Protein

Options
Joanna2012B
Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
Okay, so I am struggling to get enough protein into me. I have never found a protein powder that I like. I am looking for suggestions for a protein powder that does not use artificial sweeteners! Let me know your favourites!!

Replies

• noelani716
    noelani716 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been using orgain, the chocolate protein powder. It's really good! But I am also looking for a new powder, preferably vanilla flavored so I can change up my smoothie once In a while. I also add kale and such to get more nutritional value.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian, or do you lift heavy? In that case you may need supplements. Most people get enough protein through diet, though. More than you can utilize is just expensive boring calories. Need for protein also depends on how much there is of you. What is your height and weight? What is your goal (weight loss, maintenance, gain)? What have you set your calories and macros to?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In my opinion most people tend to under-consume protein when dieting with exception to most old-school bodybuilders who are probably over-consuming protein.

There's a fair amount of evidence that the RDA values for protein are pathetically low and you'd stand to benefit by consuming quite a bit more for satiety purposes and benefits to bone density and skeletal muscle maintenance.

I'd first look at ways to consume more protein through non supplemental means since this will very likely cause greater increases to satiety which, if you're trying to lose weight, can be very helpful.

But beyond that I'd go with Optimum Nutrition as a good balance between quality and price.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, I don't lift heavy. Recently I have experienced the smell of ammonia when doing intense workouts...which is 3 to 4 days a week. I have researched this and have discovered that it is most likely not enough protein in my diet. I want fat loss, without compromising the muscle that I have already built and wish to continue. I am not a body builder...I am just an old broad that wants to be fit and toned. I run, cycle, do interval classes and yoga. I know that I should be eating more protein, but for some reason have found it difficult. I am not eating the same amount of meat that I once did, just don't have the want for it right now. I tend to eat more meat in the winter months. I just want to make sure that I don't lose the muscle that I have now.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    MLO super high protein powder. It's soy based, not sure if you have an allergy. Unsweetened. Packed with nutrients. If you have a Kroger near you, they sell it.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I use Natural Whey by Bodylogix. You can find it at GNC. Jay Rabb's Whey protein is really good as well. Neither of these has artificial sweeteners.
  • Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Vega, Shakeology, and Shaklee are good ones that don't have artificial sweeteners!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Most places that sell protein powder have sample bags you can buy to try out different flavors as well. I know we bought one before we decided on the one we bought. You might check at your local stores and see if they have the sample sizes so you can try out a few to see which you like.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    If there is a GNC or health food store in your area, you should visit it.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    In my experience, GNC pushes garbage on you and their prices are way too high. It would help if you opened your diary and allowed people to take a peek at what you eat and what your goals are.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Calculate your macro (protein, fat, carb) goals on iifym.com. It helps a lot. I didn't realize how little protein I was getting in for my body weight and mfp under estimates.

Also I support optimum nutrition as well. I use their gold standard whey and I've been happy with it as well as happy with the quality reviews I've found. You can find it on amazon, GNC, and the vitamin shoppe too I believe. I pick mine up from GNC. I toss it in cooking and smoothies as well.

In addition, I recommend buying some quest bars. Great protein content (23g) and high fiber (~14g) per bar. Plus they're the best tasting on the market imo.

Good luck!
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Why do you need protein powder? What's wrong with meat and dairy and stuff?

I eat 250-300g of protein a day and only 35g of those come from a shake.
  • CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use Isoflex by Allmax (the chocolate peanut butter is fantastic!). They don't use any artificial sweeteners (I had to google that...) I also just bought their coconut and pineapple flavoured one and while it's okay, I probably wouldn't buy that one again.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »

Many things other than meat have protein. You can also have beans, nuts, eggs...and forget about the powder.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    fatfudgery wrote: »

Many things other than meat have protein. You can also have beans, nuts, eggs...and forget about the powder.

All of those things have terrible macro ratios, assuming that protein is the specific macro lacking. Eggs are a bit better than the other two though.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Beef, pork, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, dairy, eggs (whites specifically), Greek yogurt, and there's more obviously with varying amounts of the other macros. Yes, it's possible to get it in without a protein powder but you're eating a lot of freaking meat then lol. I take in 176g protein, 48g comes from a powder - the rest is diet choices to keep protein high and the other macros in check.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    OP asked for suggestions of Protein Powders stay on topic. I second Bodylogix natural whey, they use stevia as well as Terra's Whey and Blue Bonnet. Some websites offer samples. Google can give you a lot of overwhelming options.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you don't think you're getting enough protein for some reason please see your doctor about it. If you smell amonia working out maybe it's possible it's the cleaners used at the gym...
  • rrlogiurato
    rrlogiurato Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nutraone's Protein One :
    BUILD LEAN MUSCLE*
    SPEED UP RECOVERY*
    SUGAR FREE*
    I like the results I am getting from using this product.
  • teach0722
    teach0722 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm in need of a protein supplement and have no knowledge of protein powders. Where does everyone purchase their protein powders? Grocery store? SAMs? Target? Also, do you just add to water or make into a shake? Thanks!!!