant for the 4th. this is a good article or whatever it is. My mind-set EXACTLY. I'm the one in control =]
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It is definitely good to indulge (within moderation) but I hate the word "cheat" in this context. By controlling my portions and upping exercise when necessary, I manage to eat a lot without going over my calorie budget.

I agree that a lot of this is in the mind. For a person like me, thinking that "it's okay to cheat sometimes" doesn't work; it makes me feel like I'm not succeeding. I'd rather up my daily or weekly calorie budget and work everything into the plan. I feel more accomplished, therefore more motivated, when I know I'm staying within the limits I have set for myself.

But I guess some people feel less restricted, and therefore more motivated, when they don't have to stick to the rules 100% of the times. Whatever floats their boat! Every person is different :smile:
  • sqtolliver
    sqtolliver Posts: 20
    Options
    I don't consider having a cookie, some ice cream or pizza for dinner one night cheating. My dietitian told me that I can eat anything I want in moderation. She specifically told me not to do, sugar-free, fat-free, no-carb/low-carb stuff. That was a huge surprise and relief when I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. I lost 2 pounds while on vacation with cakes, candy, cookies and all kinds of stuff that many consider cheat foods on the menu. I usually want junk more if I can't have it, when everything is allowed a little taste is satisfying. It could just be me but I will hop on the treadmill if I want the cookie. :laugh:
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't consider having a cookie, some ice cream or pizza for dinner one night cheating.
    My thoughts exactly!
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    It's not cheating. Most of us here aren't just doing this to lose weight and then stop........we're making a lifestyle change. It would be ridiculous for us to expect, of ourselves, that we will avoid all the 'bad' foods out there that are so delicious for the rest of our lives. It's all about learning moderation/portion control.
  • lindahavard
    Options
    that was my whole point we are in control
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I don't consider having a cookie, some ice cream or pizza for dinner one night cheating. My dietitian told me that I can eat anything I want in moderation. She specifically told me not to do, sugar-free, fat-free, no-carb/low-carb stuff. That was a huge surprise and relief when I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. I lost 2 pounds while on vacation with cakes, candy, cookies and all kinds of stuff that many consider cheat foods on the menu. I usually want junk more if I can't have it, when everything is allowed a little taste is satisfying. It could just be me but I will hop on the treadmill if I want the cookie. :laugh:
    THIS..You can't CHEAT on your LIFE...and this isn't a diet its setting habits for life..for living...Cheating implys no control and we have to get passed that mind set..we are in total control every minute and we make the choices we make deliberately ...I really want it..I am going to have it and enjoy it without guilt!! I will chose to then work it off and be stricter for a while!! But..nope.is not cheating.
  • lindahavard
    Options
    None of us are doing this to lose weight than then stop but some of us need more support ,than other's do.
  • lindahavard
    Options
    I am just trying to say that you can have those things sometimes but not all the time and that dose not make you weak or a failur just hungery and human. sorry if you miss understood
  • lindahavard
    Options
    None of us are doing this to lose weight than then stop
    But you have to enjoy things in order to sick with it that was all i way trying to say. one of my friends was so upset because they "cheated" i was just trying to let them see it was ok just dont go over board and lose all thier progress. I am so sorry if i offended anyone. some people are stronger than other and do not need for lack of a better word cheat days
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating. Most of us here aren't just doing this to lose weight and then stop........we're making a lifestyle change. It would be ridiculous for us to expect, of ourselves, that we will avoid all the 'bad' foods out there that are so delicious for the rest of our lives. It's all about learning moderation/portion control.

Exactly!!!!
  • hillbillygeek
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not really on a diet. I'm just making some healthier choices about what I eat. However, that does not exclude any kind of food - ice cream, chocolate, pizza, beer, whatever. What matters is that I take into consideration what I'm eating and how it's going to effect the rest of my day. So many items may require extreme moderation (pun intended), while other items - like fresh lettuce, will not require so much moderation.

In the end, I can have whatever I want to eat, so long as I stay on course for my healthy living and weight loss plans.
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I agree you get into trouble when you start thinking "I can't have that"... For me the mind set is "I don't want that". I know what got me to where I am... I know what triggers me... I won't die if I don't eat chocolate (or fries, or whatever)... however I will die sooner if I keep eating that stuff. I think it takes more self control to eat a little of something than to eat none of it, if that makes sense... When I am in a situation like that, I just walk away. BUT... we are all different and I sure admire those of you out there who can stop at a taste!
  • sqtolliver
    sqtolliver Posts: 20
    Options
    I am just trying to say that you can have those things sometimes but not all the time and that dose not make you weak or a failur just hungery and human. sorry if you miss understood

No misunderstanding. I'm saying that you can't cheat on a balanced diet. A balanced diet is about moderation. All the crazy forbidden food lists and restrictive diets have destroyed the principle of having a healthy relationship with food. Lots of people who are trying to lose weight do not have the opportunity to see a dietitian or nutritionist. The word "cheat" has a negative connotation and brings about feelings of guilt and shame. So to call having a slice of pie "cheating" on you diet, makes it sound like you have done something wrong. Eating too much of anything is not healthy.