How do you make your sweet potato?

Options

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Doesn't sound that weird. I've never had queso, but isn't it a kind of fresh cheese, a bit like cottage cheese? That sounds lovely with a sweet potato. Cinnamon makes sense too.

What does sound a bit weird is when people put sugar on them - they're sweet enough for me! And don't get me started on the whole marshmallow thing...
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think I've tried all of the above ways and they're all delicious. I also like to dice them, toss them with a bit of olive oil, cumin and coriander, and roast them in the oven.
  • Christina2o
    Christina2o Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I made mash sweet potatoes tonite and added just a lil brown sugar and butter, don't judge me lol I'm from the south. They came out really good and made a great sub for white potatoes.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    I like to mix mashed sweet potatoes with potato potatoes, about half and half, but I'm not fond of just mashed sweet potatoes on their own, they seem watery to me. Like mashed carrots.

But I believe there are other types of sweet potatoes which might be better for this? We only get the ones which are bright orange inside, very sweet and a lot less starchy than normal potatoes.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I like to mix mashed sweet potatoes with potato potatoes, about half and half, but I'm not fond of just mashed sweet potatoes on their own, they seem watery to me. Like mashed carrots.

But I believe there are other types of sweet potatoes which might be better for this? We only get the ones which are bright orange inside, very sweet and a lot less starchy than normal potatoes.

The sweet potatoes I buy from the Asian market have yellow flesh and are starchy and sweet. There's very little water content.

They look like this:

Yellow-Hannah-Sweet-Potato-whole-sliced-detail.jpg

When I use the orange sweet potatoes (I think these are actually yams?) I bake them for around 40-45 min (for the large ones) and then turn off the oven but let them sit in there til I'm ready to eat them at dinner. They turn out very smooth after mashing.

• ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I usually make them by cutting them into large cubes, baking them, and frying them in a pan with garlic, raw sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce, finished with a toss in some toasted sesame seeds. The bomb dot com.
  • killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I mashed mine, the other day, then topped it with margarine, brown sugar and a little oatmeal for texture. The oatmeal was just some spastic idea I had and it turned out to be pretty good.
  • BlondeTheHardWay
    BlondeTheHardWay Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wash and cut up in chunks. Steam for 25 minutes or until very tender. Peel. Mash up with just a small amount of honey. Enjoy just like that!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has said this yet cause it's amazinggggg:

Sweet potato gnocchi
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    1) Wrap it in a damp paper towel 2) Throw it the microwave for 5 min 3) Take it out and punch it, literally punch it a few times 4) Eat.
    Lol
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has said this yet cause it's amazinggggg:

Sweet potato gnocchi

Ooh.

I might combine this with the baking-and-mashing tip from @ClubSilencio
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorite ways are 1) baked, topped with black beans and cheddar and 2) sliced thin and layered into a pan as the "crust" for a spinach quiche.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    mashed with sour cream. :yum:
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I bake mine until soft, peel them and mash them with lime juice, chopped cilantro, and salt. Yummm!
  • mkbunny
    mkbunny Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Season them with a little olive oil and curry pwd.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I steam mine (when I'm not low-carb).
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just bake mine in the microwave, put some butter, a bit of cinnamon and a packet of sweetner. Eat with a fork and knife. I've made them mashed in the past, but I added a bunch of stuff to it, like whipped cream, etc. It was pretty good, but definitely not low calories.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just made sweet potato gnocchi, they were really good. Cook and mash the sweet potato and then mix in enough flour (I used SR) to make a sticky dough you can only just handle. Drop lumps in boiling salted water and cook for a few minutes until they float. Then fish them out with a slotted spoon and serve like pasta. I put mine on top of tomato pasta sauce in a dish, sprinkled on grated cheese and grilled/broiled till brown and crispy, but you could just toss them with pesto or butter and cheese or cheese sauce or whatever, however you like your pasta.

(I made my lumps by rolling the dough into a sausage and cutting it up to make wee pillows, but the shape is unimportant, you can just pinch off lumps)
  • Edkot
    Edkot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kind of expensive here but I put it in the oven but I make holes with a fork.

There are also good recipes for sweet potato fries.
  • Philboehn
    Philboehn Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Use cream cheese! I like to cook a few pieces of sweet potato and other vegetables (like cauliflower, carrots, broccoli) in water until they are soft and then I just mash it with cream cheese. It's delicious. You can add some herbs/spices as well (or even use cream cheese that has already got herbs in it). (Ratio about 8:1 so for example 200 g vegetables and 25 g cream cheese)

Additionally, I love sweet potato pasta (I've got a spiralizer, but you can also just slice the potato really thinly) with a cashew spinach sauce. (Recipe here) .