Would it "kill me"?

Options
so I am allowed nearly 1,500 cals/day. And I can't figure out why. I am 21 YO, a stay at home mother, i sit most of the time. Not very active at all. And I am over 250 pounds. WHY am I eating almost 1,500cal/day? Would it "kill me" (figure of speech) to lower it to 1,200-1,300 for a while since I have 100 to lose?

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Probably because what it takes just for your body to function on a daily basis. I say if you want to eat around 1200 go ahead, but don't starve yourself, know that if you are still hungry you can eat more.

Mine is 1320.. roughly, so yours is not much more then mine at all.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm quite sure barring underlying health issues that you didn't GET to 250 lbs by eating under 1500 calories a day, or even eating a little over 1500 calories a day. I know I sure didn't. I was 314 when I started with a dietitian and reached 333 before I found MFP and started losing weight consistently. I eat over 2000 calories a day, and I'm losing.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You need to be a little more active. Go walking in the afternoon. Work your way up to jogging. Or buy yourself a bicycle. You have to get active.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it wouldn't "kill you" but if you can lose weight eating 1500 why punish yourself by dropping to 1200??
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i have a lot to lose, and my cals to start, when i was still sedentary, were pretty high. but the whole point is to lose weight gradually so you don't stress your body out and are able to keep it off. the faster you lose, the more stress, as well as the more likely your skin won't snap back as quickly. so, you could eat lower cals, but you might start losing weight too fast, or even not at all if your body thinks it is starving. just cause they say the magical starvation number is 1200, does not mean each body thinks it is too :P yours may be higher, it may be lower. i think if you have your activity level set right, and have yourself set to lose 2 lbs, whatever number MFP gives you is the healthiest number to go for. in the end though, it's up to you really. you won't know if your body will like it unless you try it.
  • AllisonMarisa
    AllisonMarisa Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Essentially, when your weight is at X, then the lowest calories you should eat is Y. So when your weight (X) is higher, then your calories number (Y) is higher. The equation is figured so you'll only lose weight at "appropriate/healthy" timescale.

No it won't kill you to eat less, but you may lose weight at a more rapid pace than what is considered "safe"
  • JoRebecca
    JoRebecca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you don't want your metabolism dropping to much and go into "starvation" mode. By keeping your calories at 1500, you are still eating WAY less than you did before and will definitely lose. If you drop too low now, you may mess up your metabolism and actually SLOW down the weight loss.
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it wouldn't "kill you" but if you can lose weight eating 1500 why punish yourself by dropping to 1200??

^^^ What she said. If you can lose on 1500, why make it more difficult by going to 1200?
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi

NO it won’t kill you. I had over 150lbs to loose when I started I went to see my doctor and discussed my goals, he suggested that I aim for 1200 a day but eat more if I am hungry. The advantage of this is I have been loosing a steady 3-4lbs a week which after only a few weeks has helped improved my ability to exercise – therefore improving my fitness and keeping my metabolism ticking over nicely.

It also has alot to do with food choices I try to eat nutrient rich foods and where practical stay away from the calorie rich foods so in essence I get more food for my 1200 calories.

To keep the weight off you need to make a lifestyle change so don’t starve yourself, think about if making chices that you can continue with once the weight has come off.

As for starvation mode I was discussing this with my PT who is also a trained in nutrition councillor, he explained that this really only kicks in when your body fat % drops low (which is why the last 10-20 lbs are the hardest to loose)

You will find lots of conflicting advice and opinions on MFP and you need to try things to see what works for you. The support on this site is second to none and has played a huge part in keeping me on track.

Good luck
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Once you've started to lose weight, you are going to have to drop your calories per day down to the 1200-1300 level if you want to keep losing. If you do it now, your body will be accustomed to it and it will make it even harder to lose the weight, eventually. If MFP tells you to eat 1500 calories right now, do it. Trust me, when you've lost some pounds, it will prompt you to update your settings, and it WILL lower your calorie goals soon enough!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Probably because you are 250 pounds. I say this because I am also 21 and dont exercise much. The only real difference is I am 107 pounds (and probably shorter than you as well). I am given 1,200 calories per day.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Welcome, congrats on getting started! Probably not... But it could contribute to other issues, such as feelings of deprivation, binges, lack of energy, quitting and weight regain (just to name a few). Because you have a lot to lose, your body can withstand a slightly higher deficit than some people. However, that amount of weight takes a lot of energy to move around (even a little) and sustain normal function. MFP uses pretty reliable calculations to determine your cal levels, and provides a goal that includes a built in deficit for healthy, realistic and sustainable weight loss. Trying to lose faster often backfires. Might help to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222019-60-lbs-in-60-days?hl=60+lbs

Good luck reaching your goals. :flowerforyou:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to just follow the guidance; when I started MFP I was on 1980 cals, as I lost weight this went down. I am now on 1530 & still losing, so it works!

If you cut your allowance too much, you'll be setting yourself up to fail because you'll be hungry and cheat. The other thing is, don't beat yourself up too much if you go over your calorie allowance for a day. We all fall off the wagon from time to time, so just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and climb back on!

Best of luck!
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    JessesGirl05 has deactivated their account.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    JessesGirl05 has deactivated their account.

Did we put her off? :huh:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You have more calories because you weigh more. Your caloric needs decrease as your weight does. /thread
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    It is because you weight what you do. You need a certain amount of energy each day to simply stay alive. The heavier a person is, the higher that amount. I know you want the weight off NOW, but the key to successful weight loss is a moderate calorie deficit and time. Be patient and follow the amount MFP has set for you. In the long run it will be healthier and longer lasting.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was 190 to start, I was also sedentary, and MFP gave me 1470 to start with. I lost 10 pounds the first month. I am down to 173 now, and MFP has adjusted my calories to around 1400. So, stick with the 1500 for now. You will see results, and won't be starving(as long as you eat the right filling foods).
    2112540 Posts: 71
    Options
    Maybe change how much you want to lose a week? Also, mfp gives me 1,500 cals a day but it seems like I don't need to be eating that much so I eat 1,300 a day and am never hungry!