Stronglifts 5x5 enough?

Options
TehLaughingDog
TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys,
So I'm picking up lifting the again after a long hiatus and started doing stronglifts 5x5 program. However I feel like I'm not hitting enough. Should I be doing accessory lifts in addition to the 5x5 program? Or just trust the program? Feels weird being in there and only doing 3 lifts for the day.

Thanks!

Replies

• Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    As the weight get heavier, and it does rather quickly, you will be hitting your stabilizing muscles considerably more than at lighter weights. That being said, my daughter and I have added Planks and Hanging Leg lifts as the assistance exercises, and have been happy with the results to date.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    The accessory lifts are listed in the app. If you don't have the premium, you could just look at the list, and wing it.
  • Mike02209
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    The accessory lifts are listed in the app. If you don't have the premium, you could just look at the list, and wing it.

Oh, good point, I should have mentioned I did pay the 9.99 for the premium.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    So I'm picking up lifting the again after a long hiatus and started doing stronglifts 5x5 program. However I feel like I'm not hitting enough. Should I be doing accessory lifts in addition to the 5x5 program? Or just trust the program? Feels weird being in there and only doing 3 lifts for the day.

Thanks!

It's a beginner program that focuses on the primary compound movements...beginners really don't require assistance work (not to say they can't do assistance work...but it's generally not necessary). As you become a more intermediate lifter and start hitting plateaus on your lifts, that's generally where assistance work comes in.

Also, the program is basically an intro to power lifting and the core focus is strength, not aesthetics...programs that have more emphasis on aesthetics are going to tend towards more assistance and isolation work on top of the basic compounds.
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    On bench day add in dips and on deadlift day add in pull-ups. Anything more than that and you will overwork your body. I am currently doing the program as well and I can attest to the fact that when the weights get heavy it becomes VERY taxing.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Give it a few weeks. I was thinking the same thing when I started this first cycle and now that the weight is getting heavier than I was previously lifting in my last program it's really stacking up on me. I know it's going to crush me soon as I'm not eating to gain muscle right now, just lose fat, but progress is progress!
  • TehLaughingDog
    Options
    Thanks guys! I wasn't even using the app instead going off of the stronglifts site. Oh technology.
  • TehLaughingDog
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thanks!

It's a beginner program that focuses on the primary compound movements...beginners really don't require assistance work (not to say they can't do assistance work...but it's generally not necessary). As you become a more intermediate lifter and start hitting plateaus on your lifts, that's generally where assistance work comes in.

Also, the program is basically an intro to power lifting and the core focus is strength, not aesthetics...programs that have more emphasis on aesthetics are going to tend towards more assistance and isolation work on top of the basic compounds.

And thank you for the through explanation. That definitely solidifies that I want to be doing the 5x5 program since I want the strength more than aesthetics. I'll keep that in mind for a future plateau - thank you!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking that question because I wondered myself. I feel like I'm not doing nearly what I was doing before I started 5x5. But yesterday's workout left me with a pretty sore body overall. I went for a bike ride last night and my legs were super sore.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Trust the program! And have fun!!!
  • Mike02209
    Options
    Trust the program! And have fun!!!

Agreed. I once took a week off from the program due to travel, and when I got back in the gym the app said "I noticed you haven't worked out in a week, I think you should deload or you are going to be sore tomorrow" I though to myself, its only been a week I can just keep going as normal. In order to do that I had to pick the option, "let me be sore" or something similar. And boy was he right, after that I learned to trust the program.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    OP: If you are actually lifting w/intensity and find each of the lifts challenging, you will NOT need to do any accessory lifts. In fact, you will not even WANT to do any accessory lifts because you will just feel to tired to do any.

Stronglifts and Strarting Strength are both strength development programs designed to maximize strength development as quickly and as simply as possible. However, it seems to be human nature (for (both men and women) to want to complicate matters.

IF you are following the program (and that's a big IF), it is simply UNNECESSARY for you to do anything other than the 5 basic lifts in SL or in SS. You should only need to do more (or something else) when you plateau and cannot achieve strength gains unless you do something more or different, which would put you in the advanced novice or intermediate class BUT you just started again and are no where near that point yet.
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    On my 2nd week of stronglifts ad well! Thanks for asking the question, I had it too! I did have some crazy muscle soreness at first as well, and foam rolling right after lifting has been very helpful.