I was doing so well..

Options
I've been doing so well with my exercise and eating within my calories; in the last two months I dropped 8 lbs. well this week has been hell and I haven't gone to them gym and I've eaten everything in sight. I need to get back on track! I'm thinking about throwing away some of the trigger foods (like chips and chocolate) so I can get back into control. Any advice?

Replies

• Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself--get back on track and remind yourself why your goals are important to you. Throw out foods that trigger binges, drink plenty of water, and let go of the guilt for getting momentarily off track. You got this!! You can do it!
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This isn't going to be a quick process! You'll have bad days, bad weeks-- life isn't always going to go the same way. Just remember why you started, and get back to it! Health isn't a temporary thing; it's a lifelong commitment-- and in the grand scheme of things, one bad weeks does not a failure make. You just have to make sure you progress more than you regress!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    This is a lifetime thing, you're going to have off weeks here and there (or vacation, etc.)

One week isn't going to ruin everything - unless you allow that to happen.

When I go on vacation I drop the diet and eat what I want. When I come back I've always gained a few pounds back. But I come back and get right back on the program, and the weight just comes back off.

You have to learn how to handle setbacks, because believe me, you're going to face them. But it's not such a big deal once you know how to handle them. Then it's just a minor blip on the radar.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I think tossing the trigger foods is a great idea. I'm like Gallowmere - I am too lazy to go back out for stuff once I"m home, and if I want something badly enough to do that, well it will be worth it. I'd also recommend trying to get back on target for one day. Just one. It's so much less daunting than looking at the rest of your week, or month, or life. And once you have a single day of healthy living under your belt, then the 2nd day will seem easier. Hang in there, you can do this!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've been doing so well with my exercise and eating within my calories; in the last two months I dropped 8 lbs. well this week has been hell and I haven't gone to them gym and I've eaten everything in sight. I need to get back on track! I'm thinking about throwing away some of the trigger foods (like chips and chocolate) so I can get back into control. Any advice?

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Also, what Run said. Depriving yourself and big deficits can lead to binges.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You did a few days with a little bit different eating than before. So? We're not sworn to eat the exact same stuff every day. @jessicarobinson00 "First Attempt In Learning" I like that!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I try not to keep many snack foods around, but I do keep things like apples, beef jerky, and single servings of cheese. I have way better control having just a few, lower-calorie snack items if I really need them. It's entirely up to you if you want to ditch your chips, but you know yourself and how you'll respond if you keep them there.
    You could also portion out any remaining snack foods into bags or containers and clearly label the calories. Then you won't have an entire family-sized bag in from of you.

And, a consistent 1 pound loss per week is great! Take a few weeks maintaining if you want, but I think you know what you're doing and what it'll take to get on track. I've been doing this for quite a while, and I do frequently take maintenance breaks. I find them to be helpful. You don't have to speed through this if that's not your thing, just stay vigilant!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said! Picture yourself in your 60's with numerous attempts at weight loss (like me), finally doing it for real, and then wondering why you didn't accomplish it many years ago. I think of all the backpacking trips, rafting trips, hiking, skiing days, etc that I missed out on because I was too heavy to go and truly enjoy it. Don't let a week derail you even though it's easy to use that derailment to go back to where you started. Expect to have days that aren't too optimal, log them and move on. My worst trigger is home baked goodies...I just don't make them anymore...unless...I can take them to a function of some sort and have a piece, then give the rest away.
  • TJnTexas
    TJnTexas Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Failing isn't falling down, it's not getting back up.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Doesn't totally sound like binge eating, but your post shows some possible tendencies that could lead to binge eating. Are you following IIFYM or is your eating more structured around meal prep and the generally accepted "clean" foods.

From my personal experience, I wouldn't restrict my food intake. At first things work, but as time goes on it leads to an unhealthy relationship food and possibly eating disorders. Food is not an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend we don't need to eliminate it from our life. We just need enjoy it.

In regards to clean vs. dirty food....

There is no such thing as good food, bad food. Placing labels on food, leads us to ban them from our intake. We say, “No, No, No, No, No…” We push for the perfect diet, once we eat this food that does not fall into this neat diet box; we throw our hands up, saying we failed so now is the time to eat everything we can. This leads to punishment. Which leads to more restrictions. This is the vicious cycle we as binge eaters face. I used to believe it myself, that there was clean food and bad food. It simply is this manifested idea. If you ask a vegan, he/she will say animal based foods are not clean. Someone who is a vegetarian will disagree, and say it is just animal products that are not clean. Then a paleo guy runs in screaming about how meat is clean, but grains aren’t. So someone has to be right? They are all wrong. Instead, adopt my grandmother’s wise old adage of “everything in moderation.”

If you need help understanding IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) hit me up! I more than happy to help:)
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Yup. Literally get rid of everything that will derail you. When I started to diet, I threw it all away. Everything
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    So go to the gym and recommit to your diet. There is no time like the present.

I would also discourage banning or forbidding foods. It only encourages binging behavior, IME. My house is full of chips and chocolate and cooking oil, but I don't have any need to stuff them down my throat just because I opened up the pantry and saw them there. I have learned self-control, discipline, how to fit these foods into my calorie budget and when they don't to just ignore.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My only advice and what works for me is to keep those trigger foods out of the house.. Last night i had a craving for a big bowl of cheerios (one of my trigger foods), but I didn't have any in the house so I had no choice but to ignore that desire, and I got over it pretty quickly.
    Had I had a box here, i would have easily blown 600ish calories, and woken up this morning angry at myself and regretting being so weak willed, again! And I hate, hate hate that feeling.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I clean out the cupboard when I start getting off track, personally.
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I make my boyfriend take the chips to work with him. It's the only way to live in harmony