Yawning while working out?

Options
I don't recall ever doing this before, before as in when I was actually fit and active. I haven't regularly worked out in so many years I can't pin point when it started accurately but as of recent, it's what I do!!

I find it so odd, so much so I have asked my hubby, tried to find more info on line which isn't always a smart idea (I should see my doctor apparently for some potentially very serious condition, seriously).

Does anyone else experience this or have any insight.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I believe a recent study showed that it was possibly linked to the body cooling off the brain. I tend to yawn on leg day. It's fairly normal.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I yawn a lot too! Everytime I workout, I stop at times just to yawn and I was wondering why haha I just started working out a few months ago after a year of stopping.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i think you are low on oxygen and your body is needing more, why we yawn. maybe do some breathing exercises to pump o2 into your body. Oxygen and proper breathing is important when exercising, sometimes we forget about that part.
  • alicjakrol
    alicjakrol Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i think you are low on oxygen and your body is needing more, why we yawn. maybe do some breathing exercises to pump o2 into your body. Oxygen and proper breathing is important when exercising, sometimes we forget about that part.

I second this...and I also yawn while working out (usually during high intensity stuff). I read (a while ago) that yawning while exercising is the body's way of getting more oxygen (at least one way).
  • CourtLHM
    CourtLHM Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Lately for myself when this starts to happen, I start really concentrating on my breathing. Deep breathes in through the nose and long out the mouth while I'm working. Stops it. A few years ago when I was super fit I got real sick and no one knew what was going on. I would fall asleep on the treadmil! Still don't know why.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    How is your sleep and nutrition?
  • TasiaD28
    TasiaD28 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. I do this to! I thought I was just so overly tired lol.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    This discussion just made me yawn!
  • JAYDENJONES78
    JAYDENJONES78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    HAHA ME 2. YAWNING NOW LOL!!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Every time I exercise in the morning haha. And it would happen so much it would actually prevent me from breathing and I had to stop exercising in the morning.
  • jjalbertt
    jjalbertt Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    alicjakrol wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »

I second this...and I also yawn while working out (usually during high intensity stuff). I read (a while ago) that yawning while exercising is the body's way of getting more oxygen (at least one way).

I learned this in the many science classes I have taken. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    jjalbertt wrote: »
    alicjakrol wrote: »

I learned this in the many science classes I have taken. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I would think if it were a simple lack of oxygen, we would just sigh or take a deep breath. Yawning is a pretty complex reflex, so there's probably more to it than O2. My personal, crazy theory is that the stretching of the larynx stimulates the thyroid gland, which raises metabolism, and the stretching of the roof of your mouth stimulates the pituitary gland, which raises blood pressure and affects temperature regulation. Like i said, crazy theory. Feel free to tear it apart. :+1:

And yes, OP, yawning can occasionally be a sign of a medical problem, or a side effect of some medications (SSRI's if i remember correctly). More on that here: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003096.htm
  • marieegg
    marieegg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also yawn when my blood sugar is low, so I eat!