Sugar advice

mayburcm1
mayburcm1 Posts: 14 Member
Im curious if anyone could tell me if sugar amount matters less if it's coming from fruits rather than processed things. I have been eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and feelings awesome, but just curious if it matters less that im going way over on sugar goals as none of it is really added sugar.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    mayburcm1 wrote: »
    Im curious if anyone could tell me if sugar amount matters less if it's coming from fruits rather than processed things. I have been eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and feelings awesome, but just curious if it matters less that im going way over on sugar goals as none of it is really added sugar.

Matters less for what purpose? For straight weight loss, it matters not at all. But if you're trying to keep your sugars and carbs low to help manage a medical condition, for preventative health, or to stick to a particular WOE (trying to stay in ketosis, for instance) then it depends on what you're trying to do and what your numbers look like.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Many people stop tracking sugar here on MFP. It's a carb and we already track carbs. Why do it twice? I switched out my sugar tracker for fiber. So unless you have a medically necessary reason for tracking your sugar, like @diannethegeek said, it doesn't matter.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    I do not track sugars from fruits, veggies, or dairy.
    I try to watch ADDED sugars. Try to keep the added to less than 20 grams a day.
    Got to have my chocolate.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    If you feel awesome and are hitting your goals, I don't see the problem. For me, I have a painful physical reaction to high sugar intake. I've experimented (by accident), and I can have the same reaction from eating too many apples or too many brownies. For me it's all the same.
  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    Added sugars are what really matter In a healthy lifestyle. The world health organization says to stay under 25 grams of sugar a day. If you can do that your probably ahead of 99% of Americans
  • mayburcm1
    mayburcm1 Posts: 14 Member
    Yeah, I definitely don't feel the same if I eat sugar from candy versus fruit. I think I'm going to keep watching the added sugar, the only real added sugar I have had in the past week has been a little bit of maple syrup and I feel really fantastic. Thanks!
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    I have to watch my sugars, because I have, after a couple decades, finally admitted that I'm diabetic -- type 2. I am grateful for the separation of carbs and sugars, because I don't know enough about diabetes to merely watch the carbs. I just took my first insulin shot a couple nights ago. :|