Bagels and donuts in the break room!

Options

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    In my office we celebrate birthdays once a month. It works out really well...as in one cake day for all the June birthdays. I can work in one cupcake/piece of cake each month.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It's like money, you got to decide what's worth splurging and what isn't.

Totally this.

I also try to remember that there's about as many calories in a mediocre convenience store donut or box-mix cupcake as there is a gourmet donut or bakery cupcake. If I'm going to blow my calorie budget on something like that, I want to get the maximum amount of enjoyment per calorie!
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We had cupcakes yesterday. I tried one (and had already logged it). It wasn't out of this world delicious so I threw the rest of it away. Unless it is, in fact, out of this world delicious, it just isn't worth it.
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »

Oh goodness, it's not those Terry's Chocolate Orange donuts, is it? :love: :open_mouth:

Dear God in heaven, such a thing exists?! WHERE. I MUST HAVE ONE IN MY BELLY NAO.

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    In my office we celebrate birthdays once a month. It works out really well...as in one cake day for all the June birthdays. I can work in one cupcake/piece of cake each month.

I'm working on changing our office to once monthly birthday treats. But honestly they always seem to find a reason to buy junk food.

If you can spare the calories and not go over your goal, of course there's no reason you can't indulge.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

That's a great idea. Before I became a telecommuter, I was the Birthday Baker in my office. I only combined birthdays in the same week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    I think the BBC must be spying on us!

Office cake culture is 'danger to health'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36608269

I like the idea of 'fruit platters, nuts, or cheese,' however, I would change it to 'fruit platters, nuts, AND cheese.'
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    akf2000 wrote: »
    I think the BBC must be spying on us!

Office cake culture is 'danger to health'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36608269

I like the idea of 'fruit platters, nuts, or cheese,' however, I would change it to 'fruit platters, nuts, AND cheese.'

when it comes to cheese it's always AND
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We have food in our kitchen area quite often, but it really isn't that difficult for me to ignore it because 1) it usually isn't as good as it looks (so, not worth the calories) 2) some co-workers have some pretty gross "habits' and tend to be the first ones to rush any food that is placed back there. It hasn't always been that easy for me, but when I got really serious about losing weight back in November, I'm now hyper-aware of what I'm eating.

No thanks, I'll pass.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If they also had Poptarts and toaster strudels, that would pretty much be the perfect place to work imo.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's very convenient that I have an immune disorder that limits some of the foods I can eat (wheat and milk I'm talking to you.) Since I usually become violently ill after eating those ingredients, I have no desire to sneak any treats. If I want anything like that, I have to make it myself, and I'm far too lazy for that. Keeps me out of trouble... o:)
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    We had a rep bring in these amaaazing looking cupcakes today and I was practically drooling. I'm sure one was around 300 calories at least. Then one of the other girls said they weren't that good. Glad I didn't waste my calories!
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    They're never as good as they look, especially if they've been sitting there a while...

LOL, oh yes they are. In fact they are better the longer they have been in there and I keep telling myself to ignore them. :)
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Last time I knew there were going to be break room treats, I brought my own Keto nutella swirl cheesecake brownie bites. Crisis averted. :p
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I've gotten better at not eating the food in the break room. Not perfect, but definitely better. If I'm going to go for something like bagels or donuts, I'd rather eat quality ones I choose and eat them in the comfort of my home where I can enjoy it versus eating on the run at work (hospital). I recently went to NYC for a few days and OD'd on bagels and pizza. Worth every carb and calorie. But no thanks to the chain pizza places the coworkers order from here. (happily they've not recently ordered from the cookie place that bakes fresh cookies and delivers them between 10P-3A, although I'm good at getting just one)

I think I'm just finally getting to the mindset of using my decadent calories for quality stuff, not just the food that's available.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

I'm working on changing our office to once monthly birthday treats. But honestly they always seem to find a reason to buy junk food.

If you can spare the calories and not go over your goal, of course there's no reason you can't indulge.

That's a great idea, but if people are bringing in stuff that much will your coworkers consider you a food nazi by trying to change the culture?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

That's a great idea, but if people are bringing in stuff that much will your coworkers consider you a food nazi by trying to change the culture?

I don't know. In my workplace, we used to do monthly food days for birthdays. Then someone asked about changing it to quarterly instead, and surprisingly a lot of people jumped on board with that. Turns out everyone was getting tired of the food days, even once a month. Now that they are fewer and farther between, people enjoy them more and the participation rate is higher.
    My point is..never hurts to ask.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Come to NYC and have a bagel made on the premises, early on a Saturday morning...the same with doughnuts. Then you may not want the break room stuff.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Come to NYC and have a bagel made on the premises, early on a Saturday morning...the same with doughnuts. Then you may not want the break room stuff.

Heh there's a Beigel Bake in Brick Lane, London that's open 24 hours and bakes on the premises. I've met quite a few famous people in that queue! Pre-packed "bagels" just aren't the same, once you've tasted the real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beigel_Bake

I'm one of those that imagines all sorts of nastiness in buffets, but I have a compromised immune system so it's easier for me to avoid - by that I mean that well-meaning people don't do the "g'wan, you know you want some" thing so much.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Heh there's a Beigel Bake in Brick Lane, London that's open 24 hours and bakes on the premises. I've met quite a few famous people in that queue! Pre-packed "bagels" just aren't the same, once you've tasted the real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beigel_Bake

I'm one of those that imagines all sorts of nastiness in buffets, but I have a compromised immune system so it's easier for me to avoid - by that I mean that well-meaning people don't do the "g'wan, you know you want some" thing so much.

My friend who was born in NYC moved to London and complains about not being able to get a good bagel there. She even tried to make her own. I will tell her about it.