2»

Replies

• Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Antd420 wrote: »
    How much are you working out now?

90 min weight training and 60 min cardio 5 days a week. I don't want to lose muscle which is why I'm asking.

Any weight training over 60 minutes is pointless in my opinion. After an hour, you are not getting any real benefit. Unless you are taking long breaks.

Why aren't you getting any benefit after 60 min?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Because you don't really burn a substantial amount of calories lifting to begin with, lifting is more about muscle growth...if you're looking to drop those last few, I'd suggest more cardio, less lifting.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Increase exercise intensity.

Try this: 10 burpees, 400m track run. Repeat 8+ times.

Total: 80 burpees with a 2mile run.
  • Antd420
    Options
    Because you don't really burn a substantial amount of calories lifting to begin with, lifting is more about muscle growth...if you're looking to drop those last few, I'd suggest more cardio, less lifting.

I'll try this, it's gonna be hard for me though. I just love the feeling of lifting weights, I could do it for hours.
  • Antd420
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Increase exercise intensity.

Try this: 10 burpees, 400m track run. Repeat 8+ times.

Total: 80 burpees with a 2mile run.

I just started running, I'll throw in the burpees. Thanks!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Also, are you eating back your exercise calories? It could be that you are over-estimating your burn.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You might actually need more calories, not fewer, based upon your exercise level. If the body is starving, metabolism gears down and holds onto fat, so you might want to bump up for a few days, not down, and see where that gets you.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    60 minutes of weight training isn't really explaining much. I could lift 5 lbs in a varying amout of lifts with not much work being done in that 60 minutes. Are you lifting at 75% of your 1 rep max for each lift and how many reps are you putting out as well as how long are your breaks in between? If you just started running, what cardio were you doing before? If I did the level of intensity of cardio four 60 minutes that I do for 40, I'd have a hard time walking afterwards. I do intervals of cardio where my heart rate gets up to a max of 175 and no less than 150. To me, any cardio lasting longer than around 45 minutes with high intensity will tend to start protein breakdown. It seems like you just need to up your intensity in the time you have allotted or you need to get stricter about tracking your calories. I found that the lower my body fat got, the stricter I had to get about tracking. Guesstimating weights and ignoring food additives (oils, butter, etc.) was a killer. It got to the point where I had to bake or steam everything and weight everything before and after cooking to ensure I was as accurate as possible to continue to see even the slightest change, as well as constitantly adjust my caloric goals. I don't know how professional fitness models do it. It becomes a full time job.
  • afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stagnant? Could it just be you're putting on muscle mass/density at a similar rate you're losing fat? Not sure I'd change anything until you've been stagnant for a significant amount of time.......

BTW - this advice is worth exactly the amount you paid for it.....
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Really these types of questions are best answered by you when you are properly tracking some additional information.

Get a body fat caliber and take some measurements.

Weigh yourself

Get your lean body mass

Week 1. Reduce calories and maintain exercise
    Check results
    Week 2. Adjust off results
    Check results
    Week 3. Adjust off results

The scale does not tell enough information once you get closer to goal weight. You need more intense measuring.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Really these types of questions are best answered by you when you are properly tracking some additional information.

Get a body fat caliber and take some measurements.

Weigh yourself

Get your lean body mass

Week 1. Reduce calories and maintain exercise
    Check results
    Week 2. Adjust off results
    Check results
    Week 3. Adjust off results

The scale does not tell enough information once you get closer to goal weight. You need more intense measuring.

This. My weight has pretty much maintained for the last six weeks, with slight difference day to day. I have someone take body measurements for me, and that's what I go off of. A lot of people rely on the scale alone, and become frustrated. Scales don't account for body recompositon.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    How much are you working out now?

90 min weight training and 60 min cardio 5 days a week. I don't want to lose muscle which is why I'm asking.

Any weight training over 60 minutes is pointless in my opinion. After an hour, you are not getting any real benefit. Unless you are taking long breaks.

Why aren't you getting any benefit after 60 min?

You are not going to see any results that are worth that extra 30 minutes. You can also over fatigue your muscles. It's more about quality over quantity. I can get a intense workout in 30 minutes by doing supersets or circuit training. It's all in how you approach it.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Increase the intensity and eat more to stimulate the process. This may be lifting heavier or running faster. Measure your gains. You may be able to slim down and keep those 9 lbs.